How to interpret different diagnostic exams?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rubikscube85

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to hear some opinions from people who have more knowledge of MCAT prep and test prep companies than I lol I've taken three diagnostic exams through Kaplan, NextStep, and Princeton Review

Kaplan - 495 (half length)
NextStep - 503 (full)
Princeton Review - 491 (full)

I zoned out during the PR physical science section and ended up running out of time so that really brought my score down. The other sections were pretty comparable to kaplan and nextstep.

I tried using the search function to see which test prep companies people had given more weight to as far as being indicative of the real exam and it seems that everyone has a different opinion lol after taking these three I was planning on only using Kaplan, NextStep, and AAMC materials from this point on. Does that sound like a good idea? I'm trying to get all of my study materials in place now so I can dive in when the summer starts.

Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

All test prep companies' FLs suck. They don't model the MCAT well. None of them (my experience is with Kaplan, NS, and TPR). Your best resource will be the AAMC FLs and Section Bank. Use those wisely and thoroughly. Use other FLs to get timing down and make sure you know the content.

Reactions: 1 user
My FL PR was 493 and my HL Kaplan was 484. Haven't done NS but these things tell you next to nothing. It's glorified, time-pressured content review in my opinion (which is good in it's own way).

I see haha I'll definitely have to make sure I use the AAMC materials at the right times then. Thanks for the advice you two!