How to make yourself a competitive PCCM job applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FunnyDocMan1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what some features (other than good references) that groups (both hospital-based and non-hospital) are looking for when hiring? Does a sleep fellowship make you a lot more marketable? Lots of airway experience during fellowship? QI Experience? Being able to do perc trachs?

(This is obviously for more clinically focused careers, not research)

Members don't see this ad.

Have a pulse, don't need sponsorship, don't be a slacker and have a lack of personality disorders.

Seriously. Most job markets are wide open as there is a significant lack of PCCM docs.

Just wondering what some features (other than good references) that groups (both hospital-based and non-hospital) are looking for when hiring? Does a sleep fellowship make you a lot more marketable? Lots of airway experience during fellowship? QI Experience? Being able to do perc trachs?

(This is obviously for more clinically focused careers, not research)

I agree, a pulse, in general.

More and more of us don't have sleep and many established practices were set up to include sleep, so doing the extra year could be helpful, but I would say my partners who try to do all three think its hard to be *good* at all three and they tend to do CC, sleep, and *easy* pulm or the pulm+sleep cases.

Otherwise the rest or whatever you can pick up in fellowship is gravy, but may not be needed, the culture and practice environment will determine your practice. If you learned perc trachs for instance, but the surgeons do all the trachs were you are going you may find it difficult to do them for practical reasons unrelated to the procedure itself.

I think willing to work hard (when working) and easy to get along with are all big pluses.

Our two newest docs that we took out of fellowship are already both wanting to go to 0.8 FTE, which if you do the math means we basically will have an almost 0.4 FTE hole in our schedule which will need to be made up by the rest of us. That can kind be frustrating a bit because you take on new people and try to long term plan based on full time employment. Kids these days? (Get off my lawn!)

Also, no one wants a guy who *only* wants to do IP. If you can figure out how to have or make a bronch heavy practice in your community after being there that also doesn't interrupt anyone else's practice, it will be supported, but no group is going to just hand that kind of thing to anyone. We need people seeing new patient consults in the clinic and on the floor, and admitting sick patients to the ICU 24/7 and available critical care consultation to others (usually the surgical services) 24/7. In other words: marines. We need marines. We are all marines. Attempting to be a special procedure snowflake goes over about as well as a turd in a punchbowl. Don't try to be cute.

Be flexible - which doesn't mean take a job you really don't think you'll like - but there are many ways to skin a cat

Hell my group is looking for two docs, PCCM, and one Sleep doc. One position is for an intensivist, with Pulm training, but will be ICU only, no clinic. So there may be jobs like that and if you have some flexibility will make your potential choices greater.

Right now it's a buyers (applicant's) market though in general.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
^^ this. Completely agree, everyone's hiring

Had a pulm/crit/sleep guy tell me that sleep doesn't add anything financially, but it allows you to join a group where you do sleep clinic which ultimately allows a chiller schedule, less ICU, I dunno how true that is? I'd like to hear more on what doors sleep opens and if its worth doing? currently in p/cc fellowship and i'm considering it cuz I like it...but at this point in life, I rather only do it if its worth the 250k I'd be giving up to do another year of fellowship.

Had a pulm/crit/sleep guy tell me that sleep doesn't add anything financially, but it allows you to join a group where you do sleep clinic which ultimately allows a chiller schedule, less ICU, I dunno how true that is? I'd like to hear more on what doors sleep opens and if its worth doing? currently in p/cc fellowship and i'm considering it cuz I like it...but at this point in life, I rather only do it if its worth the 250k I'd be giving up to do another year of fellowship.

It seems like psg interpretation is a huge cash cow still but nobody thinks it is going to last much longer. If you could moonlight a bunch during the fellowship year to close the gap it might be worth it if you work on a comp based outpatient heavy schedule but generally I think that is right.

I agree, a pulse, in general.

More and more of us don't have sleep and many established practices were set up to include sleep, so doing the extra year could be helpful, but I would say my partners who try to do all three think its hard to be *good* at all three and they tend to do CC, sleep, and *easy* pulm or the pulm+sleep cases.

Otherwise the rest or whatever you can pick up in fellowship is gravy, but may not be needed, the culture and practice environment will determine your practice. If you learned perc trachs for instance, but the surgeons do all the trachs were you are going you may find it difficult to do them for practical reasons unrelated to the procedure itself.

I think willing to work hard (when working) and easy to get along with are all big pluses.

Our two newest docs that we took out of fellowship are already both wanting to go to 0.8 FTE, which if you do the math means we basically will have an almost 0.4 FTE hole in our schedule which will need to be made up by the rest of us. That can kind be frustrating a bit because you take on new people and try to long term plan based on full time employment. Kids these days? (Get off my lawn!)

Also, no one wants a guy who *only* wants to do IP. If you can figure out how to have or make a bronch heavy practice in your community after being there that also doesn't interrupt anyone else's practice, it will be supported, but no group is going to just hand that kind of thing to anyone. We need people seeing new patient consults in the clinic and on the floor, and admitting sick patients to the ICU 24/7 and available critical care consultation to others (usually the surgical services) 24/7. In other words: marines. We need marines. We are all marines. Attempting to be a special procedure snowflake goes over about as well as a turd in a punchbowl. Don't try to be cute.

Be flexible - which doesn't mean take a job you really don't think you'll like - but there are many ways to skin a cat

Hell my group is looking for two docs, PCCM, and one Sleep doc. One position is for an intensivist, with Pulm training, but will be ICU only, no clinic. So there may be jobs like that and if you have some flexibility will make your potential choices greater.

Right now it's a buyers (applicant's) market though in general.
Can I ask in what kind of ICU you guys practice? Or are there multiple ones?

Can I ask in what kind of ICU you guys practice? Or are there multiple ones?

It’s a 32 bed mixed ICU. For all practical purposes closed because we always get consulted. We do micu, cardiac icu, neuro icu, surgical icu. The heart surgeons run their own 10 bed unit. They might ask for some help 1-3 times per week.

It’s a 32 bed mixed ICU. For all practical purposes closed because we always get consulted. We do micu, cardiac icu, neuro icu, surgical icu. The heart surgeons run their own 10 bed unit. They might ask for some help 1-3 times per week.
How big is your MICU? I guess I am confused. It’s a mixed ICU with all kind of the patients you describe it? MICU patients, cardiac patients, Neuro patients and surgical patients? How big is your hospital?

How big is your MICU? I guess I am confused. It’s a mixed ICU with all kind of the patients you describe it? MICU patients, cardiac patients, Neuro patients and surgical patients? How big is your hospital?

Yes. Mixed as described.

It’s a 350 bed, level 2 trauma center. When they got their recertification three years ago they were told it was the busiest level two they had certified that year.

Yes. Mixed as described.

It’s a 350 bed, level 2 trauma center. When they got their recertification three years ago they were told it was the busiest level two they had certified that year.
So why does your intensivist need pulm training if they will strictly be working in the ICU?