How to make the most of shadowing ophthalmology ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slopes23

Parlors & Poop Shoots
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Approaching the end of MS1, I think I may be interested in doing ophthalmology. Have been doing some shadowing lately in clinic and the OR and really been enjoying it. However, I am concerned going forward that if I continue to shadow it will be more of a nuisance to the attending than anything.

My question is, how do I walk the line of engaged and showing continued interest while not being a bother since I am not really doing anything other than watching?
Related secondary question is, is there a way that I can be of more use for example during clinic that I could talk to the attending about? We precept in the ED and what not, and do initial patient interviews independently but ophthalmology clinic is a little different (obviously).

Input from MS3, MS4's, and residents appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The truth is that shadowing is a nuisance. By letting you or any other medical students shadow, attendings are essentially paying it forward.

For Ophtho, medical students can help mostly by checking vision, although techs may already be doing this (depending on the institution). Ophtho also relies on quick flow, so don't ask to look through the lamp; wait for the attending to invite you to see an interesting finding. (You probably didn't need to be told that, though.)

Reactions: 1 users
You only need to shadow for you. Just wait and do a rotation when you can. If you are still not sure mid-year, shadow again for 1 day if needed to check it out again. Do research. That's all.