How to Learn more about Health Care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Haybrant

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Im currently applying and I know through my shadowing experiences I want nothing more than to be a doctor for various reasons unrelated to this post. I have a rudimentary understanding of the health care system but am curious what is the best way to learn alot more - from its origin to future outlook (hmo, ppo, single vs multipayer systems etc...). What should i read/ what sites should i visit so I can understand/learn more about this side of medicine. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

you can also just google it.

but remember, during interviews, be yourself at all times! remember your interviewer is human too and you are too just have a normal conversation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haybrant said:
Hi,
Im currently applying and I know through my shadowing experiences I want nothing more than to be a doctor for various reasons unrelated to this post. I have a rudimentary understanding of the health care system but am curious what is the best way to learn alot more - from its origin to future outlook (hmo, ppo, single vs multipayer systems etc...). What should i read/ what sites should i visit so I can understand/learn more about this side of medicine. Thanks!

i really liked "understanding healthcare policy" by bodenheimer to help me figure out the healthcare system both in the us and abroad.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=lpr_g_1/104-8857745-1507104?v=glance&s=books

Another thing you can do is injure yourself several times, get sent to the ER, and you get a real close-up on the medical profession. Don't neglect to inflict damage on your eyes, genito-urinary tract, and go all the way with a compound fracture - you'll want to experience all the different fields of medicine and their situations. Let me know how this works. If you die in the process, please don't haunt me. I don't have time for ghosts.

Angry Guy said:
Another thing you can do is injure yourself several times, get sent to the ER, and you get a real close-up on the medical profession. Don't neglect to inflict damage on your eyes, genito-urinary tract, and go all the way with a compound fracture - you'll want to experience all the different fields of medicine and their situations. Let me know how this works. If you die in the process, please don't haunt me. I don't have time for ghosts.
thanks for the laugh. haha. ive been in need of some.