How to mention Osteopathic Medicine w/o sounding like a fanboy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_StevoFlurane_

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like the title says, I'm trying to integrate osteopathic medicine into my personal statement, how would you recommend doing so without sounding cliche or generic about it?

Also how much of you personal statement should encompass this your relation to osteopathic medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

AT Still was pretty good but Hippocrates was the greatest of all time.

Really though, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The "extra toolset" answer is the safest, but it really depends on how you want to practice/what specialty you want to go into.

Reactions: 2 users
AT Still was pretty good but Hippocrates was the greatest of all time.

Really though, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The "extra toolset" answer is the safest, but it really depends on how you want to practice/what specialty you want to go into.
Agree with above. I didn’t mention it at all in my PS because it’s still medicine IMO.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn’t have to be much. Definitely should be genuine though.

I used to work with needy populations so I approached it from a socioeconomic perspective. Wrote into my story that I was aware of the osteopathic philosophy of bringing the body into balance and how I could potentially use that to help relieve some of the preventable physical and financial strain experienced by my patients.

Didn't mention it at all in my PS. I just want to be a doctor, the letters don't matter to me.

Only brought it up if asked in the interview about why I wanted to pursue osteopathic medicine.

Reactions: 3 users
It would be good if you knew about the tenants of Osteopathic medicine, and incorporated it somehow. Also, you should shadow a D.O. as well.

Only talked about medicine in general in mine. DO questions seemed to pop up more at the interviews in my opinion

Like the title says, I'm trying to integrate osteopathic medicine into my personal statement, how would you recommend doing so without sounding cliche or generic about it?

Also how much of you personal statement should encompass this your relation to osteopathic medicine?
Save it for secondaries

Didn't mention it at all in my PS. I just want to be a doctor, the letters don't matter to me.

Only brought it up if asked in the interview about why I wanted to pursue osteopathic medicine.
This is exactly what I did and I got several DO acceptances and even more interview invites. Plus an MD acceptance.

Exactly. They know you're not seeking a D.O. degree because you love OMM. You're doing it as a safety in case you don't get into an MD. Don't be the guy who sounds like a cheese ball talking about how much more you're going to do for your patients by being a D.O.

I didn’t mention it because to me MD and DO are exactly the same. One just uses more hands on therapy on occasion.

There is a correct answer to this question.

“I want to be a doctor who also knows OMM.”

That’s the correct answer.