Oct 14, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering how best to mention undergraduate class rank on my applications. I read that there isn't a specific line for "class rank" or academic honors on the primary application. However, I would assume there is some place to list stuff like Phi Beta Kappa or other academic honors on secondary applications? Would this be the best or an appropriate place to list class rank as well?

The reason I'd like to mention my class rank is because I graduated in slightly less than the top 1% (1.x%) of my class, and I came to my undergrad university as someone who started out at a community college and who doesn't have a lot of family members who have earned college degrees. So I kind of feel like it is significant (to me anyway) that I was able to perform that well in undergrad even though I was perhaps less prepared than most of my peers.

Anyway, I was thinking about just listing graduated x of xxx in the academic honors section of the secondary applications ... would that be the best way to mention it?

Another option I was thinking about was to ask one of my recommenders to mention it. I'd prefer the first option because it's simpler, but I could probably try either approach.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Narmerguy

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2007
If you feel compelled to include it, you could list it along with an honor. For example, if you were PBK, in the description simply include your class rank.

However, I think this is unnecessary. Schools can see your GPA, they can see your transcript, they will know you started at a community college, they can connect the dots. Having something like "top 1%" or "summa cum laude" etc is not that important since they have full access to all your transcripts and activities anyway...but if you feel it's really critical that they know, just throw it in with an activity description.

Reactions: Microglia and Edv14

mimelim

Vascular Surgery
7+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
It is a redundant piece of information. Your GPA/MCAT will attest to your academic prowess. If a letter writer or committee thinks that it is of significance at your university, they will include it. Fluffing your application will not help and can in cases hurt.

Jul 8, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Most secondary applications don't have a place for honors and awards. However, you can include them as an "activity" on your primary application. Since it's not an official award/honor, I would include it in the description of something else like PBK, as @Narmerguy suggested.

Reactions: Microglia
OP
E
Oct 14, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks, I understand. I just thought my grades would be more meaningful given the class rank information.

darkjedi

how did this get here I am not good with computer
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2009
I conveyed my class rank using my latin honors and honors society. The biggest reason being that my school was pretty heavily grade deflationary and even though ranked well, my GPA was mediocre for med school apps.

Reactions: Edv14