SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

How to make FM distinct?

Discussion in 'Family Medicine' started by Static Line, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Static Line

Static Line America's Guard of Honor 5+ Year Member

Dec 5, 2004
    We had a visiting FM talk to us at my school yesterday. He is from a smaller area with less subspecialties around so his privileges at his hospital are greater. He said there are many ways to make FM distinct from all the midlevels who are encroaching on the FM field. He said there are procedures they as FM are doing, types of patients they are taking care of, types of additional training they are getting certified in, that midlevels will never be allowed to do. He said it (the benefits and $) just don't come to FM like other specialties but it will if you set yourself apart. I had to leave so I didn't get to hear it all.

So, to all of the experienced FM people currently in practice can you speculate as to what type of procedures and additional training he may have been talking about that will set us apart from the midlevels? Besides the fact that we have years more in school and residency for which apparently state governing agencies don't care. I am very intrigued and curious since FM is my first choice but with some reservation about the future but honestly, I don't know a great deal about the field and I would like to.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. McDoctor

McDoctor Over One Billion Cured 5+ Year Member

Feb 13, 2006
    McHospital
    Honestly, your depth and scope of knowledge as an MD/DO sets you far above a midlevel provider, plain and simple. The educated consumer knows the difference.

You can learn procedures. You can do fellowships. But the bottom line is this: There is no reason to feel threatened by a lesser trained healthcare provider in a system where patients, as consumers, have the ability to choose their primary care providers.

4. emedpa

emedpa GlobalDoc 10+ Year Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Taking an Away team....
    agree- the knowledge of an md/do is what sets them apart from a midlevel.
    aside from c-sections I can't think of a procedure done by fm, peds, or im docs that a midlevel can't be trained and credentialed to do alone.

5. McDoctor

McDoctor Over One Billion Cured 5+ Year Member

Feb 13, 2006
    McHospital
    I agree. I think midlevels are a great fit in the ER and in procedure heavy specialties. This is where is see most PA's or CRNP's employed, though they have their place in primary care as well. They can also be a cost effective solution to some of our overpriced healthcare woes. I just don't understand this fear of encroachment. (I also never hear about it outside of these forums).

6. Tn Family MD

Tn Family MD Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 3, 2006
    In my opinion, the best way to make FM distinct is pretty consistent with how it is outlined on this website:

www.psot.com

Dr. Rodney is a very interesting and very talented guy. I wholeheartedly agree with his vision of FM. I plan on doing the fellowship (Medicos) with him when I am finished with residency.

7. nutcancer

nutcancer 2+ Year Member

Dec 20, 2006
    i know one that does laser hair removal

according to him, 'we do that to pay for this (primary care)'