how to make sure you get contacts in amalgam fillings??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stephie3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey does anyone have advice for this? i think i might not be getting contacts because i am not condensing the amalgam enough. i dont know. help meee

Members don't see this ad.

hey does anyone have advice for this? i think i might not be getting contacts because i am not condensing the amalgam enough. i dont know. help meee

after you get a matrix band around the tooth, make sure the wedge the heck outta it with a nice, fat wedge :) don't bother with those small/skinny wedges. increased condensation force helps, too.

after you get a matrix band around the tooth, make sure the wedge the heck outta it with a nice, fat wedge :) don't bother with those small/skinny wedges. increased condensation force helps, too.
Use a ball burnisher to burnish a contact into the matrix band. And wedge those teeth apart! It's easier to wedge teeth in the mouth than on a dentoform.

Members don't see this ad :)
Use a ball burnisher to burnish a contact into the matrix band. And wedge those teeth apart! It's easier to wedge teeth in the mouth than on a dentoform.

right. i was too lazy to type "ball burnisher"... :p but this definitely helps.

be careful if you are doing a MOD and doing the "wedge and burnish" (which does work really well) for getting that contact. for MO or a DO that works awesome...but when doing the MOD make sure you wedge both sides equally or you might get one really good contact and then the other one sucks or is nonexistant.

wedge, burnish the contact, and good condensing. Also loosen the matrix after you start condensing to get better contact.