How to get involved in research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patrick1674

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I was wondering how does someone get involved in research?
I go to a pretty big public university, but besides from asking my current professors, how would I go about doing it?
Just email PI's whose research interest me? And then just introduce myself and explain why I want to do it and just say that it would be for volunteer work?
I figure that doing it for "free" I would get better success in replies vs. if I were to asked to get paid for it.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds about right to me. You could also check out the National Science Foundation's REU program.

Asking your professors cold may not be terribly helpful, but establishing yourself as a student with interests within and beyond the scope of the class would could put you in a good position. Even if they cannot personally take on more students, their recommendation might go a long way in finding a temporary home in the department.

Although, if someone's work in particular does interest you, it certainly couldn't hurt to shoot them an e-mail. If you're a freshman/sophomore, just a earnest interest might be enough. If you're an upperclassman, hopefully you can elaborate on your interests and demonstration an understanding of the material appropriate to a strong student of your field.

It also couldn't hurt to befriend graduate students. They can often give you a better feel for who's looking to take on students and offer opinions on and recommendations to potential mentors (although you're not really in a position to be too choosy).