How to get into UK med schools from USA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThatKidMike

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was wondering how American high school students would get into UK med schools? Anything like Atlantic Bridge out there to help out some confused Americans?

Was also wondering - I have heard UK schools are very hard to get into from USA high schools unless at your USA high school you got IB diploma or took IB Classes. My school offers neither :thumbdown:

so would I even stand a chance at UK med schools

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.ucas.co.uk/studyuk/index.html - Try this. I can't find much about IB pre-requisites, but that site might point you in the right direction. There's a couple email addy's there too that you could direct your questions. You'd apply through UCAS regardless. They're not exactly like Atlantic Bridge, but would be the middle man which would collate test scores, application materials, etc.

If I remember correctly, the medical schools (London) I've looked at require a Bachelor's or Associate's for admission. You may want to go to the websites of all the schools you are interested in to see if they will even accept an applicant without any college/univeristy work.

ThatKidMike said:
Was wondering how American high school students would get into UK med schools? Anything like Atlantic Bridge out there to help out some confused Americans?

Was also wondering - I have heard UK schools are very hard to get into from USA high schools unless at your USA high school you got IB diploma or took IB Classes. My school offers neither :thumbdown:

so would I even stand a chance at UK med schools

Members don't see this ad :)
Most UK schools will not accept American students just out of high school - hell, some won't even accept the Irish LC as a sufficient entry requirement. You might have a change if you look around at the 6 year UK courses, although there are only a few of these around.

Univeristy of Aberdeen has a blog page for North Americans, which might help you a lot. http://www.abdn.ac.uk/sras/international/blog/ Also, The University of Edinburgh has a six year course. I would consider applying for at least one Scottish med school if I were you because there are a couple of excellent ones here, and the local entry requirements are quite as stringent as in England (I think it might have something to do with population) I am American and in Scotland, but I went the local route so I can't be more helpful about what these places need from you specifically. I can tell you, however, that the government has made a strict guideline as to what percentage of students can be international in each medical programme (low!), so I would work hard on your personal statement and try to have some other qualities (hobbies, work experience, etc) that will make your application stand out amongst every other applicant.

(moved to new thread)