how to go about finding retail job until med school starts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

her34

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm college grad, got into med school and now looking for work. or actually i've been looking for work for few months, specifically lab work and now i've given up on that. i just want a job.

so now i'm set on getting a retail job. something like starbucks, or bookstore, or waitering would be nice. any advice? just drive around looking for "now hiring" signs or should i stop in and ask store manager if they're hiring? any useful websites?

i'll be living in orange county california if it matters.

oh, health insurance would be nice, which is why i included starbucks. i don't know what other retail jobs provide health insurance

Members don't see this ad.

her34 said:
i'm college grad, got into med school and now looking for work. or actually i've been looking for work for few months, specifically lab work and now i've given up on that. i just want a job.

so now i'm set on getting a retail job. something like starbucks, or bookstore, or waitering would be nice. any advice? just drive around looking for "now hiring" signs or should i stop in and ask store manager if they're hiring? any useful websites?

i'll be living in orange county california if it matters.

oh, health insurance would be nice, which is why i included starbucks. i don't know what other retail jobs provide health insurance
Try applying for a job with commission based pay. I work at the Nordstrom at Michigan and can earn up to 30 dollars an hour. So you could try applying there. tThe website is nordstromcareer.com

yeah, I'm in the same position. so I got a job as a hotel clerk doing the night audit stuff. it's not bad and i can do what i want. and then durign the week I'm a high school sub. which is pretty fun. but yeah, i'm in teh same exact boat as u... except I live in the backwoods of kentucky. haha

Members don't see this ad :)
You can have my lab job!

If I were you I'd pick a *fun* job. A friend of mine was a smoothie maker in b/t UG & med sch.

Check w/ your current school's health center re: temporary insurance to tide you over. Usually very cheap (but only covers catastrophic stuff).

Ummm..it's called the classifieds.

To address your insurance concerns: most companies will not start health benefits until after 3 months of continuous employment. I'm sure there are exceptions.

Have you considered waiting tables? The return in cash usually makes the work worth it.

I have a full time lab job but am so bored that I just walked into a clothing store one day and asked for an application. I start on Wednesday :) The pay is half of what I make at my lab job but it's a business-casual store so I can start stocking up on my medical school attire at a very heavily discounted price. Retail jobs might be lame but you have to look for perks like that that will make it worth your while. Saving money is my goal and I'll take anything that will help me do that.

Disneyland is usually hiring -- I worked retail there for a couple of months one summer and the pay wasn't bad. If you're looking for a waitering/waitressing job the restaurants at Irvine Marketplace might have openings. And there's always In n Out!