How to Make Friends in Med School (Seriously)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Throwaway!

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Incoming MS1 here. Going OOS, don't know anyone, didn't go to second look weekend, will be living alone. I hope to move and live with roommates right after I get the chance next year, if there is one at all. However, it feels like I've already shot myself in the foot socially before class even started. Really the only good thing I got going in terms of living situation is that a lot of med students live in the area I'll be at, but it certainly won't be like dorms.

I'm not socially inept, but I've never really made an effort to branch out from my close college friends, which I made through proximity, frequent contact and maybe even luck. Without roommates, it doesn't seem like the luxury of proximity will be there anymore for making friends.

People say med school classmates get very cliquish with time, and I don't want to be caught outside that window. So to any of you who lived alone first year, could you please share your experiences in finding friends or what you did that helped, or if it should be a real concern at all?

Members don't see this ad.

You haven't shot yourself in the foot when classes haven't even started. You'll appreciate living alone. That being said there is no excuse that you can't go out and have a good time with friends during the first 2 years.

Reactions: 1 users
Just be overbearingly, ridiculously enthusiastic about every single thing you come across. There's no such thing as too much enthusiasm in the preclinical years.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Really hope those opportunities come. It's a real concern for me. Our curriculum seems mostly lectures based, so it looks like group activities might be limited in class. Long group study seshs are great, but it's hard to imagine anything but superficial relationships from those alone. In the scope of things, with a much smaller class compared to ugrad, it just seems like it's easy to fall into a loneliness trap, which is my biggest fear. There seems to be a lot of threads on this so I won't drag this point out anymore, but man... without a sex life, living alone reaps almost none of the benefits, but all of the drawbacks.

Reactions: 1 user
Really hope those opportunities come. It's a real concern for me. Our curriculum seems mostly lectures based, so it looks like group activities might be limited in class. Long group study seshs are great, but it's hard to imagine anything but superficial relationships from those alone. In the scope of things, with a much smaller class compared to ugrad, it just seems like it's easy to fall into a loneliness trap, which is my biggest fear. There seems to be a lot of threads on this so I won't drag this point out anymore, but man... without a sex life, living alone reaps almost none of the benefits, but all of the drawbacks.

Privacy...check. Right hand (or left ;) )...check! You're all set. :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
How does living without roommates not allow you to have a sex life?

The grammar might be off but living alone would probably better if a sex life came with it as well. But it's really beside the point.

EDIT: but like seriously, I mean, how easy is it in your experience to make friends in the first couple of weeks class, assuming that you are not a recluse?

Last edited:
Easy... Bring Nutella and toast to offer to your classmates. :thumbup:

The grammar might be off but living alone would probably better if a sex life came with it as well. But it's really beside the point.

EDIT: but like seriously, I mean, how easy is it in your experience to make friends in the first couple of weeks class, assuming that you are not a recluse?
I was saying living alone is better so that when you need to study, you can study with no distractions. Then once you want to go out with people and do things, you can.

Just be friendly and make an effort to talk to people during orientation.

As long as you don't sit your apt all day and refuse to go out with your classmates you should have no problem making friends. There will be plenty of opportunities during first year (orientation parties, bar crawls, BBQs, sporting events, clubs, interest groups, intramural sports, and of course post-exam shenanigans).

People say med school classmates get very cliquish with time, and I don't want to be caught outside that window. So to any of you who lived alone first year, could you please share your experiences in finding friends or what you did that helped, or if it should be a real concern at all?

Yes, the cliques form super-quickly. Within the first 5 weeks I'd say. I lived alone for most of pre-clinical years and I definitely only became friends with people who were in my team-based curricula sessions. Are you lecture-based completely or do you have any small group stuff? Because basically my friend status ended up being the same close friends I made in the first 10 weeks of med school, with strong acquaintances that would form and fizzle with each small group. I could have easily strengthened those relationships but didn't have the time.

Maybe the biggest thing to getting completely strangers to open up to you is to be generous academically. Offer to help them and go out of your way to solve their study problems. Give them your notes and study resources (especially the GB's of computer files every med student has). I feel like everyone in med school has this underlying competitive distance at first which you have to break down one way or another. And either way, the best way to get anything from anyone is to give to them first.

Also, my school had plenty of open-ish parties. Just drop in at one of those and let alcohol do the rest of the work.

