how to get USCE for IMG working full-time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jusmle

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello, i am an IMG working full-time in a lab. i am also working on the board test.

Considering the competitive situation in the residency application for IMGs, one of the challengings is the USCE in the application materials. what I read from internet is that the shadowing( Observership ) and volunteer experience in the U.S. are typically NOT accepted as USCE. While I have to work full-time. How am I able to find USCE accepted by the residency program ? people mentioned the externship is an option. But this takes several months of full-time dedication in that paid-opportunity and usually operated by commercial service companies with thousands of $$ and ends up a reference letter upon finishing.

thanks for any tips.

Members don't see this ad.

USCE comes in different flavors these days as you seem to be aware. The only true USCE is the training you could have availed before graduating Medical School. Psuedo USCE like observerships and externships are not helpful for most states as you rightly pointed out, it doesn't count. In your situation, I hope you're working in a medicine related field.
All this being said, there are programs in New York and some other states, which specifically mention that a certain amount observership experience is considered a factor for interviews. These institutions also have observerships, which would probably be your best bet. That way it's an audition for you at the program you are considering applying. Many positions don't require paying for them, so explore and apply early.
The only instance I would consider commercial companies is if you've just graduated and they can help you rotate at a hospital you're already considering applying. Otherwise if you're more than 3 years out of school, I feel it would be a waste.
If you have not completed Step 3 already, passing it with a good score will definitely help boost your chances.