How to get Research Experience to get into graduate program in Physical therapy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to get into a PhD program after doing BS In Physical therapy .
or If i have to get in a Post Entry level Dpt , research experience will be a plus .

But I'm not able to find how to get a research experience in PT ?
Is it important that research ought to be in PT?

Please help me out in this.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am assuming that you are in a foreign country. Am I correct? If that is the case, then I am very unfamiliar with the educational setup/requirements one might need in order to get into a PhD program in physical therapy outside of the USA. At this point in time, the only sound advice I could give you is to talk to researchers, professors, and PhDs in Physical Therapy, Biomechanics, and Anatomy/Physiology departments to ask about possible research positions. Physical therapy research in the United States is a very specific subset of research that may typically be done someone who has an advanced degree in an area like Biomechanics, Bioengineering, Anatomy, Neursoscience, Physiology, etc. There are a number of programs that offer PhDs in rehabilitation science or exercise science/physiology, but they seem to be less prevalent in the literature than the other degrees. Best wishes to you!

Yes I'm from India not in US ,

But can I have a research experience in a Lab in US before I actually can Join a PhD program ?

Is this a possibility ? because I'm unaware.

If yes How to approach a lab and a professor?

Yes I'm from India not in US ,

But can I have a research experience in a Lab in US before I actually can Join a PhD program ?

Is this a possibility ? because I'm unaware.

If yes How to approach a lab and a professor?

Yes, you can receive research experience in a lab before you get your PhD. Many universities across the country seem to be making a push for more bright, forward-thinking B.S. and other pre-PhD students to receive lab experience before entering a PhD program. A lot of ppl do not have enough or enough quality research experience before receiving their Phd.

Wherever you have access to a university and their faculty is doing research related to Physical therapy is a good place to start. Tell the faculty that you are a B.S. student who wants to get their Phd and would like to engage in research beforehand. If you are willing to do what they ask and are serious then many will welcome you with open arms. It also helps to find out if there are open spots for different lab rotations or different experiments. You will obviously not be the primary investigator(PI) andmay have to do seemingly menial work, but the more experience you get the better. If you do a decent job then it will help to build you research resume, thus possibly opening doors in the future.

-Call different faculty members to let them know you are interested
-Email different faculty members to let them know you are interested
-Try to visit them in their office hours to let them know you are interested