how to make good impression on admission director

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedrocks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
the admission director of the UMKC School of Dentistry is coming to my university really soon and will talk about the school to a small group of people (maybe 10-15 people). I will be there and will have an opportunity to talk to him and ask questions or whatever. I am kinda scared because I know this is a good opportunity to make a good impression because he has the power to accept or reject an applicant. What are some good questions to ask him? maybe something that is not really known about dental schools? i dont know. How can I make a good impression? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Ask him questions that you want answered. Maybe you can do some research on the school and begin formulating questions.

Smile, show a genuine interest throughout his talk, and most importantly, introduce yourself to him at the end of his presentation. If you have it, bring a copy of your CV and transcript and ask him if he can look over it with you and give you any tips/suggestions. At the end, get a business card, thank him, and keep in touch regularly.

I would make a small summary in word doc. about your situation. Don't put any english, just numbers: your current overall GPA, science GPA, DAT score (if you have), how much shadowing you've done so far, how much volunteering you've done so far, and start asking him questions like "based on these numbers, which area do you believe I need most work in"

Tell him that his school is one of you top choices and you just wanna be as competitive as possible.... ya know... learn the ways of puckering up and kissing butt....Hopefully he'll still remember you if he comes accross your application....

Members don't see this ad :)
I would make a small summary in word doc. about your situation. Don't put any english, just numbers: your current overall GPA, science GPA, DAT score (if you have), how much shadowing you've done so far, how much volunteering you've done so far, and start asking him questions like "based on these numbers, which area do you believe I need most work in" Tell him that his school is one of you top choices and you just wanna be as competitive as possible.... ya know... learn the ways of puckering up and kissing butt....Hopefully he'll still remember you if he comes accross your application....

No self respecting admission director will let him-/herself be placed on the spot no matter what stats you can come up with.

Last edited:
While you may feel this is a opportunity to 'stand out,' or look particularly intelligent, this meeting's impact on your admission to the dschool is not as significant as you may think (ex: he may remember me when the time comes)

That being said, treat every interaction with faculty as if it was an interview, meaning ask meaningful questions (not just to ask), and be yourself. Admission's faculty meet and see so many student's, it's obvious when a student hasn't taken the DAT, and is asking about a school's sim lab in an effort to stand out.

There's a difference between 'sucking up' and being a serious student. Depending on your situation (DAT, GPA) if you have those stat's it wouldn't hurt to make a brief bullet point 1-pg word doc and have it ready. After the presentation you could ask him if he's willing to look at it and comment, what UD bio classes he suggests based on what ur school offers to help you better prepare for their curriculum etc,.

i'd say that a very important part of this is keeping in touch and maybe even showing up to look around the school

No self respective admission director will let him-/herself be placed on the spot no matter what stats you can come up with.

You're not American, are you?

the admission director of the UMKC School of Dentistry is coming to my university really soon and will talk about the school to a small group of people (maybe 10-15 people). I will be there and will have an opportunity to talk to him and ask questions or whatever. I am kinda scared because I know this is a good opportunity to make a good impression because he has the power to accept or reject an applicant. What are some good questions to ask him? maybe something that is not really known about dental schools? i dont know. How can I make a good impression? Thanks

Be amiable.

Don't come off as a ******.

You're not American, are you?

Dat dwang spielchecher falled agin.

To those who will be taking the DAT and want free questions, realize that there's now Histology on your test and questions that require you to reason through experimental design. On top of that, a higher score is less likely to attain. Add that to the stress of preparing for this test the normal way. The cheating of others contributed to making your dreams less likely to attain.
I'm saying all this cuz the field's already suffering from ridicule from the medical field and parts of society at large.

...as a friend thou.

For those students that havn't gotten into a dental school yet or have no chance of getting in, which school do you think I should go to? This question only pertains either to those students who havn't gotten in or those who have no chances of getting in.

The problem is you, but you prefer to deter the problem by considering further schooling. In a few years you'll come to face the same situation you face today. Best case scenario you'll have to open a pros practice. But when the time comes, you'll want to go to law school.

Dental school's the best time to make these mistakes, because they'll sue the school and not you. If you havn't extracted the wrong tooth yet, now's the time to do it. :smuggrin: Of course, I'm just being stupid.

You sure? I prefer the Cruel and Inhumane approach at the other Cali schools.

Take whatever you want. If you're going to take harder classes and get lower scores, balance it out with cake classes. Only a few schools strongly want high GPA's with hard classes (Harvard Med), but the app pool for dental doesn't giv schools that leeway. Take what you want, and keep the GPA high.

These must be some examples of good Americanese.

Last edited:

When I applied to dental school, I used the normal font size. It worked for me.

These must be some examples of good Americanese.[/QUOTE]

:laugh::thumbup:

Don't wear anything low-cut (if you're a girl) and don't go into a long rambling explanation of how you got into dentistry if/when he asks why you chose it.

Experience is a good teacher :eek:

Every admin director that has stopped by campus and done this sort of thing has been extremely laid back and totally honest about anything you can ask. I wouldn't get crazy about things. Research the school so you don't ask some silly question. The tackiest thing I hear is people constantly asking if they have a chance. You know the ones. Bad grades. Sketchy transcripts. Pacific rep was just here last night. He was awesome.