Sep 5, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hi,
I am a senior in bioengineering in my last semester. I have a 3.3 cumulative/3.2 science. I had a very 2 semesters when I first started engineering but I have since picked it up and have an upward trend. I have always been interested in medicine but have recently had a few experiences that solidified it's where I want to be.

I would like to get in the 2017 class if at all possible. I have not taken the MCAT. I would like to know how realistic it is/what I can do to increase my chances of getting into an MD program.

I have started volunteering at a hospital and will also start shadowing physicians. I will also be published on a research paper this year. I have worked 4 months as a manufacturing engineering intern at a med device company and 3 months as a process engineer intern at a logistics company.

I got a few C's in prereqs. Should I retake those classes in the spring semester as well as a few extras to raise my gpa? I'm planning on busting my butt this semester as well to hopefully get a 4.0. Any and all advice is appreciated.

tea guzzling traveler

2+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Md chances are low unless you destroy the MCAT. Retakes only affect DO. Plan on killing this semester (like 4.0), and then potentially thinking about either the MCAT or grade repair (if you end up wanting to go the DO route).

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
Retaking C's for MD purposes is a complete waste of time.

Finish your undergrad, take the MCAT(aim for 514+), then let's see where you stand 9 months from now. Hard to really give any advice outside of that.

Reactions: md-2020

md-2020

The Immaculate Catch
2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Look up your school's avg accepted stats from the advising office too.

At some schools a 3.3 would not be a fatal, or even debilitating blow.

But get it as high as possible regardless.

OP
R
Sep 5, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
My ug's med school (Louisville) has a pretty good link with the engineering department. The problem is my parent's moved so when I apply I will be classified as OOS and they give preference to KY residents :/ I'm going to apply to a state school where the average gpa is a 3.6. I'm going to retake Org 1 and physics 1/2 and also take Org 2 and Org 2 lab. If all goes well I can pull myself up to a 3.4