pritz786

10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2004
Status
Hello All,
Just went through the scramble the first time and was unsucessful. So I need to strenghten my application and so I need to apply for research fellowships. But I am kinda confused on how to find them or where to look? I would be really be appreciative if somebody could assist. I am a U.S citizen -Ross Univ grad. Looking for something in FM or IM. My credentials are below:

Step 1 - 82 (2nd attempt)
Step 2- 87 (3rd attempt).
U.S clinical experience.
3 LORS.

I know that multiple tries is what is killing my chances but thats done. So now how can I strengthen my application for next time?

Please help!!!!!

KeratinPearls

10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Hello,

To be honest, I dont think research fellowships will help much at all for FM and IM. You really need to find a way to get clinical experience, period. Most programs can care less that you published. They want residents who are competent clinically. I don't know how you are going to get clinical experience, but that is MOST important.

Another thing that can help your chances of matching next year is if you do well on Step 3. You need to pass this on your first try and do the best you can on it. You have a whole year ahead of you and you better start studying with the goal of acing that test (90s). The match is getting harder for USIMGs every year, esp if you have multiple attempts at the board exams.

Good luck.

pritz786

10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2004
Status
Thanks for your reply. But I had completed all my rotations in NJ or NY. Doesnt that count as U.S. clinical experience.

Maybeknot

10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Research experience can help if you do research in a department that you hope to be able to fall into. To that end, I would suggest contacting the programs that interviewed you and ask if they (1) have any research opportunities and (2) if they could recommend avenues to be involved in the department in some capacity for next year.

Otherwise, go through FREIDA and find the contact information for places you'd be interested in doing research. Cold emailing or calling sucks and your response rate will be low, but you might be lucky and find something good.