How to Impress on Internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TiptoeConqueror

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that at this point in our training it might be hard to distinguish ourselves from our equally accomplished peers, but what might set an intern apart from others in the neuro realm (given that there is probably not much one can do during clinical year in terms of research productivity)? I want to leave a really good impression on my supervisors now that I feel I have a better understanding of how my different rotations work. For those of you who work with trainees, what have you been impressed with? For those current or former interns, what unique positive feedback did you get?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The advice that I would give is the same regardless of specialty: Don't worry about if you're better than other interns - worry about if you are the best trainee you can be and if you are taking advantage of opportunities. If you want to leave a good impression, complete your work in a timely manner, be mindful and attentive to the quality of reports you produce, consider cases and present your conceptualizations as well grounded in contemporary literature, and be willing to both ask questions and propose ideas. Importantly, don't be annoying to work with.

Reactions: 5 users
The advice that I would give is the same regardless of specialty: Don't worry about if you're better than other interns - worry about if you are the best trainee you can be and if you are taking advantage of opportunities. If you want to leave a good impression, complete your work in a timely manner, be mindful and attentive to the quality of reports you produce, consider cases and present your conceptualizations as well grounded in contemporary literature, and be willing to both ask questions and propose ideas. Importantly, don't be annoying to work with.
Do all of the above (excellent advice) and, metaphorically, don't grab the wheel too tightly (death grip) or worry that things aren't working out like they're supposed to (e.g., that you're not impressing your supervisor or peers enough). Sometimes, less is more. Relax and let your training experience unfold. Wisdom comes from 'failing' and receiving corrective feedback...from your clients, peers, supervisors, or the world in general. You'll have your entire career ahead of you to do everything professionally you want to do and to pursue 'perfection.'

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do all of the above (excellent advice) and, metaphorically, don't grab the wheel too tightly (death grip) or worry that things aren't working out like they're supposed to (e.g., that you're not impressing your supervisor or peers enough). Sometimes, less is more. Relax and let your training experience unfold. Wisdom comes from 'failing' and receiving corrective feedback...from your clients, peers, supervisors, or the world in general. You'll have your entire career ahead of you to do everything professionally you want to do and to pursue 'perfection.'

Agreed. I wish more supervisors thought like this.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed. I wish more supervisors thought like this.
I had a great supervisor in graduate school who influenced me the most as a psychotherapist (oddly enough, he was a psychiatrist--but one who valued psychotherapy tremendously (having been one of the original psychiatrists trained by Aaron Beck)). He taught me that good cognitive therapy can (and should be) an enjoyable experience and one that should tap the therapist's creativity and passion. He taught me that one should not try too hard to have 'a perfect session' but, rather, be present as the session unfolds between therapist and client. Of course, he (and others) graded me objectively using the Cognitive Therapy Rating Scale (to make sure I was utilizing the appropriate techniques) but the focus wasn't so much on 'checking off all the checkboxes' in terms of slavishly working through a set number of pre-fixed agenda items. He was a believer in protocol therapies (especially in a research context), but didn't believe (at all) that you can only do effective therapy using a pre-scripted fixed protocol. He taught me that it's far better to work Socratically and collaboratively with a client to apply a single technique in session than to try to complete too many too complex interventions in a single session. He taught me that a solid working therapeutic relationship is a pre-requisite to the successful implementation of ANY intervention or technique. I wish more psychotherapy supervisors (and administrators) thought like him. I would imagine that, even in neuropsych, the best supervisors adhere to core principles (that are evidence-based) but are not slavishly adherent to fixed approaches to address all problems or presentations. So, indeed, there is no 'perfect' work product...only the application of skill, wisdom, and technique (in context) with the proper sense of openness to what the complex and unique situation presents. Good therapy should be, essentially, 'fun' (although, of course, not always).

Reactions: 3 users
I know that at this point in our training it might be hard to distinguish ourselves from our equally accomplished peers, but what might set an intern apart from others in the neuro realm (given that there is probably not much one can do during clinical year in terms of research productivity)? I want to leave a really good impression on my supervisors now that I feel I have a better understanding of how my different rotations work. For those of you who work with trainees, what have you been impressed with? For those current or former interns, what unique positive feedback did you get?
Something that came up repeatedly in my letters of rec from internship supervisors was how I solicited and incorporated feedback. So don't wait until formal review opportunities to ask for feedback!

Reactions: 2 users