Thanks, thats really reassuring. Reckon I was having a mini meltdown on my future social life last night. Combination of MS1 jitters and spending a Saturday night alone.

Answer: Don't make friends. You are set up for the perfect pathway to be a kickass gunner lol. Be a lone ranger lol. (not totally serious here btw).

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, the cliques form super-quickly. Within the first 5 weeks I'd say. I lived alone for most of pre-clinical years and I definitely only became friends with people who were in my team-based curricula sessions. Are you lecture-based completely or do you have any small group stuff? Because basically my friend status ended up being the same close friends I made in the first 10 weeks of med school, with strong acquaintances that would form and fizzle with each small group. I could have easily strengthened those relationships but didn't have the time.

Maybe the biggest thing to getting completely strangers to open up to you is to be generous academically. Offer to help them and go out of your way to solve their study problems. Give them your notes and study resources (especially the GB's of computer files every med student has). I feel like everyone in med school has this underlying competitive distance at first which you have to break down one way or another. And either way, the best way to get anything from anyone is to give to them first.

Also, my school had plenty of open-ish parties. Just drop in at one of those and let alcohol do the rest of the work.

We are systems based, so I believe we will be meeting for anatomy and histology labs frequently and throughout the year once that starts. Outside of that I don't think we hold many other discussions. Hopefully it will be easy to bond with classmates during those classes because most everything else is self directed. Although, it's also worth mentioning that we don't start systems until maybe week 10.

I think you really hit the nail on the head at my main concern about just having strong acquaintances that fizzle with each small group though. Making acquaintances really shouldn't be a problem, but forming close friendships like you mentioned may be a whole different ballgame. I never really befriended any premeds in college, but certainly consider many of them good acquaintances. Maybe it was just because of a lack of effort, maybe it was a desire to get away from competition, but I really hope med school doesn't boil down like that. It would be incredibly lonely.

It's really good to hear from you that the opportunity is out there and that you were still able to make close friends and possibly even more though.

We are systems based, so I believe we will be meeting for anatomy and histology labs frequently and throughout the year once that starts. Outside of that I don't think we hold many other discussions. Hopefully it will be easy to bond with classmates during those classes because most everything else is self directed. Although, it's also worth mentioning that we don't start systems until maybe week 10.

Yeah man, you'll make all the friends you want to during these labs. If you don't like the people you're put with, do a study group with some other people.

I think you really hit the nail on the head at my main concern about just having strong acquaintances that fizzle with each small group though. Making acquaintances really shouldn't be a problem, but forming close friendships like you mentioned may be a whole different ballgame. I never really befriended any premeds in college, but certainly consider many of them good acquaintances. Maybe it was just because of a lack of effort, maybe it was a desire to get away from competition, but I really hope med school doesn't boil down like that. It would be incredibly lonely.

I was the same way in undergrad. Mostly because I couldn't stand most fellow pre-meds hahaha. To be honest, you may get lonely in med school regardless of what you do -- judging by how concerned you are now. This is just because you need several hundreds of hours every semester to repeatedly encode your hippocampus alone...studying with friends only goes so far. But I don't think you'll have any problems making friends in the first place.

Also, I really think your living situation is optimal. I'm definitely the type that gets easily distracted and hindered by company if I'm trying to get anything done. I did get lonely at times living alone (away from my significant other too) but it would usually be that couple weeks before an exam when it was really crunch time. Then I had the post-exam party to look forward to and everything.

Yeah man, you'll make all the friends you want to during these labs. If you don't like the people you're put with, do a study group with some other people.

I was the same way in undergrad. Mostly because I couldn't stand most fellow pre-meds hahaha. To be honest, you may get lonely in med school regardless of what you do -- judging by how concerned you are now. This is just because you need several hundreds of hours every semester to repeatedly encode your hippocampus alone...studying with friends only goes so far. But I don't think you'll have any problems making friends in the first place.

Also, I really think your living situation is optimal. I'm definitely the type that gets easily distracted and hindered by company if I'm trying to get anything done. I did get lonely at times living alone (away from my significant other too) but it would usually be that couple weeks before an exam when it was really crunch time. Then I had the post-exam party to look forward to and everything.

Yeah. I'm actually not doubting the opportunities now, just the living alone part. It might be ideal for studying once classes kick into full gear, but it just seems awkward in the context of social events.

