How to get started, with no Biochem completed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sciencescience21

Reaction score
I just finished my undergrad, plan on taking the MCAT in January 2021 and have taken all prereqs except Biochem. I bought a Kaplan biochem MCAT study book and plan to work through the content in 3 weeks (4 chapters/week) and then start my "real" studying of the other subjects. Has anyone else studied in a similar way (starting without formal biochem experience)? I'm worried that I will be behind the pack if I start my comprehensive studying of all subjects without knowing the Biochem content first, but also don't want to waste my time now if others think it best to take an online course through a university or something else?

I was a Biology Major, Pre-Podiatry, and pick-up/understand science material well but am a bad test taker, so had a 3.4 overall gpa with 3.0 science gpa. I'm very very new to all of this MCAT information and it's all extremely terrifying to the point where I'm questioning if I should even bother trying to study or change career goals so any advice would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, given where your numbers are and your stated difficulties with standardized tests, I would wait to take the MCAT till after completing biochemistry. Biochemistry is the single most important class for the MCAT as the material and concepts permeate all other sections of the exam except for cars. Why take the risk of getting a subpar score by taking the MCAT before completing the course?

Besides the MCAT, not taking biochemistry at all might put you in a disadvantage for admissions. Some schools really emphasize you take their required prerequisites. With that being said, a good place to start studying for biochemistry is khan academy.

if you don't want to wait until the Fall to take Biochem, Harvard offers a free online Biochemistry course on edx.org