How to go about getting time off when the manager wont approve it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smilePRN

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically the title. Been with the company for over 2 years and called out once (to be fair, it wasn't even a call out - i offered to come in a little later than scheduled but was told to just take the day off). I have over 100 hours of pto but can't take time off because we're understaffed (we technically aren't, its just that half the staff is lazy and they pace themselves so they do less than the bare minimum). I need a couple days off this upcoming week and the week after to care for family. I don't know if its worth going the fmla route since I need the time off so soon and its for such a short period of time. I'm at the point where I just want to call out every day for the 6-7 days because I know it wont get approved if I asked for it. Managers- why are y'all like this? Its really sad that it gets to this point :(

I know every place/situation is different, but is calling out for that many days something that can get me fired? Any ideas on how to go about a situation like this?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Goto scheduler / dl to ask for floater coverage for a family emergency. Pretty straightforward.

And tell that manager to shove it, work isn’t everything. Real life happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you are a tech.

You have a pathetic manager.

If you work for a chain, they are expected to abide by COVID-19 leave policies or the manager will get hammered, so invoke that or FMLA

I have had multiple weak managers who would not grant me vacation requests for family matters. And like you, I never and I mean never take sick time. My last sick day was over 15 years ago. All of my vacation time was planned in advance- months. I think these managers are just being selfish if you are a worker bee it's easier to deny your vacation then deal with the workload they have when you are gone. Do what I did. Invoke fmla in writing to hr and be specific on the dates and your use of pto. An email would be perfect. This worked for me. Btw it makes it easy to manage because now I grant these requests regularly. No one abuses them and it's a way to retain good employees.

Reactions: 1 user
Only a terrible boss would prevent someone from using PTO (I've experienced it as well).

Sorry you are in that situation. Ask for PTO again, if it's denied then do FMLA I suppose... and start looking for another job.

Goto scheduler / dl to ask for floater coverage for a family emergency. Pretty straightforward.

And tell that manager to shove it, work isn’t everything. Real life happens.
I should've mentioned that I don't work for a chain, so theres no scheduler or DL. And its not like we have a pool of pt/pd staff or else I would definitely attempt to find my own coverage. It's either you're at work, or your 'spot' is empty if you're out. I've been begging for more pd staff that we can utilize in situations like this.
And ya, I wish everyone understood that real life happens.
Sounds like you are a tech.

You have a pathetic manager.

If you work for a chain, they are expected to abide by COVID-19 leave policies or the manager will get hammered, so invoke that or FMLA
I'm a pharmacist lol. The issue I have is unrelated to covid, so i doubt it's covered by any of those policies
I have had multiple weak managers who would not grant me vacation requests for family matters. And like you, I never and I mean never take sick time. My last sick day was over 15 years ago. All of my vacation time was planned in advance- months. I think these managers are just being selfish if you are a worker bee it's easier to deny your vacation then deal with the workload they have when you are gone. Do what I did. Invoke fmla in writing to hr and be specific on the dates and your use of pto. An email would be perfect. This worked for me. Btw it makes it easy to manage because now I grant these requests regularly. No one abuses them and it's a way to retain good employees.
That's the thing, they just don't want to deal with the amount of actual work everyone else has to do in my absence. It's really a shame because I am a really good employee and I'll end up going part time or leaving all together if this continues
Only a terrible boss would prevent someone from using PTO (I've experienced it as well).

Sorry you are in that situation. Ask for PTO again, if it's denied then do FMLA I suppose... and start looking for another job.
It really sucks :( And I do like my job. But I have a life outside of it...

I should've mentioned that I don't work for a chain, so theres no scheduler or DL. And its not like we have a pool of pt/pd staff or else I would definitely attempt to find my own coverage. It's either you're at work, or your 'spot' is empty if you're out. I've been begging for more pd staff that we can utilize in situations like this.
And ya, I wish everyone understood that real life happens.

I'm a pharmacist lol. The issue I have is unrelated to covid, so i doubt it's covered by any of those policies

That's the thing, they just don't want to deal with the amount of actual work everyone else has to do in my absence. It's really a shame because I am a really good employee and I'll end up going part time or leaving all together if this continues

It really sucks :( And I do like my job. But I have a life outside of it...
With this pharmacist market there is no reason any pharmacist employer can't have a pool of qualified hourly only fill ins. Jobs with no benes. Nowadays it will 20 and older rphs not the 60 and 70 year olds like in past years. Maybe your pto is a false benefit. They advertise is to get you there but never let you take it. Then when you leave they don't pay it out.

What did HR say when you went to them?
might be an independent with no HR lol no way a semi big company wouldn't let you take a few days off especially you have 100 hours of PTO saved

might be an independent with no HR lol no way a semi big company wouldn't let you take a few days off especially you have 100 hours of PTO saved
I have had this happen to me at large organizations.

Reactions: 1 user
Contact your state dept of Labor even if you don't agree with HR. They will give you the legal answer.

I've had this issue. Ultimately I quit, which led to greater work happiness. This might not be the best answer though.