How to make the most of ROL?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicine12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For an IMG, regarding the chances of getting a position in whatever specialty. Would I rather rank a transitional year higher or surgery prelim? I'm thinking I can maybe SOAP for advanced Neurology, Radiology, Anesthesiology, if I get a transitional or med-prelim, but not surg-prelim. Prelim surgery looks like a dead end to me. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

TYs are really competitive so don't count on matching into one just because they are one year spots.

TYs are really competitive so don't count on matching into one just because they are one year spots.
No I am ranking TY with advanced Neurology programs, but down the rank order list I am confused between TY and Prelim surgery (in case I don't get an advanced Neuro position). Would you go for TY and SOAP or prelim surgery?

No I am ranking TY with advanced Neurology programs, but down the rank order list I am confused between TY and Prelim surgery (in case I don't get an advanced Neuro position). Would you go for TY and SOAP or prelim surgery?

TYs are often the most competitive slots in the match, because everyone going into derm, rad onc, radiology, optho etc shoots for a cushy one. IMGs generally have a more realistic shot with the prelim spots. Prelim surgery spots are historically the mst plentiful spots left over in the scramble, so lots of IMGs end up in these, but you are right, they are often dead ends.