Fay

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2007
Status
Non-Student
How are people moving to another city for med school?

I'm not sure if this topic has been talked about in other thread. So, as a poor college graduate, I have a lot of craps: cheap clothes, second hand furniture, second hand electronics, second hand everything, a lot of heavy outdated books (some I have never read), etc. I'm not sure if I should try to get rid of all these stuff (donate maybe? I don't think anyone will wanna buy them) or try to ship them. Shipping doesn't seem cheap. Yet, after I get to med school, I probably will be buying the same kind of craps because I'm still poor. Any suggestions?

taponthecloud

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2007
New England
Status
Medical Student
Depends how far away med school is from home. I'll be moving from the west to the east coast so I don't plan on bringing a lot of stuff from home with me (it's too much of a burden and I like to have my stuff at home to use when I fly back for the holidays). I plan on buying new clothes, bits of furniture, travel gear, etc but not much else.

However, if I were to attend a school close to home, I would bring most of my personal belongings with me since it'd be easier to transport back and forth from home to school in my car.

OP
F

Fay

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2007
Status
Non-Student
Depends how far away med school is from home. I'll be moving from the west to the east coast so I don't plan on bringing a lot of stuff from home with me (it's too much of a burden and I like to have my stuff at home to use when I fly back for the holidays). I plan on buying new clothes, bits of furniture, travel gear, etc but not much else.

However, if I were to attend a school close to home, I would bring most of my personal belongings with me since it'd be easier to transport back and forth from home to school in my car.
I'm moving from west coast to east coast (If I get into one of the two schools I'm waitlisted at, it'll be west coast to midwest). I don't have a home in the US. I live in a studio by myself. My parents live in Asia. Actually, I'm leaving the US at the end of May to go home. I'm thinking about leaving my packages with a friend and ask her to mail them for me after I'm 100% sure where I'm going (if I get rid of most of my stuff), or rent a door-to-door storage (if I keep most of my stuff). Door-to-door storage seem expensive, but leaving packages with friends seem a lot of hassles.

moe_4eva

doprepd on my haed
10+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2006
foco
www.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
When I moved from Utah to Colorado, I rented a moving van, and loaded it up to the hilt. I think total including gas was around $450-500 for a 600 mile move.

When I move back to Utah this summer, I plan on leaving everything with the exception of what I can fit in my car and my fiancee's car. Everything else will continue to reside at our home in Colorado.

SCRdoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2007
Illinois
Status
Resident [Any Field]
U-Haul.

Smctbone

10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2007
Florida
Status
Medical Student
I'm moving from FL to CA, and, to top it off, my mom will be moving in with her fiance, so my east coast home will be gone soon.
I too have a lot of cheap furniture, heavy books, etc. I'm donating most of it to Goodwill, and bringing clothes, mementos, CDs/DVDs and whatever else I can fit into my car. Shipping and storage are both just way too expensive for me.

kypdurron5

10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
A big Uhaul can probably handle all of your stuff...but it's not cheap depending on how far you're moving. Keep in mind the advertised prices are for same-city relocating, and don't include gas and mileage. Personally, I will probably have to make a trip to my school to apartment shop, and if I do that I'm thinking of taking as much as I can and putting it in paid storage. That way when I make my big move I can save money by using a smaller Uhaul or just a Uhaul trailer.