LMav

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2005
Status
Since the time is precious, would be nice if you guys can share some valuable tips on how to get the max out of shadowing? Since I will be taking time out of DAT preparation to go for shadowing, just wanted to make sure I'm not missing out any.

Pretty much like do's and dont's.

Thanks!!!

UofM_DMD

10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2005
Status
LMav said:
Since the time is precious, would be nice if you guys can share some valuable tips on how to get the max out of shadowing? Since I will be taking time out of DAT preparation to go for shadowing, just wanted to make sure I'm not missing out any.

Pretty much like do's and dont's.

Thanks!!!

Taking time out of studying for the DAT to do some shadowing is a great idea. You can easily get burned out studying for this test, and a reminder of why you are doing all of this hard work is refreshing.
As far as how to get the max out of shadowing.....remember that you will have 4+ years of structured training of how to DO dentistry. Therefore, do not worry too much about remembering every detail of every procedure you are able to watch. Instead use this time to notice how the dentists interacts with his/her patients, staff, and you. Also ask as many questions as possible (without being a distraction) about his/her life as a dentist.
You can tell alot about a person's job satisfaction, by asking a few questions and "really listening" to the answers you get.

Nendo21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
Visit site
Status
30 or 40 hours of shadowing is not enough to learn much about dental procedures since there is so much involved. I think your best bet is to go to the office and check out the environment, ask questions and observe the whole dentist-patient relations. Don't be nervous or expect too much from this experiance this is just to see if its something you can see yourself doing for a career.

javagrl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2004
Status
i wouldn't bring a notepad to the office, but i would definitely take down notes when i got home so that i could remember what i saw. i found it helpful when i was writing my personal statement and wanted to talk about my initial impressions. don't be afraid to ask questions-- about a dentist's lifestyle, how they manage their practice, advice on dental school, explanations on procedures, etc. i wouldn't ask questions while they're with a patient tho, unless the dr initiates.

burton117

The Big Kahuna
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2004
Questions for the Dentist:
1) Ask for a "philosophy of dentisty" from the dentist.

2) What does he/she consider to be the scope of his/her practice?

3) Why is the office open at the hours they are? For personal or business availability reasons?

4) What are the dentist's favorite procedures and why?

5) What procedures does the dentist dislike and why?

6) Any regrets in dentistry?

7) What motivated the dentist to become a dentist? Are the reasons similar to your own?

8) What is the dentist's lifestyle like? How often is he/ she paged for emergency cases?

9) How would he/she characterize his/her style of managing his/her practice?

Questions for Yourself:
1) Do you enjoy hanging out in the dentist's office? Or does it seem boring to you?

2) Are you inspired and excited to be a dentist after you shadow? (i.e. thinking about it day and night and talking to everyone about it)

3) Do you see yourself doing the same kinds of things as the dentist (in terms of scope of practice) and why?

4) Are you fascinated by all the cool instruments? (I know I sure was, especially because I love to work with my hands)

5) Could you enjoy working with your hands the way that you observe the dentist doing or does it seem stressful to you?

6) Could you see yourself doing the business aspects of dentistry as well? Does it seem like something you could enjoy or does it look intimidating? (You can always work for the government, prisons, etc...)

Here's a few I thought of off the top of my head. Feel free to add more...

PERFECT3435

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2003
Indianapolis
Visit site
Status
Dentist
burton117, i like your second set of questions.

when i shadowed, i really wanted to do it to make sure that i even liked dentistry.

OP
L

LMav

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2005
Status
Good points.. especially burton117's. I'm sure using the time wisely, paying maximum attention will help you during the interview process and also helps with Personal Statement.

What are the questions generally one would be asked while interview that are related to shadowing?

Please keep adding to the list, so that it will be useful to one and all.

Thanks
LMav

burton117

The Big Kahuna
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2004
PERFECT3435 said:
when i shadowed, i really wanted to do it to make sure that i even liked dentistry.
Me too. It was less about "putting in my time" to get X hours so that I can apply to dental school and more about taking advantage of the experience to see if this is something I really could do for the rest of my life.

So far, I think I'LL LOVE IT!!! :D :D

J2AZ

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
Status
Talk with the assistants and hygienists and get their take on dentistry. Ask if you can assist with entering the numbers from the periodontal charting. Also, see if you can pour up some study models or models for bleaching trays.

delicious

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2004
Status
I talked to a lot of dentists about their jobs, and got a lot of great advice. One dentist I shadowed let me make a mold of someone's teeth and that was pretty cool.

