How to get the most out of your medical education?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sozme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been reading a few threads on SDN about how 4th year students/1st year residents complain that they didnt learn enough, didnt do enough, didnt see enough in med school to make them comfortable about going into the next stage of their training. I will be a first year student this fall and my question is simple: How do you get the most out of your education beginning day 1? Participate in early clinicals? Research? Etc.

Members don't see this ad.

So I've been reading a few threads on SDN about how 4th year students/1st year residents complain that they didnt learn enough, didnt do enough, didnt see enough in med school to make them comfortable about going into the next stage of their training. I will be a first year student this fall and my question is simple: How do you get the most out of your education beginning day 1? Participate in early clinicals? Research? Etc.

Not going to lecture!

QFT. Another thing is to know that the best resources to learn the basic sciences are not found in the school curriculum, but rather review books like BRS and Rapid Review; but at the same time, realizing that to do well in class, you still have to focus on what the lecturer talks about. So how to balance the two in the first and second year? that is the question.

Not going to lecture!

Members don't see this ad :)
1. If you already have good study habits (and if you are just coming out of undergrad, you DO NOT), skip lecture.
2. Make up a schedule and try to actually stick to it (otherwise your 10 minute break in the morning will turn into 16 hours of CoD on PS3 / Xbox).
3. Talk to your upper classmen and figure out where the test material comes from (will vary by school... some are lecture-intensive and some teach to the boards. At my school, I use the review books to organize things, and then use the lecture notes to pick out the minutiae that they're testing us on).
4. Remember that actually learning the material and developing a functional and working understanding of said material is more important than the actual grade (i.e. LEARN FOR THE BOARDS, DON'T FREAK OUT IF YOU DON'T HONOR EVERY CLASS)
5. Try as hard as you can to stay caught up with your class. This won't actually happen, and you'll eventually just get caught into a spiral of focusing on one subject because that's your next exam. What will end up happening is you get really good at cramming for one exam, dumping it, and moving on to the next.
6. No matter what, take one or two days off after an exam to unwind. This will save your life.

7. MOST IMPORTANT - AVOID MEDCEST AT ALL COSTS. You don't want the drama that comes with sleeping with a classmate and having the bottom fall out from under you (at one point or another... because it will). You have to see these people all the time, and you won't want to deal with all the crap that it brings. Either get a gf/bf, a FWB, a pay-for-play partner, or a big bottle of lube to keep you happy. Just don't **** where you eat.

Just to be the devil's advocate, I'll say attend class.

Find a study style that works for you and be diligent in it. Since I assume you are a pre-med, don't start medical school by never showing up to class. The pace is relentless, and trying to completely restructure your learning style with no-one holding your hand (i.e. going to lecture every day, keeping you caught up) is a recipe for failure.

Going along with the other suggestions, just don't lose the forest through the trees. Getting the most out of your education is not about spitting back lectures during exams, but instead about learning and mastering material. You can do that through going to class or not, but make that your focus.

7. MOST IMPORTANT - AVOID MEDCEST AT ALL COSTS. You don't want the drama that comes with sleeping with a classmate and having the bottom fall out from under you (at one point or another... because it will). You have to see these people all the time, and you won't want to deal with all the crap that it brings. Either get a gf/bf, a FWB, a pay-for-play partner, or a big bottle of lube to keep you happy. Just don't **** where you eat.

I hate this advice, even though you hear it all the time.

Many people in our class coupled up or began dating in premed or the first 2 years. Most are very happy, and the ones who broke up caused some drama for a short time, but IT GOES AWAY!

You should be smart enough to tell the type of person who will cause alot of drama and be immature about things. Avoid them, to be sure.

But that isn't everyone in the class. You might find someone who is what you've been looking for. Smart, kind hearted, funny, cute, easy to get along with and talk to. If you do, there is no reason not to try to get to know them, and see what happens. My advice would be:

-Don't rush into anything.
-Stay away from people who cause drama.
-Don't be a jerk to someone if it doesn't work out. Be professional.

as much as i am biased towards not going to class, i agree w/ the poster that said you need to figure it out for yourself. Now, I will say that the best thing I ever did was stop reading powerpoint lectures and listening to lectures. The subjects I know the best are the ones where i basically picked my own resources (based on upperclassmen suggestion), ignored school completely, and studied said resources. The first year courses that I actually attended lecture and read powerpoints and class notes I am finding that I am essentially just teaching myself all over again the stuff that we ACTUALLY need to know.

This is something thats hard to figure out at first, but you will. I would recommend going to class at first....not for the educational purposes, but because going to class is fun for the social aspect. I went to school solely to play ping pong and be with my friends. Then there comes a point where you make close enough friends, you arent trying to meet everyone, and your time becomes increaslingly more valuable b/c you are given more and more things to study. At that point, youll figure out the the most efficient way to get **** done so that you can still balance life away from school. For myself, that was not going to class. Maybe for you you will decide that you enjoy lecture. I have friends that attend every lecture b/c thats how they learn best, and thats fine. In the end we all pass.

