How to get to UVA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Liquidshock

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just did my research on-line and the plane ticket's insanely expensive. Well I call $500 insaneley expensive :oops: Do you guys have any tips on saving (i.e great flight ticket deals, train I can take from more popular airport, etc)? I am really glad for UVA invitation and I would be HAPPY to attend it, but it would be nicer if it's not taking too much of my $$. I'm already near broke. Btw, I am flying from Cali.

Members don't see this ad.

if you can fly to dulles airport in northern VA, rent a car and drive down to UVA (2.5 hour drive....absurdly easy). Stay with a student host to save on the hotel...

hope this helps!

if you can fly to dulles airport in northern VA, rent a car and drive down to UVA (2.5 hour drive....absurdly easy). Stay with a student host to save on the hotel...

hope this helps!

Depending on the cost of the flight, its only an hour drive from Richmond down I-64. I believe someone at my interview said they took a train from DC, just as a heads up.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you can stay with a student host, that's definitely the optimal choice since you won't see any other students during the interview besides the two tour guides.

The best thing to do is probably fly into the DC area or Richmond and rent a car. It's a 2 hr drive from Dulles, plus a little traffic when you get close to Cville, depending on the time of day. I've never taken the train between Cville and DC, but my friends who have say that it's hardly ever on time.

Ask the admissions office if they have a list of student hosts (I suspect they do), or even if you know premed undergrads here, stay with them. There's a lot of interaction between the undergrad and med school, so you'll get an idea of what it's like.

Good luck! Cville is an awesome town!