How to Move to Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adamlc18

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the different options people are using to move out to dental school. Are most people renting a truck from u-haul an ddriving out, or packing it in a truck and having a company drive it out such as ABF? I was also wondering what is the best/cheapest deal out there. I am moving to North Carolina from Utah and ABF quoted me $2000. I was wondering if I could do it any cheaper than that? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am moving from Colorado to Iowa at the end of May. We are using Penske truck rentals(very similar to U-haul, but much better to deal with. A 15' truck is costing us $450. With that you get unlimited mileage and 6 days to complete your move. This is the best option I've found if you're intersted in doing it all yourself. Good Luck!

I checked out Penske and they were more expensive then U-Haul? U-Haul wants 1400 for the mid size truck and a car tow. I could not find the other more extensive discuss that occur before this one, where I seen unbelievable deals for moving which I am very interested in. Can people who have move list there cost and company used and from where to where?

Members don't see this ad :)
As for the Uhaul vs. Penske debate: I have heard a couple of bad things about Uhaul. Penske seems like a bit more reputable company, plus they don't charge per mile.

Be very leary of moving companies. I am currently having major trouble with mine. Under no circumstances should you find a mover on-line. If I were to go through a move again (which I don't plan on), I would only hire a big name company (United, Allied, Mayflower...). If you want to check out a moving company I recommend looking here: www.movingscam.com. Then checking with The USDOT, your local commerce comission and the BBB.

Good luck, as if going to dental school weren't enough, the stress of a move could put you over the edge. :scared:

I am using Penske as well. They were the cheapest I could find. I am moving from Utah to Seattle. The 15' truck is costing me $525. It would've been even cheaper had I scheduled a week or two more in advance. If you reserve online you get a 10% discount. Also, if you have AAA you get another significant discount.

How much things are you guys planning to move with you??? I was only planning on taking my clothes, laptop, few dishes, and other essential things with me and buy few other things when i get there. Granted, i dont have tables and chairs to move. So, i was going to take them with me when i fly. Some airlines are more generous than others.. i think SW lets you to check in 3 items of up 50 Ibs each + 2 carry on bags .. that does it for me.

What ever you do, just make sure the things you are moving worth the gas $$ and the car rental.

If you are planning to book the Penske truck, go to this site www.movingorbit.com then click on Penske link. You will get another 10% discount on top of penske's 10% .... Approx. 20% discount total and more if you have AAA membership.

Penske sucks; 2100 with all possible discounts. If I am to rent a truck, I need the 15' because it can tow a car.

I think I will have ValueMoves haul my suff for 1500 bucks. They seem to be the cheapest door to door service. With someone hauling my stuff, I can take both my wives and my car by towing the other. I think I will make the trip to Detroit a vacation visiting some places on my way through.

Thaxil

Valuemoves is a broker. Don't ever use brokers because they will simply "sell" your move to someone else--usually you have no idea who

try Broadway Express (BE) at www.broadwayexpress.net or ABF U-pack Moving at www.upack.com, these companies are actual movers.

Good luck

Again, never use "broker" to move your stuffs !!!!!

Comet208 said:
How much things are you guys planning to move with you??? I was only planning on taking my clothes, laptop, few dishes, and other essential things with me and buy few other things when i get there. Granted, i dont have tables and chairs to move. So, i was going to take them with me when i fly. Some airlines are more generous than others.. i think SW lets you to check in 3 items of up 50 Ibs each + 2 carry on bags .. that does it for me.

What ever you do, just make sure the things you are moving worth the gas $$ and the car rental.

This is going to be my strategy pretty much. I think it works better for people moving to a big city like NY or Boston. I'm just going to take whatever can fit in two suitcases. Maybe, I'll use UPS for my LCD monitor for watching TV. Maybe later if I think I have time to use them I'll have little stuff like video game consoles shipped over. UPS ground is actually really cheap.

If I don't live in the dorm, I think making a trip to Norka Futon or wherever you can get a futon for a reasonable price is in order along with a trip to Staples for a $100 flat pack desk and maybe a $60 chair.

If I were going somewhere where I need a car, then I'd try to just take what will fit in the car.

I will be moving Via NYC subway. Most likely the D line :)

Thaxil said:
I think I will have ValueMoves haul my suff for 1500 bucks. They seem to be the cheapest door to door service.

BEWARE! ValueMoves with an s is not the same as the reputable company ValueMove operated by United Van Lines. ValueMoves is a very dubious company, as you can see if you go to this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=858

I worry when I see comments like this posted on this board: "ABF's quote was almost as much as the quotes I got from full-service moving companies on the Internet, so I'm going to go with a full-service mover." If any supposedly full-service company gives you a quote similar to ABF's, it is almost certainly a scammer that is lowballing you and will later raise the price in a hostage freight situation. Not only that, delivery delays of many weeks or even months are common, and your things will most likely be delivered damaged, often by a company different from the one you hired. The scammers are totally charming when they are trying to sign you up, but later they are rude or unreachable.

I myself moved with ABF and I'm a volunteer for a website called MovingScam at www.movingscam.com. In following the messageboard there for almost a year, I have yet to see one case in which a company found on the Internet (other than a major van line or a U-Pack, We-Drive mover like ABF) turned out to be reputable. I know that some people posting on this board are familiar with MovingScam. Please, warn others when you see trouble coming. One thing to look for: no reputable moving company requires a deposit except for auto transporters.

People should especially avoid websites like www.123movers.com and www.vanlines.com that specialize in funneling victims to scammers. I saw someone mention 123movers here and cringed. Even Monster Moving is suspect, and the Yahoo Yellow Pages are infested with scam companies.

Extremely intelligent people have been taken in by scammers--attorneys, college professors, and yes, even doctors and dentists. I spoke with a dentist today who was scammed after getting quotes from several major van lines and one scammer. The scammer's quote was 40% below the others so he hired that company. His things arrived in LA six weeks later delivered by a different company. All the legs were broken on his furniture and the movers demanded hundreds of extra dollars in cash or they said they would take his things away.

Bottom line: do not go with any company that contacts you as a result of contact information that you posted on the Internet. That's how the scammers get their victims.

If money is a concern, consider hiring a U-Pack, We-Drive mover like ABF at www.upack.com, which has 67 mostly positive reviews on Epinions, or Broadway Express at www.broadwayexpress.net, which also has many positive reviews on MovingScam. Of the two, Broadway Express is better for most people because the driver will help you load for a small hourly fee and all equipment such as a walkboard (ramp), dolly, moving pads, and material to construct decking is included in the quote. The prices for ABF and Broadway Express are usually quite similar. If you need to estimate how many linear feet you'll need in the truck, go to the ABF website and click on the Space Estimators link on the menu at the bottom, and then click on "Advanced" on that page. Broadway Express can move your car in the same van with the household goods if you want.

Wow, Thanks for all the info about moving frauds. I never heard of such scams. Both Diane Moore and HuyetKiem may have save my a$$. I will take your suggestion and check out broadway express. I would rather go with U-pack, but they do not have service to Michigan. I am glad you guys are here.

One question, how much time should I plain as a buffer to allow my stuff to arrive? Say the company stats it should be there by Aug 15, should I plan for it to atless arrive a week later?