How to improve in MCAT Sciences....for those who care to read :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wearethefuture

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys :)

So first of all, I scored a 38R on my MCAT with a 15PS, 9VR, 14BS, and R in writing sample (yes I know that my Verbal isn't the most stellar thing in the world). I would like to give all of you future MCAT takers some advices on how to truly dominate the MCAT sciences. By dominating I am talking about being able to consistently score 14s or 15s (at worst with the occasional 13s if you are VERY unlucky) in practice tests and on the real MCAT.

I should add that on my Kaplan PS diagnostic I scored a 14 and a 11 in BS. My average practice for Physics is a 14.5 and for Biology a 14.8 based on 15 practices.

Physical sciences
-Pre-requisites (Physics 1 and 2, General Chemistry, Inorganic chemistry)
-Recommended pre-requisites:

-Mastery of calculus based physics (this is NO SUCH THING AS ALGEBRA PHYSICS as in the case of all the commericial prep books out there. If you want to be the best, go beyond it!!! It is impossible to score in the 14-15s without extensive knowledge in calculus, though the questions may NOT directly require knowledge of calculus.
-Calculus courses (Cal 1, Cal 2 and Cal 3 (multivariable and vector calculus) and differential equations (typically offered as a second year class).
-Physical chemistry, analytical chemistry, and basic ideas of quantum mechanics BEYOND E-hf (a highschool kid knows that) and photoelectric effect.

-Skills
-Derive equations. Can you derive equations ALL from scratch. Yes, the MCAT does not require it, but it is again impossible to have a true understand of anything if you can't even derive it. For instance, the famous equation 1/p+1/q=1/f (takes about 2 pages of derivation by the way) is only an approximation for paraaxial rays. Do you know truly know why? Also, integration (in kindergarden language=area) of P(V) function is work. Do you know why? Do you know what is a quasi static assumption? (Simply put, the integration of P(V) function is NOT WORK..... it is an approximation. Check any first/second year level physics textbook and read about it). Another classic example, do you TRULY understand entropy? A sad but very common mistake in prep books (for instance, KAPLAN....) is that dS=dQ/T. This is NOT true. dS=dQr/T (i.e as entropy is a state function, the infinistimal change of entropy can be evaluated based on heat change of a REVERSIBLE PATHWAY.

-Practice LOTS of problems (NOT from MCAT....from your physics textbook. NOT those simple ones. Look at the hardest of all questions and do them. Think about them constantly until you GET them....sometimes I would think about a question (no jokes) for 5 hour straight before I come up with an answer with the "aha" moment.

-Same thing goes with MCAT chemistry

-You will then (trust me) ace the MCAT Physical Sciences

MCAT Biological Sciences
-Prereqs
Basic biology and organic chemistry, biochemistry, genetics
-Recommended prereq
Organic chemistry III (stereochemistry and stereo control), anatomy, human physiology, genomics, molecular biology, intermediate metabolism, and all OTHER upper year level bio/chem classes.

-Here the key thing is to GO BEYOND ANY PREP BOOK THERE IS. Even with TBR (which is very complete to their credit) is lacking in details. I took a year long class in advanced mammalian physiology (human physiology), and TBR condenses all that physiology information in one book? If you want to score well, go beyond it by A LOT.

-Molecular biology....highschool level molecular bio (as in the case of the Kaplan book) will NOT CUT IT NOW, samething with the TBR books if you want to truly score well. You need to GO BEYOND THEM!!! Take a upper year level molecular biology/genomics class. Advance your knowledge.

-Org chem: again, GO BEYOND PREP BOOKS. I would suggest that beyond Org I and II, take Org III. Before you TAKE ANY PREP TEST, ask yourself, do you know the following
-Org I and Org II (the basics)
-Dicarbonyl chemistry
-Nitrogen chemistry
-Molecular orbital theory (i.e cycloaddition, electrocyclic additions...etc)
-Stereo control (Zimmerman transition state, Felcon Anh model...etc)

-Critical thinking: the BEST way to practice it is to ask questions. Remember, the job of the professors is to PERSUADE YOU what THEY think is right based on WHAT THEY KNOW. Critically think....find holes in their arguments, find problems left unsolved, find contradictions in their theories.

-Read papers....get used to reading and CRITICIZING papers as you read. What controls are the experimenters missing? Is the result trustworthy? Is the interpretation correct? What other alternative hypothesis/model, given the information, can I come up with? How would I better the paper?

-Know some advaned molecular biology techniques BEYOND western blots, PCRs...etc...... everyone knows them. GO beyond it. Do you know what EMSA assay is? Do you know what is selective mutagenesis? Do you know what is a competitive ELISA? Do you know what cyclic selection and amplification of target is? Do you know what is a microarray?/

-Finally, you will ace MCAT biology

Another VERY UNCONVENTIONAL ADVICE (take it with a grain of salt please here). If you are consistently scoring in 14-15s in the sciences and feel that a science section on your REAL MCAT was really really really tough, VOID THE THING.

