How to maximize my chances for top tier IM residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JooceMan137

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate place to ask, so feel free to move/guide me to the right subforum.

Thankfully, I got a good score on my Step 1 and so I was feeling pretty optimistic in regards to my residency options. My goal is to match IM and eventually Heme-Onc. I just finished my first week of my M3 rotations, so it might be a bit early. However, I wanted to know what tips or advice you guys can give to me so I can maximize my chances at maximizing my chances at a top tier IM program.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

be aoa
honor everything
publish
LOR of known people
Do away if you have place in mind, but you have to kill it

Reactions: 1 users
be aoa
honor everything
publish
LOR of known people
Do away if you have place in mind, but you have to kill it

I appreciate the input.

I don't mean to gloat, but my preclinical grades are all honors so far. My Step 1 is 263. I don't have any research/publications, but for a year I did tutoring and was a course rep for M1s (I was M2) where I held a few review sessions, provided practice questions, nothing major but still significant. I'm not 100% sure what the requirements are for AOA.

Let's say worse case scenarios, I have a couple high-passes and passes during M3 year, would my chances me completely gone?

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate the input.

I don't mean to gloat, but my preclinical grades are all honors so far. My Step 1 is 263. I don't have any research/publications, but for a year I did tutoring and was a course rep for M1s (I was M2) where I held a few review sessions, provided practice questions, nothing major but still significant. I'm not 100% sure what the requirements are for AOA.

Let's say worse case scenarios, I have a couple high-passes and passes during M3 year, would my chances me completely gone?

no

Reactions: 1 user
I appreciate the input.

You totally mean to gloat

Reactions: 9 users
Haha, you're funny. For real though, i'm just trying to do things right and save myself from trying to cram stuff in or any other trouble later down the line.

Have you considered neurology. You’ll never get an interviews with that app.

Reactions: 2 users
Classic gunner thread. All honors, 260 board scores. You already know the answer to how to play the game. There is also a dedicated thread for ego stroking or real questions, look for the "what are my chances" thread.

You will get through all the filters of top tier programs if you are a US MD. The question is whether or not you are a tool or can get good letters. That said, with your stats you will likely match at a good program with average letters and little research.

Reactions: 1 users
Some schools consider research for AOA. You should’ve done a little in your first two years honestly

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. He’s so screwed.

Not for matching, but if his school cares about research for AOA (OP you should/should’ve check(ed)), there’s a good chance he won’t get picked. If he’s not at a top program, not AOA, and wants specifically top tier IM, then who knows what’ll happen with the match being how it is

Not for matching, but if his school cares about research for AOA (OP you should/should’ve check(ed)), there’s a good chance he won’t get picked. If he’s not at a top program, not AOA, and wants specifically top tier IM, then who knows what’ll happen with the match being how it is

He’ll have to soap

I recommend applying neurology

The usual stuff you probably already know. Get AOA if you can, do well on your clinical rotations especially IM. If not, get a SubI in before you send your apps out and well on that. Other than that, try and publish some papers as top25 programs typically care about research and solidify some great LORs throughout the year. Obviously do well on CK and pass CS.

How big of a role does being at a top 15 program play in matching into a top IM program?

AOA is important to match a top IM program if you aren't from a fancier med school. 5/6 people who matched to a Harvard/Penn/NYP/Duke/etc level program from my school last year had AOA. All had some kind of research- not necessarily a crazy amount, but some. And if their research was weak, they were active in other types of projects. They want to see some kind of personality outside of simply doing well on Step. The biggest benefits of going to a top IM program is launching your career in research or some other academic domain. I think these programs are looking for people who fit that goal and showed that they will take advantage of these opportunities to advance their career.

If that isn't something you're looking for, just do your best this year and don't drive yourself crazy aiming for top programs.

So you don't need to match at a top IM program to have a shot at a fellowship in Cards, GI, or Pulm/CC?

Of course not. Look at the fellowship match lists from mid tier academic programs. It probably gets harder if you go to a low tier academic or community IM program though.

This is a relief.

How big of a role does being at a top 15 program play in matching into a top IM program?

Most people who go into IM from a top 15 school match into top IM programs so if you happen to attend one of those schools, it helps a lot.

A bigger role compared to other specialties. I'd argue a 235 at top 15 is equivalent to a 250+ at low-mid tier. Fair or not, that's just the way it is...so if you are at a top 15 already, you are ahead of the game. Be at least average in all other metrics and youll match at a top program. Also, no, you don't have to be at a top IM residency to match competitive fellowships. If you are a US AMG and attend a mid-tier academic, those fellowships will be available to you, assuming you do well in residency, have some productive research and check the rest of the boxes.

A bigger role compared to other specialties. I'd argue a 235 at top 15 is equivalent to a 250+ at low-mid tier. Fair or not, that's just the way it is...so if you are at a top 15 already, you are ahead of the game. Be at least average in all other metrics and youll match at a top program. Also, no, you don't have to be at a top IM residency to match competitive fellowships. If you are a US AMG and attend a mid-tier academic, those fellowships will be available to you, assuming you do well in residency, have some productive research and check the rest of the boxes.

The difference is much bigger than that actually. Look at past interview/matches from people with low steps from top tier schools and you'll see that almost all of them get a bunch of top places. I personally know someone with <220 step from a top 5 who got into a big 4 program, no extensive research CV.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm...thanks for the input. My current MD school isn't high tier (not sure wether it's mid or low). I want to get a fellowship in heme-onc at a pretty reputable institution.

Classic gunner thread. All honors, 260 board scores. You already know the answer to how to play the game. There is also a dedicated thread for ego stroking or real questions, look for the "what are my chances" thread.

You will get through all the filters of top tier programs if you are a US MD. The question is whether or not you are a tool or can get good letters. That said, with your stats you will likely match at a good program with average letters and little research.

Well, i'm aware that I may get passed all the filters with my stats, but my question pertains to other qualifications that would increase my chances at matching at a top tier IM program. I was always told that research isn't important for mid-tier IM programs. However, after scoring well on my Step I figured that I now have a chance to seek out higher tier IM programs. I'm currently in a situation where I have no research experience and so i'm feeling a bit uneasy regarding matching into such programs.