How to improve on research-based questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basophilic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My accuracy has been a little inconsistent with these - to a small extent on things like assessing validity, reliability, and bias. But to a much larger extent on things that were not done - e.g. possible confounding variables, things that could be done to improve possibility of causality, and other factors not accounted for.

I'm not looking to be perfect on these but how can I be more consistent? I've been reading journal articles for social and biological sciences (KA passages as well for this), so should I keep reading more and try to pick out aforementioned aspects or is this more about comprehension?

Members don't see this ad.

I have not taken the class yet but these concepts are all taught an intro stats class.
Yeah that could help, but it's not a necessity. Also it'd be a bit different learning the technical aspects in a stats class vs. applying it qualitatively to MCAT-style passages and research articles.

If you don't have the proper training this helps me sometimes.. Put yourself in the place of the scientist and act as if you are the one carrying out the experiment. Own the passage as if it were your own and find holes or ways to make it better. If you were presenting this in front of a committee what would they say?

If you don't have the proper training this helps me sometimes.. Put yourself in the place of the scientist and act as if you are the one carrying out the experiment. Own the passage as if it were your own and find holes or ways to make it better. If you were presenting this in front of a committee what would they say?

You know what, a very similar thing occurred to me recently while doing KA passages. I realized I could read research articles a bit more critically if I visualize the author (kind of like the EK strat for verbal) as well as how careful, biased, passionate, stern, merciless, etc. he/she is. Like one experimenter was rigorous in choosing her subjects so an image of a professor I worked with who was stern and uncompromising came to mind. I did this with a few others as well. Definitely will try to work more with this in more articles and passages. Thanks!