How to handle rejection letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1069873

I just received a denial from my top choice school. I am extremely appreciative of the two other interviews I have received and knew that rejection was most likely something I was going to be facing within the next few months. However, I just can't help feeling really upset. Any advice on how you guys handle/handled it?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just received a denial from my top choice school. I am extremely appreciative of the two other interviews I have received and knew that rejection was most likely something I was going to be facing within the next few months. However, I just can't help feeling really upset. Any advice on how you guys handle/handled it?

trust the process...

True story: when I got my first dental school rejection letter in the mail a few years ago, I ripped it up and threw it in the trash and pretended like it didn't happen. Out of sight, out of mind.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
True story: when I got my first dental school rejection letter in the mail a few years ago, I ripped it up and threw it in the trash and pretended like it didn't happen. Out of sight, out of mind.
Thank you for saying that. I actually am going to do that right now lol

Honestly a lot of the time it’s for the best. You’ll find things that you love about the school that you’ll ultimately go to, and realize later that you are happy with the way things ended up.

Plus, you never want to go somewhere where they don’t believe in you, which is what a rejection tells you. Just means you’ll take your talents elsewhere. Their loss.

Reactions: 4 users
I received a denial as well from my top choice last week, which happens to be my home institution. Just try to be positive. At the end of the day, the best dental school is the one that accepts you. As the above comment states, why going to a place where my potentials are not recognized?

Reactions: 3 users
@S_Diamond_DDS @09mileproof Honestly thank you guys so much for your comments. It makes me remember why I am so happy to be on SDN. Made me feel so much better!
I got rejected over 3 cycles a total of 23 times and it stings every time. You can’t let it define you or how you feel about yourself. There are so many people trying to attain this limited number of spaces. It just takes the one place and the one right time and you’ll get it. You just have to keep on going each day until you see yourself where you want to be. 3 years later, 23 rejections, a post-bacc, and MS degree later here I am in dental school. Just keep pushing on.

Reactions: 8 users
Getting rejected for anything always hurts. Sometimes it's not because you're not good enough, it's just there are so many amazing people it's hard for the schools to just pick a few out of hundreds. Chalk it up to bad timing and move on. You'll need to get use to disappointment when you eventually start dental school. I can't count how many times I've been kicked and knocked down from classes/tests/skills assessments, it's a never ending cycle of hurt and discouragement.

F it we ball

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Sorry to hear that. How many schools did you apply to?

I literally got rejected from 10 schools.
All you need is 1 interview. 1 acceptance.

Now I am a doctor : )

Keep it up!

• Love
Send them a letter rejecting their decision to reject you. Power play.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Sorry to hear that. How many schools did you apply to?
28... 😭 all of my savings... so I see that this may not be a huge deal.. but it was my top choice so just was upsetting at first, but thanks to everyone on here it’s helped :)

Honestly a lot of the time it’s for the best. You’ll find things that you love about the school that you’ll ultimately go to, and realize later that you are happy with the way things ended up.

Plus, you never want to go somewhere where they don’t believe in you, which is what a rejection tells you. Just means you’ll take your talents elsewhere. Their loss.
I have decided to take my talents to South Beach and join the Miami Heat...then they won championships...sometimes you just gotta go where you gotta go :)

Reactions: 3 users
Hey! I think it's very normal to be upset, and coming from someone who got a rejection this past Wednesday, I understand the feeling. :( However, I've found it to be SO important to keep believing in yourself! You should be very proud that you have completed the DAT, have taken pre-recs, and even helped people with any volunteering/work you've done! I know rejection is hard and that this reply is cliché, but this is just a step in the process :)
I hope this helps!

Just keep in mind that you will eventually get in, everybody ultimately does if you keep working at it. Also don't stress too much about it, because you will have more stresses in dental school and after. What I'm saying is keep your head up this is part of the process.

• Care
If you haven’t gotten in anywhere yet - shoot them a thank you email and call admissions for advice on how to approve your application or if they can tell you anything about how you did on your interview.

Jump on that info and get things in order for January interviews!

well, rejections of dental schools won't be the first round of rejections you will receive anyways so just get used to it.

In life, there are countless of rejections. Grow thick skin, focus on your goal, get in somewhere, and become a dentist.