How to manage time with girlfriend during dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I Brush My Teeth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend lives close by and goes to school near where I will be attending dental school, any advice on how to balance everything?
I want to have ample time to be able to make friends during my first couple weeks and be as social as possible while obviously studying my a$$ off

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think asking random people on here for advice on your relationship is going to be especially helpful, since every couple is different. Why don't you just sit down and have a talk with her about how you guys will plan to make time for each other with your busy schedules.

The most important thing is being on the same page

Reactions: 6 users
its definitely doable to maintain a relationship in dental school. Yes! you are gonna be busy and maybe won't spend as much time with your girlfriend but she needs to understand your situation and be supportive. If for whatever reason your relationship fails, then its a good thing! because it wasn't meant to be to begin with and even if it lasts through dental school, it might fail when some other hardship, worse than dental school, hits you in life. its better to break up than to marry the wrong girl and divorce. Divorce is an ugly beast that will suck half of your assets and money! marriage is business partnership in a sense. so be careful who you marry because if you make the wrong choice, you are gonna be screwed big time!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I take Friday nights, saturdays, and from 6-8 off everyday. That's strictly family time and no books.

I find I do better because I can actually disengaged and then be ready to study when the time comes.

Reactions: 1 users
It's a trap! Get out while you still can!

The reality is that yes, there is a balance, under the right circumstances, where it can work. There are also a bunch of circumstances where it won't work.

Which path you and your girlfriend will be on? Only time will tell

I wouldn't worry about it lol. You'll both find time for each other especially being close to each other.

My girlfriend lives close by and goes to school near where I will be attending dental school, any advice on how to balance everything?
I want to have ample time to be able to make friends during my first couple weeks and be as social as possible while obviously studying my a$$ off
just give it your college best, and love will find a way.

As long as you two understand that the relationship is no longer the #1 priority, you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Make a night designated for her.. For me, my gf and I have date nights every Friday

I have nothing to suggest to the OP as I lost my college sweetheart after the first year of DS.
I found I just didn't have time to devote to her.

I started a relationship with my bf like the day before ds orientation lol
We're long distance and it's still going strong!