How to Match into Optho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jejudo

Yellow fever island
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm entering medical school this fall and I am very interested in optho, however I'm confused about how the matching process works. I'm sure this is a simple question for all of you, but I would really appreciate some help.

Looking at different program websites (and the SF Match), I found that you match as a PGY2 resident. My question is, how do you select your PGY1 position? Since the SF Match only secures your speciality training, how do you get to pick your internship? Do you also apply with the NRMP for some kind of special one-year program? And if so, is there a way to secure an optho spot straight out of medical school?

Also, because I'm more interested in retinal diseases/surgery, would it be beneficial to do a surgical intership instead of the IM one?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

PGY1 internship is done through the normal NRMP match for a preliminary medicine, preliminary surgery or transitional year. You submit your ranklist AFTER you find out where you matched for ophtho.
As far as surgical vs int med internship, you'll get various opinions, but mine is do the easiest internship available to you....you aren't going to be doing any ophtho surgery anyway and you'll work plenty hard during your ophtho residency.

PGY1 internship is done through the normal NRMP match for a preliminary medicine, preliminary surgery or transitional year. You submit your ranklist AFTER you find out where you matched for ophtho.
As far as surgical vs int med internship, you'll get various opinions, but mine is do the easiest internship available to you....you aren't going to be doing any ophtho surgery anyway and you'll work plenty hard during your ophtho residency.

Thanks for your reply! So then it does not really matter where you do your PGY1 since you already have an optho spot in hand?

What are your views on doing a 'transitional year' instead of a prelim- internship? The breadth of scope of this pathway seems to me to be more valuable for a future ophthalmologist (who will later specialize) than a purely IM or surgery internship.

Also, how competitive are the vitreoretinal diseases/surgery and orbital and ophthalmic plastic surgery fellowships? Do most ophthalmologists do some kind of fellowship? Is applying for these fellowships going to be another poodle-show, or are they fairly easy to get? Thanks again.

Thanks for your reply! So then it does not really matter where you do your PGY1 since you already have an optho spot in hand?

What are your views on doing a 'transitional year' instead of a prelim- internship? The breadth of scope of this pathway seems to me to be more valuable for a future ophthalmologist (who will later specialize) than a purely IM or surgery internship.

Also, how competitive are the vitreoretinal diseases/surgery and orbital and ophthalmic plastic surgery fellowships? Do most ophthalmologists do some kind of fellowship? Is applying for these fellowships going to be another poodle-show, or are they fairly easy to get? Thanks again.

1) No, it does not matter where you do your PGY-1 or whether you do prelim-med, prelim-surg, or transitional. I have heard arguments for each, and what it boils down to is your own preference. Do you want an easy, relaxed year full of electives where you can explore other interests? Do you want to be a 5th year medical student? (go with transitional). If you want to work hard and you enjoy general medicine? (go with prelim-med) If you are interested in Oculoplastics or can't stand medicine rounds going for 4 hours? (go with prelim-surg).

2) Retina fellowships - Extremely competitive, especially at the top programs. Getting into a coveted retina spot requires excellent performance at a good medical school, leading to acceptance at a top ophtho residency program. From there, it is often who you know (LORs) and who will go to bat for you. Networking, networking.

3) Oculoplastics - Even more competitive than retina. There are only a handful of ASOPRS-approved fellowships (I think 14 spots or so, but I may be wrong).

Bottom line, explore all fields and options in medical school. Then follow the advice from previous threads regarding getting into ophtho residency. Fellowship is 8 years away for you, focus learning as much as possible in medical school and how to maximize your chances of obtaining an ophtho residency.