how to get to irvine from lax?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Haybrant

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone have any idea? mapquest says it's an hour; is there a shuttle? i dont really want to rent a car.

Members don't see this ad.

Take I-105 for few miles then 405 South for another 45-50 miles and exit Campus or Jamboree Blvd to UCI. Are you coming at the day of the interview? The traffic is going to be very crazy in the morning. Can you get a flight to John Waynes airport? Because the airport is only 5 miles from UCI.

When is your Interview by the way? I am interviewing on 3/1

Maybe SuperShuttle? I believe it goes to Orange County (I might be wrong). You just wait for a big blue van outside of the baggage claim. Don't bother making a reservation going FROM the airport, but definitely make a reservation if you need a ride back to the airport.

http://www.supershuttle.com/Default.htm

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I'd recommend flying into John Wayne if you haven't already booked the flight, as the above poster suggested. Or even Ontario airport. LAX will be a zoo.

thanks for the post guys; was planning on taking southwest and i think lax is the closest it flies.
And yes ill be there the 1st as well suprnova; see you then! b.t.w, havent you already been accepted to stanf? why even interview at uci?

Haybrant said:
thanks for the post guys; was planning on taking southwest and i think lax is the closest it flies.
And yes ill be there the 1st as well suprnova; see you then! b.t.w, havent you already been accepted to stanf? why even interview at uci?

southwest flies to ontario (ONT). you might compare distances from there to irvine. it may be a few miles farther from Irvine than LAX but it will be WAYYYYYYY less congested traffic-wise. of course you will want to weigh that against the cost and LA will probably be cheaper. Santa Ana would definitely be the closest--10 minutes or so.

if possible you should really try to fly into orange county (john wayne/sna) airport. it is MUCH closer (5 minutes from uci vs. 1hr+ from lax), and you will not have to fight traffic. southwest flies there. it will be a pretty big pain if you are flying into or out of lax anytime between 7am-10am or 2pm-7pm.

i have taken super shuttle from lax to orange county several times. it is reliable but often takes a long time (1.5-2hrs) due to multiple stops on the way and costs around $40 each way. as uclastudent explained, you don't need a reservation from the airport but would need one to get back there. it would be much easier to take a cab from the orange county airport.

i was curious myself so just checked and uci is 42.5 miles from LAX and 45 from ONT.

but it is only 2.7 from santa ana. so you MAY want to factor in the cost of shuttling to compare your prices as you can't beat 2.7 miles for a cheap ride!

its an hour in bad traffic... if you come in late at night maybe 30 or 40 minutes. I'm from newport and I drive back there all the time. Right, the problem is that not too many flights go into orange county relative to LAX (im a pilot so I know this as well)

it's really not too bad of a drive... haha KSNA (john wayne airport) is only like 5 minutes away from UCI,t oo bad you couldn't fly in there though

the 405 to the 73 I think will take you near where you need to get

You'd really be much better off driving to Irvine from San Diego if you're not going to fly into John Wayne. It's MUCH less congested. Check and see if they have shuttles there, as well.

You're better off coming from John Wayne no matter what, but dude, LAX is home to some of the worst congestion I've seen around any airport.

When I was living in Orange County, my prioristy went as following:

1) John Wayne (almost always more expensive, though)
2) Long Beach
3) San Diego
4) Ontario
5) Palm Springs
6) LAX

And yeah, Palm Springs is further from Orange County than is LAX, but the airport is beautiful and small, I'd spend the day out there and then drive back, and I didn't have to put up with the LAX congestion.

(And you'd be surprised at the flights you can find into Long Beach...)

I thought southwest flies into John Wayne? I flew down there once.

Uegis said:
I thought southwest flies into John Wayne? I flew down there once.

They do. As I recall, it's pretty limited access, though.

haybriant, southwest flies into santa ana/john wayne (orange county) which is maybe just 10 minutes from uci. i would fly into there even though it will cost a little more since the 105 and 405 can be a mess.

Haybrant said:

nope, still waiting for stanford's decision. Interviewed there more than 3 weeks ago. Like you, I was surprise by the fast turn around time of some applicants. :scared: See u in Irvine.

someone mentioned long beach. jet blue flies into there and sometimes has really cheap fares. it is approx 25 minutes to uci w/out traffic.

thanks for the info guys; i didnt realize that soutwest flies to orange county; that's what i plan on taking.

see you there supernova

If coming to UCI from the north, You can save a couple of minutes by taking the 405 to the 73 and then taking Bison (warning: Bison is the last exit before the 73 toll road starts. This exit is free, the next one is not). Bison goes into the rear of the campus which is where the medical school is located.

in all honesty, if you decide to fly into lax, just rent a car.

if you can, however, avoid lax at all costs.

Haybrant said:
anyone know how many people irvine interviews?

According to US News 2005 edition, Irvine interviewed 418 and accepted 263 for a class of 92. Not too shabby for us interviewees :)

docinthemaking said:
According to US News 2005 edition, Irvine interviewed 418 and accepted 263 for a class of 92. Not too shabby for us interviewees :)

wow, that's a great acceptance rate. No wonder though that it's so hard to get into UC's and other California schools; they interview so few people relative to other schools.