How to know which programs are in my reach?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sm2005

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, since only recently I have shown interest in ophtha, I have no idea which are the most competitives programs and which ones are more in my reach. My step 1 is 231 and my grades in the first two years have been A's and B's, a think a little more B's than A's. I just want to know at which programs do I have a more realistic chance of matching, considering that I do not come from a top medical school. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the best thing for you to do is spend some time around the ophtho department at your school. There you will find a program director, some residents, and maybe even a department chair you can speak with.

Not only will you get information from people from your medical school (regardless of how competitive it is), you'll also get more exposure to the field and see if you really like it. You can probably also get info on regional programs in your area.

Also, since it sounds like your starting your third year, you can focus on doing your best - since the third year matters most anyway.