It's like "sweet, I'm totally down to join y'all for this pub crawl this weekend! I'll uhh... first quietly pre-game myself here and join you there later?"

I know plenty of classmates who live alone, yet still have friends. Making friends in med school isn't hard. You might not be the most popular kid in class and be friends with everyone, but you will definitely have your own "group" of people. Follow these steps: 1. Go to class 2. Talk to people in between classes and during lunch 3. Invite people to go out drinking / play pick up bball / dinner / etc 4. repeat 5. profit?!!!! If you're content with having a few good friends rather than a bunch of superficial friends, then you should be alright. Don't be discouraged from avoiding certain people and NOT being friends with them. Med school can have quite a few asshats. I rather hang out with myself than be forced to interact with certain people in my class..

P.S. Did you ever think you could suggest to your group of friends to pre-game together before the pub crawl? Or invite people over to your place for a pre-game? lol

Actually that's a pretty awesome idea. Sorry, if it seemed like common sense to you. All this advice seems pretty straightforward, and it probably is. It's just that the thought of making new friends in a new place can feel like dating after a term relationship - you have to relearn a lot of social skills all over again. Definitely overthinking all of this.

Yes, the cliques form super-quickly. Within the first 5 weeks I'd say.

Cliques do form super quickly. But then a funny thing happens over the following months-years.

At the beginning of med school, everyone is in super-fun enthusiastic mode. Sending out class-wide emails for every social event imaginable, acting like the most sociable human beings in the world.

I think a lot of this is because med students, by virtue of being high achieving pre-meds, are on average a pretty nerdy crowd. They were, with some exceptions obviously, not the cool kids in high school or college. So they view med school as an opportunity to up their social status on a new playing field. So there is this frequent false veneer among new M1s desperately trying to appear cool and popular.

Once things settle into the normal flow of the year, and people start getting to know each other a bit better and letting their guards down, those "cliques" that formed in the first few weeks often reorganize or dissolve entirely as people revert to their natural set point. The BFFLs that form in the first month often don't hang out at all six months later. Some do, but not all.

Reactions: 9 users
Cliques do form super quickly. But then a funny thing happens over the following months-years.

At the beginning of med school, everyone is in super-fun enthusiastic mode. Sending out class-wide emails for every social event imaginable, acting like the most sociable human beings in the world.

I think a lot of this is because med students, by virtue of being high achieving pre-meds, are on average a pretty nerdy crowd. They were, with some exceptions obviously, not the cool kids in high school or college. So they view med school as an opportunity to up their social status on a new playing field. So there is this frequent false veneer among new M1s desperately trying to appear cool and popular.

Once things settle into the normal flow of the year, and people start getting to know each other a bit better and letting their guards down, those "cliques" that formed in the first few weeks often reorganize or dissolve entirely as people revert to their natural set point. The BFFLs that form in the first month often don't hang out at all six months later. Some do, but not all.

This was exactly the experience in my medical school. And likely all medical schools. Spot on.

Answer: Don't make friends. You are set up for the perfect pathway to be a kickass gunner lol. Be a lone ranger lol. (not totally serious here btw).

Be even more hardcore than a gunner. Be a sniper:
- live alone
- take out the competition from far away. one at a time.

Reactions: 9 users
Pretty much everyone in your class is going to be in the same boat as you....not knowing anyone and looking to make friends. There will prob be tons of events in the first few weeks so go to those. Host a pregame at your place, hold a potluck dinner where everyone brings over some dish. Doesn't need to be anything fancy - finger foods/appetizers and drinks are great. You will have to initiate things sometimes, but then people will prob be inviting you to their events too.

I think it will be pretty easy.

I have lived in several cities where I knew nobody. I would go to the park and just talk to people. Made a lot of friends that way. Since people will be forced to sit in close proximity to me, I think it will be easier than chasing someone down at the park. :smuggrin:

How does living without roommates not allow you to have a sex life?

I always thought that this would enhance sex life. It certainly did for me, anyway.

I think it is also a lot of sociopathic gamesmanship as well. There are going to be some who are friendly all the time to everyone, but you'll also have the "Got to put on a disguise to hide myself being a gunner" people intermixed. A lot of those cliques break up over random things as well as when grades start coming out and rumors start flying. I think in med school you really get to find out who your true friends are, which ones are more just tag-alongs or users.

You'll hit it off with people that are worth being friends with. I have an interesting perspective since I did a pathology fellowship and entered the class of 2014 during MS3.