But for the most part, I found that shadowing was an absolute and complete waste of my time. You cannot really see what's going on, the procedures they do you won't really understand (you may think you do, but you don't), and it gets really monotonous after a while. Unless you're shadowing a hardcore oral surgeon, I don't think you should spend too much time shadowing. :thumbup: That's my opinion. *flame shields on*

Nendo21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
Visit site
Status
delicious said:
I talked to a lot of dentists about their jobs, and got a lot of great advice. One dentist I shadowed let me make a mold of someone's teeth and that was pretty cool.

But for the most part, I found that shadowing was an absolute and complete waste of my time. You cannot really see what's going on, the procedures they do you won't really understand (you may think you do, but you don't), and it gets really monotonous after a while. Unless you're shadowing a hardcore oral surgeon, I don't think you should spend too much time shadowing. :thumbup: That's my opinion. *flame shields on*
i agree, shadowing isn't of much use it's just a way to get a basic idea about the profession...unless you do some assisting you really can't expect to understand the procedures and the more complicated aspects of the profession... :sleep:

eran76

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2004
Pittsburgh (but from Seattle)
Status
Dental Student
Shadowing is horseshi*t. If you want to see what a dentist does then fine, go ahead. If you want to know how an office runs, the ins and outs, the politics, the drama, the freakin' estrogen, whether you actually want to work in this kind of environment day in and day out, then you have to WORK in one.

Shadowing is like figuring out if you want to work at Disneyland by getting on the rides. The reality is probably not all happy kingdom.

vertical bite

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
Status
burton117 said:
Questions for the Dentist:
1) Ask for a "philosophy of dentisty" from the dentist.

2) What does he/she consider to be the scope of his/her practice?

3) Why is the office open at the hours they are? For personal or business availability reasons?

4) What are the dentist's favorite procedures and why?

5) What procedures does the dentist dislike and why?

6) Any regrets in dentistry?

7) What motivated the dentist to become a dentist? Are the reasons similar to your own?

8) What is the dentist's lifestyle like? How often is he/ she paged for emergency cases?

9) How would he/she characterize his/her style of managing his/her practice?

Questions for Yourself:
1) Do you enjoy hanging out in the dentist's office? Or does it seem boring to you?

2) Are you inspired and excited to be a dentist after you shadow? (i.e. thinking about it day and night and talking to everyone about it)

3) Do you see yourself doing the same kinds of things as the dentist (in terms of scope of practice) and why?

4) Are you fascinated by all the cool instruments? (I know I sure was, especially because I love to work with my hands)

5) Could you enjoy working with your hands the way that you observe the dentist doing or does it seem stressful to you?

6) Could you see yourself doing the business aspects of dentistry as well? Does it seem like something you could enjoy or does it look intimidating? (You can always work for the government, prisons, etc...)

Here's a few I thought of off the top of my head. Feel free to add more...

From the dentists that i have shadowed,,,,, If I asked them the "philosophy of dentisty" they would have told me to leave.

Thats lame. The rest are good though !

vertical bite

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
Status
eran76 said:
Shadowing is horseshi*t. If you want to see what a dentist does then fine, go ahead. If you want to know how an office runs, the ins and outs, the politics, the drama, the freakin' estrogen, whether you actually want to work in this kind of environment day in and day out, then you have to WORK in one.

Shadowing is like figuring out if you want to work at Disneyland by getting on the rides. The reality is probably not all happy kingdom.

I COULDNT AGREE WITH YOU MORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

niceteeth

Niceteeth
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
burton117 said:
Me too. It was less about "putting in my time" to get X hours so that I can apply to dental school and more about taking advantage of the experience to see if this is something I really could do for the rest of my life.

So far, I think I'LL LOVE IT!!! :D :D

Hey burton, I like your quotes from the Bible. It's nice to see another Christian DMD hopeful. :)

12YearOldKid

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2004
Status
Dentist
niceteeth said:
Hey burton, I like your quotes from the Bible. It's nice to see another Christian DMD hopeful. :)
Psalms 81:10 -- Open thy mouth wide and I will fill it.

burton117

The Big Kahuna
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2004
12YearOldKid said:
Psalms 81:10 -- Open thy mouth wide and I will fill it.
The dentist's verse... :thumbup:

Ha ha.. My dentist (who I also shadowed) has this verse on the wall of his waiting room... :laugh: :laugh:

burton117

The Big Kahuna
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2004
Here's a few other fun facts...

How many times does the Bible mention teeth? Answer: 42.

David once prayed that God would strike his enemies in the jaw and break their teeth (Psalm 3:7).

"Your teeth are like a flock of sheep just shorn, coming up from the washing. Each has its twin; not one of them is alone" (Song of Solomon 4:2).

A verse to think about: "Like a bad tooth or a lame foot is reliance on the unfaithful in times of trouble" (Proverbs 25:19).

Several times in the Old Testament, the law of retribution is stated this way: "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth." Jesus moved beyond that in Matthew 5:38-39 when he said, "If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also."