How to match into a competitive program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

antoniohg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have one question. I want to match only into Internal Medicine. i have applied to 60 programs, all of them university programs (probably much more competitive that my overall application). I have passed Step 1 (226/94%) step 2 (256/99%), IMG with ECFMG certified, graduated on 2007. just started doing research this year and I have just one poster presentation (US meeting).
In order to get a spot into a competitive program, should I apply to a Preliminary program to increase my chance to get into a tough program? I have never thought this way before until now that I realized some programs asks for a year Hands-on experience ( besides research, observership, or any other kind of work experience in the US).
any idea?

Members don't see this ad.

I have more than 1 year of US clinical expirience, I have done rotations in big programs as UCSD, Vanderbilt, Univ of Miami and Mount Sinai New York. I was concerned because I know some programs actually expects for us (IMGs) to have 1 year Hands-on OFFICIAL experience (excluding observerships, shadowings, etc). Having said that I thought that what they were asking for was for IMG to have a preliminary IM path first.

I have more than 1 year of US clinical expirience, I have done rotations in big programs as UCSD, Vanderbilt, Univ of Miami and Mount Sinai New York. I was concerned because I know some programs actually expects for us (IMGs) to have 1 year Hands-on OFFICIAL experience (excluding observerships, shadowings, etc). Having said that I thought that what they were asking for was for IMG to have a preliminary IM path first.

By rotations do you mean observerships? There is an important difference between observerships, which do not count as clinical experience, and visiting student electives or clerkships, which do. However, IMG's can only do the latter while they're still in med school. So there are ways for IMG's to gain US clinical experience (prior to graduating) without having to complete a preliminary year first.

If those rotations you mentioned (by the way impressive list) were hands on and you got good LORs, then I would say your chances at university programs aren't bad, apply broadly and don't limit yourself to top-notch places like MassGen, Duke, UWash etc.!

Good luck!

Thanks GOMER, actually I haven't even waste my money applying to MassGen or John Hopkins, and some of those top programs. Both UCSD and U of M where while I was on med school and hands on. As physician I did both UCSD and U of M and research in the other two places. My concern is, if I apply also to a Preliminary path, would my next year’s application be stronger?