Silac

2+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I am currently a junior white guy at a state university. The purpose of this thread is to get some criticism on how I am doing and how to improve. I am Texas resident and would really like to gain admittance to UTSW or Baylor. However, I really want to go to med school in an urban area and I also have an interest in continuing research as a physician (if I get that far). That being said I have my eyes on top 20 schools primarily because of those two reasons and because of match rates to competitive residencies. So I'll describe what I am doing below and hopefully you guys can give me some feedback!
Note: I am taking 1 gap year. Will be applying May/June after senior year.

GPA: 4.0

Research:
-Clinical Research Internship: 4-5 months, no tangible productivity, did not interact with patients on a regular basis but there was some. Really interesting experience because I was able to sit in on various meetings, meet physician researchers, work with nurses, and open opportunities.
-Research Lab #1: 12 months, No tangible productivity, learned basic lab skills, learned about the research process and working in a team
-Research Lab #2: Ongoing, going to international conference, presenting poster soon, 1 st author publication in the works. This lab is very productive. I should end up with multiple posters, presentations, publications, and possibly grants.

Clinical Volunteering:
-Hospital ER: 50 hours, this experience has some merit but I stopped because I felt I could learn more/make a difference in other ways
-Hospice: 100+ hours now (be around 350 hours over 2.5 years by application). I really enjoy this.
- Other: 50+ hours in volunteering with another program. Cant really describe this and preserve anonymity.

Non-Clinical Volunteering:
Currently have a couple hundred. Will have over 1000 by application. Includes working with children and undeserved communities at different organizations.

Leadership:
-Founded organization serving undeserved population (same one that my non-clinical volunteering revolves around) via outreach and education. Significant time commitment. Results in 100's of hours of student service.
-Sit on school service board
-Peer mentor

Shadowing:
250+ hours with 5 different specialties including primary care.

My self perceived weaknesses are clinical experience and teaching. Do you guys have any advice for me?

OP
S

Silac

2+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Haven't taken it yet. This upcoming summer I'll spend May until September studying. It will be my primary focus while I also volunteer (11 hrs/ wk) and do minimal research. I'm expecting to study 6-8 hr/ day for 6 days a week during that time. Hoping that amount of preparation will get me a competitive score.

About the Ads
OP
S

Silac

2+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
@LizzyM @gyngyn Do either of you guys have any input for this thread?

Sharknad0

2+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
We need an MCAT, otherwise just search other threads. A 507 vs a 518 could mean very different lists.

premeddestiny

lol
2+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2017
pacific coast
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Your experiences and GPA look good. With an MCAT, we will be able to get a better list; if you rock that MCAT, (scoring >517), then you'll get some love from Top 20s.

You might try teaching through tutoring peers (or grade school students) to not just build on that experience, but also make money.

Reactions: Silac

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
The odds of leaving TX are slim for all but the most exceptional MD candidates.
Only 208 (of 4,531) TX residents matriculated OOS last year.

OP
S

Silac

2+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
The odds of leaving TX are slim for all but the most exceptional MD candidates.
Only 208 (of 4,531) TX residents matriculated OOS last year.
Thanks for the input! I have seen that statistic before. Is that a result of OOS schools (even private schools?) veering away from Texans because of the many options within Texas or because of Texans choosing to stay in state due to price?

I don't have much reference as far as quality of applicants. What would you classify as exceptional? I realize it's impossible to determine the quality of my application without a MCAT score. However, given a high percentile* MCAT score am I heading into that group of applicants?

*I know a high MCAT score is not guaranteed but the purpose of this post was geared more towards assessing my EC's rather than academics (But I am open to any sort of input)

Last edited:

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Is that a result of OOS schools (even private schools?) veering away from Texans because of the many options within Texas or because of Texans choosing to stay in state due to price?
These are but two of the reasons.
TX has essentially seceded from the union with multiple excellent (cheap) IS schools, a separate application system and a statutory mandate to accept at least 90% IS (except Baylor whose minimum is 80%).

The TX residents who attended an OOS school for college or whose accomplishments or experience make them a recruitment candidate are the only ones likely to get MD interviews.

OP
S

Silac

2+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
These are but two of the reasons.
TX has essentially seceded from the union with multiple excellent (cheap) IS schools, a separate application system and a statutory mandate to accept at least 90% IS (except Baylor whose minimum is 80%).

The TX residents who attended an OOS school for college or whose accomplishments or experience make them a recruitment candidate are the only ones likely to get MD interviews.
If it makes a difference the state school I attend is not within Texas. Does this hurt my chances at Texas schools (I am still a Texas resident)? I do not have an interest in attending any schools in the state I currently live in primarily because of OOS prices and some other variables.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
If it makes a difference the state school I attend is not within Texas. Does this hurt my chances at Texas schools (I am still a Texas resident)? I do not have an interest in attending any schools in the state I currently live in primarily because of OOS prices and some other variables.
You will not suffer a disadvantage inTX (from what I've seen). You will get consideration in the state where you attend school. Other states may not be so generous.

About the Ads