How to improve VR score from a 9 to a 11?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jloyay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm doing my MCAT on August 16th so I got about 2 weeks left before my exam, I've done 9 FLs so far and here are my scores, in the order that I did them:

AAMC 3: 33
TPR 1: 26
TPR 2: 31
Kaplan 1: 32
Kapan 2: 32
Kaplan 3: 32
AAMC 4: 37 (I was celebrating after this one).
AAMC 5: 32 (not so much after this one).
AAMC 3 (redo): 34
AAMC 5 (redo): 36
AAMC 8 (just finished today): 33.

Basically, my scores average 10-12 for physical sciences, 9-10 for verbal, and anywhere from 11-13 for biology, so basically verbal has been pulling me down, especially with regards to the AAMC fls which I tend to score 9 on and pulls me back to a low-30s score.

How can I improve my verbal reasoning? I think my reading and comprehension are okay as long as I have enough time to reason through the material, but I'm a slow reader so giving me less than 5 minutes to read through an entire passage isn't going to help much. I've been doing sample passages in TPR and Kaplan books. Is the Examcrackers stuff for Verbal worth a look?

Members don't see this ad.

I would take more responsibility for your score than purely attributing it to the outside forces of getting a good or bad VR section, at least until the 12+ range. Honestly, I managed to pull my scores from a lot of 9s to 11/14/12/11 in about 10 days by going hard at EK and princeton review, averaging maybe 10-12 timed passages a day. I started doing VR in 3 passage sets so I could really focus on why I was doing poorly, and then starting doing 4, 5, and eventually 6 passages at a time.

What helps me most when answering VR is to first think if the answer simply aligns with the main idea of the passage. Second, when I am stuck between answers that both seem correct, I ask myself whether the choice is correct based off of what the passage said. Often times the answer would be true, but I couldn't directly infer that from the passage, so it would not be the best choice.