My original class was not fun to be around, in general. I made a very close friend, and a few acquaintances, but other than that, I don't care what the rest of them end up doing. 2014 was a tremendous class. I would say that I didn't meet anyone that I didn't get along with. Everyone has friction at times, but a very fun class overall.

Again, I guess what I'm trying to say is that you'll make friends with people that are worth being friends with.

You'll hit it off with people that are worth being friends with. I have an interesting perspective since I did a pathology fellowship and entered the class of 2014 during MS3.

My original class was not fun to be around, in general. I made a very close friend, and a few acquaintances, but other than that, I don't care what the rest of them end up doing. 2014 was a tremendous class. I would say that I didn't meet anyone that I didn't get along with. Everyone has friction at times, but a very fun class overall.

Again, I guess what I'm trying to say is that you'll make friends with people that are worth being friends with.
Were they very competitive against each other? Good that you got to do MS-3 rotations with the nicer class.

Were they very competitive against each other? Good that you got to do MS-3 rotations with the nicer class.

I just didn't like the majority of the attitudes. I'm a very competitive person, so the competitiveness didn't bother me. However, a large number of them were the secret gunner type. "Oh I was so wasted this weekend. I don't even care about this exam." When in reality, they were studying all day on Saturday and Sunday and went out for a couple of hours to be seen at night. Just a shady group that formed major cliques. Don't get me wrong, there were quite a few nice ones, but I would say that half of them could take a long walk off of a short pier as far as I'm concerned.

Edited: Dyslexia and word transposition

I just didn't like the majority of the attitudes. I'm a very competitive person, so the competitiveness didn't bother me. However, a large number of them were the secret gunner type. "Oh I was so wasted this weekend. I don't even care about this exam." When in reality, they were studying all day on Saturday and Sunday and went out for a couple of hours to be seen at night. Just a shady group that formed major cliques. Don't get me wrong, there were quite a few nice ones, but I would say that half of them could take a long walk off of a short pier as far as I'm concerned.

Edited: Dyslexia and word transposition
Ah, yes:

Reactions: 3 users
Actually that's a pretty awesome idea. Sorry, if it seemed like common sense to you. All this advice seems pretty straightforward, and it probably is. It's just that the thought of making new friends in a new place can feel like dating after a term relationship - you have to relearn a lot of social skills all over again. Definitely overthinking all of this.

Being social is all about not overthinking things and going with your gut because chances are that you've already internalized a lot of social heuristics just by being on this planet for so many years.

Being social is all about not overthinking things and going with your gut because chances are that you've already internalized a lot of social heuristics just by being on this planet for so many years.

All the more reason I'm convinced Ark is from Jupiter.

Reactions: 4 users

Yeah you hear so many horror stories about meta class attitudes, it sometimes just leads you to believe that it's impossible to simply have a fun class. Really glad you shared and hope to have one like yours. I'll choose to remain open and optimistic about the people in my class, and, if need be later, turn a blind eye to gunnerism and asshats for the sake of sanity.

I just show them my genitals.

Incoming MS1 here. Going OOS, don't know anyone, didn't go to second look weekend, will be living alone. I hope to move and live with roommates right after I get the chance next year, if there is one at all. However, it feels like I've already shot myself in the foot socially before class even started. Really the only good thing I got going in terms of living situation is that a lot of med students live in the area I'll be at, but it certainly won't be like dorms.

I'm not socially inept, but I've never really made an effort to branch out from my close college friends, which I made through proximity, frequent contact and maybe even luck. Without roommates, it doesn't seem like the luxury of proximity will be there anymore for making friends.

I feel the same way, to top it all off im black and there are only maybe 4 other African Americans in the entire class. But I expect to make friends of varying levels from really good friends to casual acquaintances, with most people near the latter category.

be loud, and make sure everybody around you notices, it doesn't matter what you say. You can recite Creedence Clearwater Revival lyrics for what anyone could care.

I am telling you from personal experience, it will be an uphill battle. Make sure you make a couple of reliable friends and that you keep it social.
Just go and talk to people, you will see how easy it is to make and unmake friends. Literally.

Making friends in the first few weeks is extremely easy. Keeping it going on is much harder. I have more acquaintances than I ever did in my whole life. People do gather in very cliquish groups compared to college, and I found that if you want to be part of a group, you might have to antagonize other groups.

