How to know what is covered on Step 1? eg. arrythmias

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

master800

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Medicine is such a vast topic and there is a sea of information. I was wondering how does one know if the topic is covered on usmle step 1. For instance, arrythmia, both bradyarry and tachyarr are not mentioned in first aid. However first aid cover anti-arry drugs??. I know first aid only covers high yeild stuff but how do I know if the cardiac arrythmia are not covered on step 1. In addition, how do I know what is high yield vs. not.

Thanks

friend

Members don't see this ad.

You don't know. If you did, the test would be a lot easier than it is. Just accept the fact that there's going to be stuff on the exam that you're clueless about (trying to learn all the different arrhythmias is the definition of low yield studying). The best thing you can do to prepare is to know First Aid cold, look at some of the more popular review books, and do a lot of questions. The rest should take care of itself.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by master800:
•Hi,

Medicine is such a vast topic and there is a sea of information. I was wondering how does one know if the topic is covered on usmle step 1. For instance, arrythmia, both bradyarry and tachyarr are not mentioned in first aid. However first aid cover anti-arry drugs??. I know first aid only covers high yeild stuff but how do I know if the cardiac arrythmia are not covered on step 1. In addition, how do I know what is high yield vs. not.

Thanks

friend•••••Hi there,
Medicine, per se, is not covered on USMLE Step I. What USMLE Step I asks you to do, is apply basic science to clinical situations. The subjects covered on USMLE Step I are: (in order of importance) 1. Pathology 2. Physiology 3. Pharmacology 4. Microbiology 5. Biochemistery 6.Neuro/Behavioral Science 7. Gross Anatomy/Neuroanatomy. Under these topics, ANS/CNS Pharmacology is important, Molecular Biology is important/ Biochemical Pathways are of lesser importance. All pathology is important. All Physiology is important. Have a look at the photos in Robbins Pathology 6th Edition. You can also visit the USMLE website and download a list of subjects covered from that website. I can also highly recommend the book Step Up for the Bedside. This is a great book to read everyday. I will also recommend First Aid for the Boards for USMLE Step I. If you thoroughly know and can apply this material, you should be fine on Step I. Good luck :)