how to increase chances for rad as an IMG?

Discussion in 'Radiology' started by kalyanova, Jun 4, 2008.

1. kalyanova

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am an IMG US citizen and am dearly interested in radiology. I actually knew that I wanted to go into radiology even before I had started med school.
    I understand that having comfortable USMLE scores are an absolute prerequisite.
    I have also obtained a Research Assistanship in Radiology in Wisconsin. what would anyone already 'in the field' could advise me to do to increase my chances into getting in?
    I understand that the RA position will allow me to publish a few papers. I was planning to ' shadow ' some radiologists or even hang out there during the day and learn their jobs.. learn how to read films..
    anyway any help and guidance would be appreciated!

2. hans19

hans19 I'm back...
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Try to (1) do productive research. Wisconson is an excellent institution in many fields of radiology. The best thing you can do from this experience is (2) get strong letters from well known faculty there. This will be an immense help to your application.
    The final thing is to (3) apply to as many programs as you can afford and do as man interviews as you can afford.

3. kalyanova

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks for your reply Hans19!

1- productive research.. what do you mean by that? publication?..I will be given the opportunity to be 1st author in a publication and case reports..and should be involved in a few publications as well.
    My job wil also to be assisting residents... do you have any idea what that would be about?

2- as for the LOR, Is it possible to get a few LOR from different people in the same Radiology staff at Wisconsin?
    I have heard that I should not get more than ONE LOR from rad and the other 2 from some other departments. if that is so, what other 2 departments would recommend?

3- What about me shadowing the attendings, or somewhat setting up an 'observership' in radiology? I ll be there every day for a full year at least.

thanks in advance

4. saanjana

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi there,

Radiology resident as an IMG is quite doable. I don't know too much because I didn't pursue the field myself. From my understanding, it comes down to your board scores and how well you interview. Do take a look at the match lists for Ross this year - I think we had close to 20 people match in Radiology. Practically everyone I knew who was going for radiology matched...but I also know that most of these people were strong candidates - strong grades, excellent board scores, strong interview skills....

....just my 2 cents :) best of luck...wish i could help more...

5. rox

rox ossified
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Could anyone please comment on whether this is true or false?

#5 rox, Jun 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  6. hans19

hans19 I'm back...
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    1- Productive means published. I have no idea what "assisting residents" means. Aside from needing to be supervised by an attending radiologist, I'm not sure what assistance a resident needs, other than the occasional cup of coffee or a back massage.

2- At least one LOR ought to be from radiology. The others can be from whoever knows you well enough to write you an LOR. If that happens to be radiologists, that shouldn't be a problem, provided that they know you well.

3- As stated in other threads, observerships, or 'away' rotations will not necessarily increase your chances of matching at a particular institution. It may give you a formal introduction to radiology staff at a particular institution and help you decide if a particular institution is to your liking. Other than that, you can try to ask some intelligent questions here and there, but do not ask so many that you interrupt the work flow. If there is an interesting case, the resident or attending will likely point it out to you. With that said, a whole year of observership would be a waste of time for you and possibly for the people you are observing.