Last edited:
Yeah you hear so many horror stories about meta class attitudes, it sometimes just leads you to believe that it's impossible to simply have a fun class. Really glad you shared and hope to have one like yours. I'll choose to remain open and optimistic about the people in my class, and, if need be later, turn a blind eye to gunnerism and asshats for the sake of sanity.

I hear ya. I'm lucky to be in an awesome and fun class. Plenty of interesting personalities and I mean it in a good way. We're a party class that loves to go out to music festivals and all that fun stuff, have plenty of lifters and people into athletic endeavors. We smash our exams, are aware of all the good memes and internet lore, and, in general, are a very laid back group.

Can't really say the same about the year below us. Bunch of gunners that even the staff are rumored to dislike.

be loud, and make sure everybody around you notices, it doesn't matter what you say. You can recite Creedence Clearwater Revival lyrics for what anyone could care.

Love, love, LOVE CCR.

Having been through my first year of med school, for me the million dollar question is how to make friends OUTSIDE of med school. ^_^

I just show them my genitals.

Hahaha

Read the post -->looked at the username -->saw the banishment.

Such a shame. He was so young. Never really had a chance...

Reactions: 4 users
For whatever reason this thread is making me even more nervous about making friends in med school! :eek:

Having been through my first year of med school, for me the million dollar question is how to make friends OUTSIDE of med school. ^_^

Depending on the size of your city, you can meet people outside of school easier than some may suspect. It can be challenging, especially for an undergrad coming out of that environment into a different setting. That may not be the case for you specifically, but as a general statement, which can be applied to the fresh graduate who immediately started med school in the fall. With hobbies/interests, you can meet people through that. If you go to the gym or play sports, pick up games or workout sessions bring you to new people. Some classmates suggested meetup.com as another venue, which seems to be popular as well, which again, depends how big of a place you are at.

Also, I definitely would agree that it can seem intimidating to make new friends in the first week or so, but I would be open to it, and more importantly, don't give up. Cliques form quickly as mentioned above, but that doesn't mean the door closes that fast. Yes, there are people that came to med school knowing people from undergrad, and cling to those people. Despite that, they are still people who would be interested in meeting others. From what I've noticed, most people are friendly. They might not look friendly, but after a while, they'll be themselves, get comfortable. Lastly, as cliche and cheesy as this sounds, quality > quantity. If you have two people that you only talk to, but they are the best people ever, can always rely on, etc. that's great! Remember, you don't need 100 best friends. Personally, while I like to be friendly with everyone, I am more comfortable around a more smaller group of people. Which is fine.

Reactions: 3 users
id even argue that living alone is better for your sex life. that way the girl you bring home can walk around butt naked in the am and not worry about your roommate. in all seriousness, you will be fine. be friendly, dont be rude and you will make friends

I'm going to be under 21, almost certainly living on my own, definitely off-campus. :p

My strategy is just going to be to bake people cookies until they like me.

(I'm kidding.)

(Mostly.)

Hahaha

Read the post -->looked at the username -->saw the banishment.

Such a shame. He was so young. Never really had a chance...

He had such potential, though.

Are you going to a school with TBL/group work? Say what you want about the curriculum itself, but in terms of getting to know everyone really well (assuming groups switch up frequently enough), then it can be great socially IMO.

I hear ya. I'm lucky to be in an awesome and fun class. Plenty of interesting personalities and I mean it in a good way. We're a party class that loves to go out to music festivals and all that fun stuff, have plenty of lifters and people into athletic endeavors. We smash our exams, are aware of all the good memes and internet lore, and, in general, are a very laid back group.

Can't really say the same about the year below us. Bunch of gunners that even the staff are rumored to dislike.
Always funny how classes can be so different. That being said, the type of personalities a few people have can be very infective.

Are you going to a school with TBL/group work? Say what you want about the curriculum itself, but in terms of getting to know everyone really well (assuming groups switch up frequently enough), then it can be great socially IMO.

I don't think so. At least it doesn't seem like a regular feature of the curriculum, but I agree with you that TBL type group work seems to provide underrated social opportunities. I got to sit in on a group discussion during an interview at a school with TBL and the M2s there were literally holding a potluck and making themselves breakfast while discussing cases. It seemed like they were having a lot of fun and enjoying each other. In retrospect, it was probably something extra worth considering when deciding a good curriculum fit.