How to go about asking Medical School ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedKiddo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. This year I was unsuccessful in gaining admission to a medical school and was wondering how I should ask what I should fix in my application for next cycle. I heard that most schools will go over this with you, but no one ever told me how.

Members don't see this ad.

Send the admissions office an email. They'll usually schedule a phone call with one of the deans of admissions and you can ask them about your app. They usually won't do this until the admissions cycle is over, but each school will tell you when they'll start doing them.

Just say something to the effect of "Hey I applied to your school but wasn't accepted. Would it be possible to discuss my application with someone from the admissions committee?"

I'm sorry to hear you weren't accepted this year. I hope next year works out better for you.

I also wasn't accepted when I first applied. I actually only applied to one school (not exactly, the best strategy, but it was my dream school, and I got in this year :)). Last year, when I was unsuccessful, they told me I could call in May for a consulation, which I did.

I would call the admissions office now at the schools you'd like to speak with, and ask them if/when you can call for a consultation with an admissions officer on your application, and hear why you weren't accepted.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep. That's how to do it. Some will send you an email eventually with their advice, some will want a phone conversation, some will send you a form letter. For the phone conversations, make sure to have a clear list of questions to ask. You want to make the most of your 30 minutes and you want to hit every part of your app--even the parts that you think are fine, just to make sure.

I second what everybody else said-call them up, offer to go visit them (although not required, especially if you're far away) and ask to discuss your app and what you can do to improve. I would add that you need to be as gracious as possible-don't try to blame the school for not letting you in (not saying that you would, OP!).

Also, prepare to have your heart ripped out during the process, too. One school that went over my app with me basically made me feel like I was so unqualified for med school that no hospital would ever even hire me as a janitor. :rolleyes: