How to improve for next cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemons24limes

Reaction score
Hi im a 1st time applicant and applied to 5 schools (Davis, Cornell, WSU, OSU, and Wisconsin)
So far ive been rejected by my IS school (davis) and now I dont feel confident that I'll get into a school this year. What are some ways I can improve for next year? I feel like my GPA is really low (total 3.3, last 45 3.4, and science 3.3) and my GRE scores were below average too. I have thousands of hours in shelter medicine and a good amount of hours in large animal medicine too so i feel like my experiences are the only solid thing i have going for me. Im also going to be completing my bachelors this year so I do still have a chance to improve my GPA but realistically I think I could only get them up to maybe a 3.5. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi im a 1st time applicant and applied to 5 schools (Davis, Cornell, WSU, OSU, and Wisconsin)
So far ive been rejected by my IS school (davis) and now I dont feel confident that I'll get into a school this year. What are some ways I can improve for next year? I feel like my GPA is really low (total 3.3, last 45 3.4, and science 3.3) and my GRE scores were below average too. I have thousands of hours in shelter medicine and a good amount of hours in large animal medicine too so i feel like my experiences are the only solid thing i have going for me. Im also going to be completing my bachelors this year so I do still have a chance to improve my GPA but realistically I think I could only get them up to maybe a 3.5. Any advice?
If it’s possible, I wouldn’t graduate until you can raise your GPA more.

Do file reviews first and foremost when you get rejections as schools are the best at telling you what you can improve on to get into their program.
For wsu I believe you fall in tier 2 and oos is extremely competitive to reach admission but definitely not impossible!
Definitely keep working toward your best grades. Diversify your experience inside and outside vet med. If you have to reapply take what the schools reviews say to heart and look at schools that fit your profile as an applicant because it isnt always 100% grades or great that make or break an applicant but sometimes it is

If it’s possible, I wouldn’t graduate until you can raise your GPA more.
Unfortunately I can’t really afford to not graduate this year so hopefully taking some classes at my local cc would have the same effect