How to improve CARS in 6 weeks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tvbbnumber41

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the AAMC sample test FL and according to various converters from reddit I scored approx a 125-6. I really need to get this up to at LEAST a 128. On the CARS volume 1 I'm honestly getting murdered with getting less than 50%. It's been really discouraging seeing that I haven't really seen improvements the past month. Does anyone have any tips or resources I should look into? It's obvious at this point effort and quantity isn't enough.....

Members don't see this ad.

The first half of CARS volume 1 is tough so keep at it.

Do 3-4 timed passages a day and review your answers right after. This will help with pacing and to refine your approach- remembering to always choose an answer choice that is most supported by the passage. Sometimes this is the "least wrong" answer.

I took the AAMC sample test FL and according to various converters from reddit I scored approx a 125-6. I really need to get this up to at LEAST a 128. On the CARS volume 1 I'm honestly getting murdered with getting less than 50%. It's been really discouraging seeing that I haven't really seen improvements the past month. Does anyone have any tips or resources I should look into? It's obvious at this point effort and quantity isn't enough.....

CARS is actually my strength. I used to score in the low 50th percentile but with some polishing I score in the 90th percentile.

With 6 weeks, I think you've got time to improve your score.

Someone recommended Testing Solutions CARS Guide and that is an excellent resource. Based on that guide, here is what I do everyday: I do 6 passages, sometimes 7, under timed conditions. I give myself 7 minutes, 45 seconds, to do each passage. If you don't finish before the timer goes off, move on to the next passage anyways. Because I've given this enough practice, I usually finish each passage with a little over a minute to spare. In the beginning, you may not; maybe you can start with 8 or 9 minutes, even 10. 9 passages in 90 minutes means 10 minutes per passage, so I don't think it's bad to start out with 10 minutes. You should read the guide though, you will find many more methods of practicing and tips etc. in there. Highly recommended.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cars(verbal when I last took the mcat) went from being my weakest to strongest section over the course of about two months. I did two timed passages a day and spent more time reviewing my work than actually practicing. I would look at the answers I got wrong, dissect the reasoning which lead me to those incorrect answers, and record it in a journal that I read before practicing again the following day. This kept me progressing and always conscious of the errors I was trying to fix. Aside from mindless errors, my main issue was using personal interpretation rather than passage info to answer questions. This is the big challenge encountered when choosing between those last two answer choices. When reviewing my work, I found that the correct answer didn't have to make sense, it just had to reference something clearly stated in the passage. The other incorrect answer was more tempting to choose because it made a logical assumption. That assumption was never supported in any way by the passage, however. I began consistently scoring in the 90th percentile when I nailed down the practice of transferring passage info to the questions without any interference whatsoever. This sounds super obvious but it's tough. You have to be attentively thoughtless if that makes sense. Read the passage carefully. Don't let any sentence go without understanding it. When answering the questions, never choose one that is logical. Only choose one that is supported by the passage info.

Reactions: 1 user