Don't let people dictate how you learn or what you do. Ask upperclassmen, get as many opinions and ideas as possible, but in the end you should carve your own path that is a hybrid of them all. Everyone does it differently. Only YOU know how YOU learn best. And you actually might not even know that. But you are the only one that can figure it out, and you will. Have faith in yourself and your abilities and you will be a happy med student.

You aren't going to like this answer...

Work hard during 4th year. That means do ER rotations at the craziest county hospital, multiple sub-internships, multiple ICU rotations, and get experience handling as much as work as residents will let you.

You aren't going to like this answer...

Work hard during 4th year. That means do ER rotations at the craziest county hospital, multiple sub-internships, multiple ICU rotations, and get experience handling as much as work as residents will let you.

What about early clinical experiences? Learning to do H&P early? Learning how to use the equipment early on? I have been told that our school allows us to do all of these things and we can obviously seek out shadowing opportunities on our own. I hear a lot of students begin to hate the first two years only to finally enjoy themselves a lot more when they reach third year and are applying what they've learned. What about early preceptorships? Do these help at all? I'm just trying to find a way to really get the most out of my first four years and learn as much as I can that will be applicable in residency.

What about early clinical experiences? Learning to do H&P early? Learning how to use the equipment early on? I have been told that our school allows us to do all of these things and we can obviously seek out shadowing opportunities on our own. I hear a lot of students begin to hate the first two years only to finally enjoy themselves a lot more when they reach third year and are applying what they've learned. What about early preceptorships? Do these help at all? I'm just trying to find a way to really get the most out of my first four years and learn as much as I can that will be applicable in residency.

I felt like my preclinical preceptorships (and free clinics, and medical conferences) felt like trying to do Calculus before you learned how to add and subtract. Learning H&Ps and procedures sounds fun, and it will be later on, but when you don't have the knowledge base they take 10 times as long to learn as they would take if you waited for third year. I would view them as primarily as motivation rather than education, and schedule accordingly. Things I wish I had done, though:

1) Research. It seems like everyone I know is in a scramble for a low quality publication before the match. I wish I had taken the time to get a publication or two back in the first two years (especially the first year) when my time was more fungible and the education was less valuble so I didn't need to scramble now.

2) Learned more, especially in second year and ESPECIALLY microbiology and it's associated pharm. This stuff does carry over, and I feel like I spend a lot of my free time in third year reading through basic books like Case Files and Blueprints to relearn conditions that were, in fact, thoroughly covered and tested on Step 1.

3) Shown up to third year with a thorough knowledge of suturing, basic radiology (espciall, and EKGs. These are skills that come up on many rotations, that you can learn from any one of a variety of books/videos, and which I didn't get around to learning until I was almost done with third year. I would especially emphasize this if you're going to have more than a week between step 1 and the start of third year. Various people told me that these skills were easy and that you pick them up as you go. Well they were easy enough once I took some time (maybe a week between all three) to learn and practice but I definitely didn't learn them by osmosis.

4) Listened more to the class ahead of me. When the class ahead of you says that a rotation is worthless, odds are they're right and odds are, if you're assertive willing to travel, you can weasel your way onto a different service. I basically flushed at least half of my surgery rotation down the drain by first going to and then sticking with an awful service.

Last edited:

Nope. You have to learn how to walk before you can run. This thread is essentially about how to be a good resident, not how to be a good 3rd year med student.

I will interject though, with my standard advice that preceptorships are a very good thing during the first two years, when you have a little time to figure out what you want to do with your life.

3) Shown up to third year with a thorough knowledge of suturing, basic radiology (espciall, and EKGs. These are skills that come up on many rotations, that you can learn from any one of a variety of books/videos, and which I didn't get around to learning until I was almost done with third year. I would especially emphasize this if you're going to have more than a week between step 1 and the start of third year. Various people told me that these skills were easy and that you pick them up as you go. Well they were easy enough once I took some time (maybe a week between all three) to learn and practice but I definitely didn't learn them by osmosis.

I feel like it is a resident's responsibility to impart onto the rotating medical students a little bit of the speciality -- i.e. surgery residents should teach medical students how to suture, medical residents should teach how to read an EKG/CXR, etc. It's a little bit too much to ask medical students to know this stuff coming into 3rd year, and to expect that these were learned correctly.

I hear "don't go to lecture" all the time. If I am learning on my own, what exactly am I paying for, when I go to medical school?

The degree?

I hear "don't go to lecture" all the time. If I am learning on my own, what exactly am I paying for, when I go to medical school?

The degree?

networking. legitimacy. and the Step I permit :laugh:

you're referring to the first two (preclinical) years, of course. after that, you're in the hospital all the time.

Third year, LCGME, and yes, the degree.

Also why was this moved? How is this a pre-medical topic?

I'm guessing that since the OP is a pre-med.

But i do agree with you that this thread shouldn't have been removed to pre-med forum since his/her question was for med students ....(it can't be answered by pre meds now can it? )

Please move this back to the Allopathic forums... How would pre-meds know how to get the most out of their medical education? I will be a first year student this coming August and I'd like to hear what medical students (serious posters) have to say in Allo.