How to mention Ties to a state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DirtyNewYorker

Learn from the OGs
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to a school where I have immediate family living in that city. The secondaries didn't really have any questions where I could incorporate this information because it consisted of questions asking about leadership, challenges, etc. Is there any way I can let them know about the ties to the area via an update or something? I'm a high stat applicant (3.9+ 520+), but the school's median is around 3.7, 510, so I am afraid I may be yield protected. But honestly, it's one of my top choices of schools outside of New York. Any recommendations on things I can do or should I just let it sit and see what happens?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying to a school where I have immediate family living in that city. The secondaries didn't really have any questions where I could incorporate this information because it consisted of questions asking about leadership, challenges, etc. Is there any way I can let them know about the ties to the area via an update or something? I'm a high stat applicant (3.9+ 520+), but the school's median is around 3.7, 510, so I am afraid I may be yield protected. But honestly, it's one of my top choices of schools outside of New York. Any recommendations on things I can do or should I just let it sit and see what happens?
Is there an "anything else?" type of optional essay? That would be a good place to put this information. Otherwise, an email to the admissions office in a couple months mentioning these ties would not be inappropriate. You don't have anything to lose at that point, and the school would likely love to interview you if they believed that you were a good fit, and actually have a chance of your matriculating there if accepted.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Somehow I got an interview without mentioning ties. Weird because my stats are significantly above the 90th percentile for their school. Excited about the interview though where I will mention ties to the state

Reactions: 1 users