How to narrow down AEGD/GPR programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plusalpha

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a search engine through which I can choose certain "filters" to narrow down AEGD/GPR programs? For example, I have a strong DAT score, so I'd like to find specific programs that require DAT scores to be submitted. Or another filter may be the minimum number of recommendations needed (I hear 3 is the minimum, and I know that I won't be able to get more than 3 strong letters, so I want to filter out those programs that need 4, 5 letters). Right now, I'm just going through each program one by one using the ADEA PASS and ADA search engines, but I'm not sure if that is the most efficient way of selecting programs to apply to :( I hope someone understands what I'm trying to ask...Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Here is an idea...

Do it by geography. In the grand scheme of things a GPR/AGED is a very small time investment in your career. Why not look at it as a vacation. So pick your GPR/AGED like you pick a vacation location. Some place interesting, different from were you are now with different social and cultural options than what you are doing now.

--SO-- IF you are on a coast apply to "fly-over country". If you are in Yankee country check out the South-land. If you are presently in an urban area look for a rural area. If you grew up in blue state apply to a red state. If you grew up looking at mountains go to the flat Midwest. You get the idea.

My suggestion is to basically expand your life experience while finishing out your professional training. You might even find a new place you like a lot and wish put down roots.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't really heard of GPRs requiring a DAT score? maybe.

I would suggest reaching out to former grads of your school/current residents and asking exactly which procedure mix they are doing at their program. Not all GPRs are created equally. Some are a crappy D5 year. Some give you strong endo experience, medically complex, sedations, or OMS, or prosth, or peds etc etc. think about what you are trying to learn and narrow it down from there.