How to interpret my upward trend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marathon247

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my complete transcript back (see below) and wanted to get some opinions on my upwards trend. I went to a T25 school and had a personal tragedy occur 2 months before my freshman year. This impacted my first year's academic performance but I also changed a lot as a student through my college career and hope my transcript reflects that. Is my upward trend (not counting my first semester) sufficient to count towards my application? I also took almost exclusively upper level science courses my last two years so the upward trend is not the result of an easier course load. In addition, my sGPA pretty much mirrors my cGPA and is ~0.02 higher than my cGPA. In addition, how does semester rigor play into admissions? My last 4 semesters I took rather large course loads with my senior year being very heavy. I also completed a senior thesis during this time. I did this because I was unsure if I could handle the workload of medical school and wanted to see what the limits of my academic abilities were, however I am unsure if that is something adcom cares about. Thanks for any advice!

1595005383235.png

Members don't see this ad.

Your Fall 2018 is a little concerning, but most gpa trends are U shaped anyways.

I would apply like a 3.75, you have enough of an upward trend. Be advised that course rigor is NOT that important factor (very minimal) when evaluating admissions.

Last edited:
I just got my complete transcript back (see below) and wanted to get some opinions on my upwards trend. I went to a T25 school and had a personal tragedy occur 2 months before my freshman year. This impacted my first year's academic performance but I also changed a lot as a student through my college career and hope my transcript reflects that. Is my upward trend (not counting my first semester) sufficient to count towards my application? I also took almost exclusively upper level science courses my last two years so the upward trend is not the result of an easier course load. In addition, my sGPA pretty much mirrors my cGPA and is ~0.02 higher than my cGPA. In addition, how does semester rigor play into admissions? My last 4 semesters I took rather large course loads with my senior year being very heavy. I also completed a senior thesis during this time. I did this because I was unsure if I could handle the workload of medical school and wanted to see what the limits of my academic abilities were, however I am unsure if that is something adcom cares about. Thanks for any advice!

View attachment 313098
You have a great rising trend and should proceed as if your GPAs are in the 3.8 ballpark.

You have a great rising trend and should proceed as if your GPAs are in the 3.8 ballpark.
Wow for real? I was thinking ~3.7 but ok! I appreciate your feedback, thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user