how to get research experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cleavagefurrow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I will be starting my first year in medical school this August. I am interested in obtaining research experience at a specific school in a specific area of study. I was wondering how I would go about contacting people at this school to find out what types of summer oportunities they might have available to me. TIA

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I will be starting my first year in medical school this August. I am interested in obtaining research experience at a specific school in a specific area of study. I was wondering how I would go about contacting people at this school to find out what types of summer oportunities they might have available to me. TIA

The departmental secretary is the gatekeeper - know her (or possible "him", but never seen it) well and be nice. Tell her you are interesting in *[fill in specialty area of medicine here]* and were wondering is she knew of any staff who had research ongoing and might want a medical student.

You will have ~2 months between first and second year free. I would personally suggest that you concentrate on your studies for awhile (dog paddle for awhile before attempting to compete in a swim meet:thumbup: ) . . . but eventually, find that secretary.