Why?

Regardless of the difficulty level of the test, a 14/15 scorer can realistically only get 1-2 questions wrong (max 3). In the case of a really really really tough section, on top of the really really tough questions, you are far more likely to make stupid errors. Chances are that you will score a 13 max.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I didn't do any of that unnecessary stuff for physical science and took trig based physics in college and landed at a 12 just by using princeton review. A 14 is not that far away from that if you get like 3-4 more questions right, i am guessing? .. Anyways, the point is, you don't need to do all that. All you need is practice, practice, and more practice :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
Hi to above post

You are definitely right. Scoring a 12 is definitely great (congrats by the way!!!!) . However, a 12 (even a 13) represents some major conceptual gaps in physicsbio knowledge here and there which can only be adequately addressed by more advanced calculus physics/advanced courses.

In my opinion, this is probably not worth the effort.

"-Here the key thing is to GO BEYOND ANY PREP BOOK THERE IS. Even with TBR (which is very complete to their credit) is lacking in details. I took a year long class in advanced mammalian physiology (human physiology), and TBR condenses all that physiology information in one book? If you want to score well, go beyond it by A LOT."

I've never taken physiology, didn't even read the TBR book. In fact, I used EK which is the least detail there is, and I still got 14 on BS.

"-Know some advaned molecular biology techniques BEYOND western blots, PCRs...etc...... everyone knows them. GO beyond it. Do you know what EMSA assay is? Do you know what is selective mutagenesis? Do you know what is a competitive ELISA? Do you know what cyclic selection and amplification of target is? Do you know what is a microarray?/"

LOL, I don't even know what Western blots are.

" It is impossible to score in the 14-15s without extensive knowledge in calculus, though the questions may NOT directly require knowledge of calculus. "
Really? Because I got 14 in PS, and I suck at calculus.

"Derive equations. Can you derive equations ALL from scratch. Yes, the MCAT does not require it, but it is again impossible to have a true understand of anything if you can't even derive it. "

I can barely derive anything and I still did acceptably well. In fact, I was scoring 13+ on PS before even studying.

I feel like it would require too much effort to do this to ensure someone gets 14s or 15s, when they can easily get 14s and 15s with 1/3 of the work. I also feel that your post doesn't stress that we're studying for the MCAT not for an undergrad exam. "Knowing everything" won't even guarantee you a 10. Being able to think on your feet will.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the 30+ thread will prove you wrong.

Many people in that thread have gotten 14/15's on the PS/BS despite having only taken the pre-reqs.

I got a 14 on the PS purely with TBR.

GeekChick921 (my fav example) got a 14/11/14 despite having taken nothing beyond the pre-reqs. All she used was completely free online resources for MCAT prep (Wikipremed, KhanAcademy) and the AAMC practice tests.

3 months of efficient hardcore studying can consistently get you in the 14/15 range on the PS/BS.

Hi to above post

You are definitely right. Scoring a 12 is definitely great (congrats by the way!!!!) . However, a 12 (even a 13) represents some major conceptual gaps in physicsbio knowledge here and there which can only be adequately addressed by more advanced calculus physics/advanced courses.

Not true. I did a math minor and have taken advanced courses in the sciences. I didn't do much practice since I only had 2 wks to study, but I usually scored around 12s in the sciences (range 11-13) (AAMC 3 and AAMC 11). Scoring 13+ for me was a function of not making careless mistakes. For example, I pulled a 12 BS and 11 PS in AAMC 11. When I reviewed the whole thing, I realized if I hadn't made stupid mistakes I would've gotten 13 PS and 14-15 BS. I never practiced enough to get those mistakes under control since I couldn't afford to pay for anymore tests but I'm happy with my scores on the real thing.

I think scoring 13-15 requires some luck, accuracy, very good test-taking skills, and speed. Speed helps in that you can go back and review to ensure you didn't make careless mistakes and had thought about things carefully, assuming solid content knowledge.

I scored 12s on the real thing in BS and PS and my advanced courses were useless. I could've walked into my BS section with very minimal content review and scored 12. It was a verbal test with logical reasoning in science.

Hey Guys :)

-Know some advaned molecular biology techniques BEYOND western blots, PCRs...etc...... everyone knows them. GO beyond it. Do you know what EMSA assay is? Do you know what is selective mutagenesis? Do you know what is a competitive ELISA? Do you know what cyclic selection and amplification of target is? Do you know what is a microarray?/

-Finally, you will ace MCAT biology

One more thing--I don't understand AAMC's point in including these things on the MCAT. 95% of medical doctors (even more) will not do research. Isn't this kind of crap more appropriate for PhD students?

Hi to the above post

Unfortunately I must disagree with you here.

First of all, I never scored lower than a 13 in PS or BS. The majority of my practice tests PS and BS are in the 14-15 range. Scoring a 14 is skill. Scoring a 15, however, is luck. I would make one stupid mistake at the most per section per test.

Second of all, Just like you said, to be able to scoring in the 14s you need to move fast, moving fast comings from intense training in questions (i.e advance classes) 10 times more difficult.

I typically finish the sciences with about 40-45 minutes to spare. In other words, I can finish the entire 52 questions within 30 minutes, or about 3-4 minutes/passage. My friends always ask how I can work so fast. The answer is very simple. The passages/questions are easy and most importantly, I HAVE SEEN MOST OF THE INFORMATION DISCUSSED IN THE PASSAGES BEFORE IN MY UNDERGRADUATE TRAINING.

Hi to the above post

Unfortunately I must disagree with you here.

First of all, I never scored lower than a 13 in PS or BS. The majority of my practice tests PS and BS are in the 14-15 range. Scoring a 14 is skill. Scoring a 15, however, is luck. I would make one stupid mistake at the most per section per test.

Second of all, Just like you said, to be able to scoring in the 14s you need to move fast, moving fast comings from intense training in questions (i.e advance classes) 10 times more difficult.

I typically finish the sciences with about 40-45 minutes to spare. In other words, I can finish the entire 52 questions within 30 minutes, or about 3-4 minutes/passage. My friends always ask how I can work so fast. The answer is very simple. The passages/questions are easy and most importantly, I HAVE SEEN MOST OF THE INFORMATION DISCUSSED IN THE PASSAGES BEFORE IN MY UNDERGRADUATE TRAINING.

That's fine and dandy, but it's not necessary to have seen all the material to score a 14+ or finish each passage within 5 mins. There are Econ and music majors who score 40+.

Review books for sure. I'm a molecular and cellular biology major. I've taken so many courses in biology and chemistry, but I still relied on the review books to study. Having taken all those classes makes studying easier, but is in no way required because the MCAT asks the basics. I don't need to name every step of cellular respiration, I don't have to know how to draw all the amino acids, etc. My study buddy almost scored as high as me on her MCAT: 13/11/14 and she's hasn't taken biology or physics yet.

I second the review books.

The OP's suggestions, however well-intentioned, is waaaay above the content necessary to "dominate" the MCAT sciences. And for the average pre-med student studying by his/herself, trying to heed this type of advice can frankly lead them down the wrong road. I speak from experience...I had all the necessary prepbooks, felt insecure about the materials being enough, and so started l looking into other textbooks, doing other problems. In the end, I don't think it helped me at all, just wasted precious time. Don't get me wrong, if you don't understand a concept in the MCAT topic list, review it, but there is just no need to seek out/master more study topics. If you really understand all the basic concepts in the prep books (examkrackers, berkeley review - which I actually think is too intensive at certain points) and do a ton of practice questions, you should be able to get consistently high science scores.

This is like saying you should sculpt your entire undergrad education in order to take one test.

No thanks.

lolwut? I don't understand half of what the OP said, and a third of the suggested classes aren't even offered at my school.

PS and BS are tests of basic science knowledge, reading comprehension, formal logic, and speed. Just completely and utterly dominate the 4 pre-reqs, spend a couple of months doing an entire test-prep book series, and take as many AAMC practice tests as you can to get familiar with the format. Learn, review, practice. That's it.

The difference in matriculation rates between a 36 and a 45 is negligible, so all this extra effort seems misdirected and of limited use.

I think the 30+ thread will prove you wrong.

Many people in that thread have gotten 14/15's on the PS/BS despite having only taken the pre-reqs.

I got a 14 on the PS purely with TBR.

GeekChick921 (my fav example) got a 14/11/14 despite having taken nothing beyond the pre-reqs. All she used was completely free online resources for MCAT prep (Wikipremed, KhanAcademy) and the AAMC practice tests.

3 months of efficient hardcore studying can consistently get you in the 14/15 range on the PS/BS.

Very true...Its all about how you approach the exam. I took all graduate Bio and Chem courses with doc students the last year and a half of my undergraduate studies ( through a special request from my advisor) yet the first time I took it I landed a 28R. LOL. I was floored...then I hooked up with EK and TBR books and owned it the second time with a 36S. Every topic mentioned on the MCAT I had already studied for withn various courses ( Cancer Bio, Immunology, RNA Biology, and even one called Amino Acid Biochemistry which was waaay beyond Biochemistry part one and two) and I already knew what they might ask, yet answering the questions still required some conceptual thinking and time management skills that I didnt pick up from those courses. So overall the original post makes great points indeed, but is not 100% valid due to the fact that there are some who study 2 months, have only the pre-req's, and score 40+.

:laugh: Something tells me they just wanted to show off a bit when they posted this. With a 38 I say go for it, just dont make crazy assumptions:thumbup: