How to not care about money for specialty selection?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ophtho
Derm
What other specialties?

Are these two super hard to get into?
I've heard the best "lifestyle" specialties called EROAD. Emed, Radiology, Ophtho, Anesth., Derm. Emed likely because of the shift schedule, but that might not be for everyone.

Derm and Ophtho are pretty consistently competitive from what I've heard/read. Unsure about the other ones.

Another one that I've heard has decent lifestyle is Urology, but since its a surgical specialty you likely don't reap the lifestyle benefits until later in your career.

Not a doctor, this is just what I've seen/read from others.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe derm has fewer slots. Yes, I believe both are hard to get but let's see what attendings say. May be going to T10 helps?
Will need to see stats from matches on feeders to these to know that. Shall await expert posts

Ophtho
Derm
What other specialties?

You tell me: Main Residency Match Data and Reports - The Match, National Resident Matching Program

But yes, they are, along with many of the surgical subspecialties.

Edit: One thing to note. Derm residency slots have been increasing over the last decade or so. The match rate is actually better now than several other specialties. Hopefully they don't over expand and turn into the next rad onc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard the best "lifestyle" specialties called EROAD. Emed, Radiology, Ophtho, Anesth., Derm. Emed likely because of the shift schedule, but that might not be for everyone.

Derm and Ophtho are pretty consistently competitive from what I've heard/read. Unsure about the other ones.

Another one that I've heard has decent lifestyle is Urology, but since its a surgical specialty you likely don't reap the lifestyle benefits until later in your career.

Not a doctor, this is just what I've seen/read from others.

I've heard not so good things about EM right now. Anes and Radiology can still be great gigs. Can never go wrong with Ophtho or Derm (provided interest is there and you aren't just chasing money/good hours)

I've heard not so good things about EM right now. Anes and Radiology can still be great gigs. Can never go wrong with Ophtho or Derm (provided interest is there and you aren't just chasing money/good hours)
What sort of things have you heard about EMed right now?

Ophtho
Derm
What other specialties?

Yes, I believe optho is 75% match rate (please correct me if I’m wrong!) Both need LOTS of research items in addition to good LoR and performances. It’s not impossible if you start early as MS1 to prepare research and other items tho. It’s that lost students don’t know what they want to do until MS3.

Last edited:
Yes, I know optho is 75% match rate. Both need LOTS of research items in addition to good LoR and performances.
Sorry for the ignorance, but is 75% match rate considered "hard"?

What sort of things have you heard about EMed right now?

My EMed friends have been a lot more stressed about the job market and potential drops in income recently.

Define lots of money. It has different definitions for everyone

Both Ophtho and Derm can consistently exceed $500k/y while working less than 50 hours a week, provided you aren't in a super saturated city like NYC or the big cities of Cali.

They also both have high pay fellowships (Retina and Mohs) that can earn much higher.

Business prowess with either of those two specialties can bring in additional income.

Only 18% of PDs responded to the survey!!!

Ehh the survey isn't the interesting information for me on that page.
https://mk0nrmp3oyqui6wqfm.kinstacd...utcomes-in-the-Match-2020_MD-Senior_final.pdf

Here you can see the cold, hard facts. It's a lot easier to visualize what specialties are more competitive. It's worth mentioning that some of these specialties still have low match rates even though there is heavy self-selection involved in the process anyway.

Plus 18% participation in a survey isn't that bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, and ignorance is bliss. Research is necessary, but always quality > quantity.
100 apply 75 get it. That's what 75% match means right?

What is the rate for other easy to get specialties? 90-95%? Just trying to understand

What is the rate for other easy to get specialties? 90-95%? Just trying to understand
There is a lot of self selection. If you don't have stats close to the mean, you don't apply for fear of ending up with $300k debt and no residency. 75% means 1 in 4 fairly qualified applicants doesn't get a seat.

Reactions: 3 users
My EMed friends have been a lot more stressed about the job market and potential drops in income recently.

Both Ophtho and Derm can consistently exceed $500k/y while working less than 50 hours a week, provided you aren't in a super saturated city like NYC or the big cities of Cali.

They also both have high pay fellowships (Retina and Mohs) that can earn much higher.

Business prowess with either of those two specialties can bring in additional income.

That’s not my point at this junction. Those are no doubt the best 2 for all 3. But depending on someone’s definition of a lot of money there are other specialties that fall in the all 3 category

Also opthos reimbursement has gone down over the last decade or so. It’s a great gig but tend to make south of 500 and keep a good lifestyle

That’s not my point at this junction. Those are no doubt the best 2 for all 3. But depending on someone’s definition of a lot of money there are other specialties that fall in the all 3 category
Ah, fair point.

Psychiatry, Pathology, several subspecialties of IM, and Neurology can fall under all 3, depending on what someone defines as a lot of income. @r2med

Reactions: 1 users
Ah, fair point.

Psychiatry, Pathology, several subspecialties of IM, and Neurology can fall under all 3, depending on what someone defines as a lot of income. @r2med

Yes psych and non-stroke call/non-interventional neuro were my thoughts

Also opthos reimbursement has gone down over the last decade or so. It’s a great gig but tend to make south of 500 and keep a good lifestyle

I'm an Ophthalmologist. Our income has not gone down. Our cataract reimbursement has dropped, but so has the time it takes to complete a cataract surgery. Additionally, other reimbursements have gone up.

The only reason an Ophthalmologist should be making less than $500k is if they're a Neuro-Ophthalmologist, not in private practice, not yet a partner, or live in a very saturated area. Of course, they could also be avoiding cataracts.

EDIT: if you meant a little farther back, then yes, our income has dropped. But only because it was insanely high at that point. Average time it took to complete a cataract surgery dropped substantially, but incomes hadn't yet, so making 7 figures was not that difficult at all.

I'm an Ophthalmologist. Our income has not gone down. Our cataract reimbursement has dropped, but so has the time it takes to complete a cataract surgery. Additionally, other reimbursements have gone up.

The only reason an Ophthalmologist should be making less than $500k is if they're a Neuro-Ophthalmologist, not in private practice, not yet a partner, or live in a very saturated area.

EDIT: if you meant two decades ago, then yes, our income has dropped. But only because it was insanely high at that point. Average time it took to complete a cataract surgery dropped substantially, but incomes hadn't yet, so making 7 figures was not that difficult at all.

You would know better than me! Lol. Ya the only optho I know is an old timer who has complained to me about it before a couple times.

• Haha
You would know better than me! Lol. Ya the only optho I know is an old timer who has complained to me about it before a couple times.

:rofl: to be fair, it seems like all the old-timers constantly complain about that.

This is a pretty interesting report on salaries. A lot less specific than some of the other reports, as it isn't limited to just private practice, so it lowballs a lot of specialties.

But for those curious, it puts Ophthalmology at $425k/year average. When you factor in young Ophthalmologists that aren't yet partners, employed Ophthos, and academics, the average would certainly be above $500k/year.

The gap between non-partner vs partner and academics vs pp is quite large in Ophtho.

Then again, surveys like this (and MGMA) tend to have low response rates, with Ophtho being notorious for just ignoring them. Hah, we definitely don't want a repeat of the 2000s cuts.

• Haha
How about starting pay for these specialties? In a corporate or hospital-owned practice and not a private small practice.

Ophtho and Derm also have opportunities for business that are not possible in other fields. There are still viable ways to own/partly own clinics with additional revenue streams beyond healthcare billing. This makes the ceiling for these specialties high if you're willing to put in the work.

One of my mentors is a dermatologist. He is Moh's fellowshipped, but the volume in our city is small so he operates 2-3 days a week. However, he has also built a large, new office building. The clinic and spa is on the main floor, and the other 3 floors are rented out. Besides a successful derm practice with 5-6 other derms and a couple of midlevels, he owns a spa with over 40 employees doing esthetics, massage, skincare, etc. On top of that, they sell skincare and beauty products. He has basically turned that building into the go-to spot in the area for everyone's skin and beauty needs. Obviously, his income is pretty good, but that is because a significant amount of work was put into this.

This is a pretty extreme example, but you can't do this with every specialty. You can also find ophthos who do similar things within the eye world.

How about starting pay for these specialties? In a corporate or hospital-owned practice and not a private small practice.
More than 2/3rds of Ophtho docs are in private practice, so hospital-owned is a small fraction.

Corporate-owned, depends. Probably $350-$400k. Private equity is a problem in both Derm and Ophtho.

For Retina, all the numbers are much higher.

Ophtho and Derm also have opportunities for business that are not possible in other fields. There are still viable ways to own/partly own clinics with additional revenue streams beyond healthcare billing. This makes the ceiling for these specialties high if you're willing to put in the work.

One of my mentors is a dermatologist. He is Moh's fellowshipped, but the volume in our city is small so he operates 2-3 days a week. However, he has also built a large, new office building. The clinic and spa is on the main floor, and the other 3 floors are rented out. Besides a successful derm practice with 5-6 other derms and a couple of midlevels, he owns a spa with over 40 employees doing esthetics, massage, skincare, etc. On top of that, they sell skincare and beauty products. He has basically turned that building into the go-to spot in the area for everyone's skin and beauty needs. Obviously, his income is pretty good, but that is because a significant amount of work was put into this.

This is a pretty extreme example, but you can't do this with every specialty. You can also find ophthos who do similar things within the eye world.

In Ophtho, this kind of thing (scaled down) is not uncommon at all. A few partners who "retired" haven't even tapped into their massive retirement fund, as the constant stream of income coupled with them still working 1-2 days a week (out of love for the field) has been more than enough to fund their endeavors.

Do new grads normally go to private practice on their own straight out of residency or fellowship?

Do new grads normally go to private practice on their own straight out of residency or fellowship?

But then of those 75, US MD seniors don’t make up all of them. It’s like MD admissions: not all matriculants are fresh college grads. In fact, you might be disadvantaged because those who take gap years like research fellowship will be stronger applicants than most US MD seniors.

Someone once told me. In a career you can;

1. make a lot of money,
2. make a big difference,
3. have a good work life balance.

but you only get to pick 2.
From what I've seen, Pain medicine could be considered getting having all 3.

There is a very strong correlation between hourly pay and the average Step 1 score for each speciality. Just keep that in mind because picking a high paying speciality is not entirely a choice you can make yourself.

Also, the classic “low paying” and “easy to match” speciality of family medicine makes a median of $300k/yr if you do hospitalist work. More like $350k/yr if you live in the south or Midwest. You can pay off all your debt and retire in 10-15 years if you are okay with an upper middle class lifestyle.

For someone who grew up with a single mom who at times made $30-40k/yr, $350k/yr seems like Monopoly money, even if I know other specialities are making $600k for the same amount of hours. At a certain point you have to be happy with what you have and realize someone will always have more money, be smarter, own a bigger house, etc etc.

Reactions: 3 users
I like to remember that even the lowest paid doctors make a lot more than the average American.
The average american doesn’t slave away 7+ years of their youth to be 300k in debt.

Medicine is a job. You should be compensated accordingly. If you would like to work for cheap, pm me, we'll hire you for 1%ile income..remember, you'll still be compensated more than the average American.

The average american doesn’t slave away 7+ years of their youth to be 300k in debt.
Worst case you can't match into anything else but FM and pay off your 300k of debt in 2 years. Interest is 2.5-3.5% during residency if you were smart enough to take out federal loans and use REPAYE. So worst case, you are making $300-400k 2 years after finishing residency with no debt.

After you pay off your loans, you could literally work 0.6 FTE in FM, with a stay-at-home spouse and have a 90th percentile household income in the US. This narrative that doctors just barely are fairly paid because of time in training plus debt burden is so out of touch with reality.

Oh, and the US is one of the richest countries in the world so 90th percentile here is like >99th percentile globally.

Worst case you can't match into anything else but FM and pay off your 300k of debt in 2 years. Interest is 2.5-3.5% during residency if you were smart enough to take out federal loans and use REPAYE. So worst case, you are making $300-400k 2 years after finishing residency with no debt.

After you pay off your loans, you could literally work 0.6 FTE in FM, with a stay-at-home spouse and have a 90th percentile household income in the US. This narrative that doctors just barely are fairly paid because of time in training plus debt burden is so out of touch with reality.

Oh, and the US is one of the richest countries in the world so 90th percentile here is like >99th percentile globally.

Don't forget you can also refinance your loans after residency (and during residency) to lower those interest rates too. In the long run it won't be much if you pay off the loans quickly, but an extra $5000 almost fills a backdoor Roth IRA

I'm not saying you shouldn't be fairly compensated, or that money isn't important. I wouldn't work for free or less than fair wage. Pay off your loans, and then you can live pretty comfortably if you're not an idiot and waste your money. For me personally, money is a factor but not the only factor. If your goal in life is to make money, go make money.

Pretty much all specialties allow you to live a good life. What’s more important than salary is lifestyle. You could make $1,000,000 a year but if you never have time off, what’s the point?

Reactions: 2 users
Attending anesthesiologist:

You pay back loans with post tax money. If you owe 300k, you’ll have to earn roughly 500k pre-tax to pay it off in a lump sum (very unlikely). If paying it off over 10 years you may have earn 600k pretax.

This excludes living expenses, for, ya know, living life

PSLF, PAYE, loan forgiveness etc requires trust in the government...

Don’t feel bad looking into salary, and don’t let those in academics or anyone make you feel bad about it either. Don’t be too vocal either way.

Enjoying your work is extremely important. Keep in mind that it’s work; it’s a grind. It’s not poolside lounging, golfing or making cash in your underwear at your dining room table by 9am. From a transaction standpoint you’re trading your time for money.

If you owe 300k, you’ll have to earn roughly 500k pre-tax to pay it off in a lump sum (very unlikely). If paying it off over 10 years you may have earn 600k pretax.
hahahaha wut.

Saying you need to earn 600k pretax to pay off 300k in loans is a hilarious and sad example of how horrible some physicians are with money, for a variety of reasons.

600k pretax is WORST CASE (Los Angeles, filing single, not married) $340k post tax or a ridiculous $28,300 PER MONTH after taxes. Now, let's say it took you a long and difficult 7 years after med school to become an attending (not unheard of for gen surg + fellowship or neurosurgery, otherwise, PGY-5 or 6 is where most high paying specialties like anes, rads, ortho, surgical optho, Mohs derm finish training, but we are talking about a worst case here). Let's also say for your $300k of debt you payed the minimum income based payment using the REPAYE plan during residency/fellowship. This puts your interest rate at about 3%. We will just ignore those little income-based payments and pretend you just let your debt balloon from interest with 0 payments (makes the math easier). Again, this is worst case, but with some financial acumen because you did use REPAYE to get half of your interest each month paid by Uncle Sam.

Now you are an attending and your debt is $370,000 in 2021 dollars (your debt increase in reality has barely out paced inflation...your inflation adjusted interest rate is more like 1-1.5% but we are doing worst case here so we will ignore that). You don't know any better so you don't refinance your loan down to 3% from 6% now that you make too much money to qualify for IBR/REPAYE.

Ok, here is the hard part: you have just 3 years to repay your loan (10 year loan - 7 years of residency = 3)!!!! Oh no!!! Sounds like a financial disaster right? Not at all. Your monthly loan payment for $370,000 of debt paid that needs to be paid off in 3 years is $10,700/month. So every month for 3 long years, you throw $10k at your loans and have to live like a peasant off $17,600/month post tax. Or in other words, you are going have a net income of $211k/year post tax and after loan payments. Better get used to ramen and a 300 square foot apartment in a rough part of town. For reference, that post-tax salary after loan payments is what a single person in LA making $350k would bring home...also known as the 97-98th percentile household income in the US.

Now, a more realistic scenario is making $320k/yr as an FM trained hospitalist. You want to pay off your debt quickly so you take a job in a state with no state income tax and a lower cost of living. You are lucky enough to be married by age 30 so you get that sweet sweet "married filing jointly" tax break. You are looking at $250k/yr or $20,800/month post tax . You are used to living off $55k/yr as a resident, or about $4,000/month post tax. You give yourself a 100% raise so now you spend $8000/month. You throw the remaining $12,800k of disposable income at your loans and pay it off in 2 years and 4 months. Afterwards, you ride off into the sunset working an average of 42hr/week making an income in the top 2-3% of one of the richest countries in the world.

Bonus fun fact: if you want to get about of debt in a year after your 3 year FM residency, work residency hours for a year (65hrs/week) and pick up extra hospitalist shifts. You can clear $500k pretax/$366k post-tax...live off $46k, pay off your $320k in loans in one year.

Tl;dr: you don't need $600k/yr to pay off a 10-year $300k loan. You can knock that amount of debt out in 2-3 years in a specialty with a 99% match rate as long as you break 210 on step 1. Thank you for coming to my ted talk.

hahahaha wut.

Saying you need to earn 600k pretax to pay off 300k in loans is a hilarious and sad example of how horrible some physicians are with money, for a variety of reasons.

600k pretax is WORST CASE (Los Angeles, filing single, not married) $340k post tax or a ridiculous $28,300 PER MONTH after taxes. Now, let's say it took you a long and difficult 7 years after med school to become an attending (not unheard of for gen surg + fellowship or neurosurgery, otherwise, PGY-5 or 6 is where most high paying specialties like anes, rads, ortho, surgical optho, Mohs derm finish training, but we are talking about a worst case here). Let's also say for your $300k of debt you payed the minimum income based payment using the REPAYE plan during residency/fellowship. This puts your interest rate at about 3%. We will just ignore those little income-based payments and pretend you just let your debt balloon from interest with 0 payments (makes the math easier). Again, this is worst case, but with some financial acumen because you did use REPAYE to get half of your interest each month paid by Uncle Sam.

Now you are an attending and your debt is $370,000 in 2021 dollars (your debt increase in reality has barely out paced inflation...your inflation adjusted interest rate is more like 1-1.5% but we are doing worst case here so we will ignore that). You don't know any better so you don't refinance your loan down to 3% from 6% now that you make too much money to qualify for IBR/REPAYE.

Ok, here is the hard part: you have just 3 years to repay your loan (10 year loan - 7 years of residency = 3)!!!! Oh no!!! Sounds like a financial disaster right? Not at all. Your monthly loan payment for $370,000 of debt paid that needs to be paid off in 3 years is $10,700/month. So every month for 3 long years, you throw $10k at your loans and have to live like a peasant off $17,600/month post tax. Or in other words, you are going have a net income of $211k/year post tax and after loan payments. Better get used to ramen and a 300 square foot apartment in a rough part of town. For reference, that post-tax salary after loan payments is what a single person in LA making $350k would bring home...also known as the 97-98th percentile household income in the US.

Now, a more realistic scenario is making $320k/yr as an FM trained hospitalist. You want to pay off your debt quickly so you take a job in a state with no state income tax and a lower cost of living. You are lucky enough to be married by age 30 so you get that sweet sweet "married filing jointly" tax break. You are looking at $250k/yr or $20,800/month post tax . You are used to living off $55k/yr as a resident, or about $4,000/month post tax. You give yourself a 100% raise so now you spend $8000/month. You throw the remaining $12,800k of disposable income at your loans and pay it off in 2 years and 4 months. Afterwards, you ride off into the sunset working an average of 42hr/week making an income in the top 2-3% of one of the richest countries in the world.

Bonus fun fact: if you want to get about of debt in a year after your 3 year FM residency, work residency hours for a year (65hrs/week) and pick up extra hospitalist shifts. You can clear $500k pretax/$366k post-tax...live off $46k, pay off your $320k in loans in one year.

Tl;dr: you don't need $600k/yr to pay off a 10-year $300k loan. You can knock that amount of debt out in 2-3 years in a specialty with a 99% match rate as long as you break 210 on step 1. Thank you for coming to my ted talk.
Lol. I think you misread my post. I’ll elaborate without the snark.

NOT 600k per annum. 600k over a span of 10 years. Nowhere in the post did I say a salary of X. Just what it will cost pretax over the life of the 10 year loan.
bonus for you: Go ahead and calculate the NPV of 600k over 10 years. Do it at your interest rate, but you don’t have that cash on hand as med student. Just an exercise for you.

Roughly 60k of you pretax money (40k post tax) per year will go to your student loan payment.

post tax money will pay the interest and principal. 300k whatever percent you’d like or can get. 300k in principal, roughly 80k in interest at roughly 5%. assuming no extra principle payments and following am amortization schedule. Aggressive principle payment means less interest over the life of the loan.

Glad I got to see the Tedtalk.

If you are going to be a physician, you are going to make at least 4x the median *household* income and be squarely in the 1%.

Just do whatever you want. You'll be OK.

If you are going to be a physician, you are going to make at least 4x the median *household* income and be squarely in the 1%.

Just do whatever you want. You'll be OK.
Nationwide, it takes an annual income of $538,926 to be among the top 1%.

Nationwide, it takes an annual income of $538,926 to be among the top 1%.
Exclude California, NY, and DC, and recalculate.

Unless you want to live there, of course. The premium is only hemorrhaging money...

Exclude California, NY, and DC, and recalculate.

Unless you want to live there, of course. The premium is only hemorrhaging money...
Unfortunately I live in CA (but not in the top 3 expensive markets) :)

Lol. I think you misread my post.
1614045417218.png

Welp, I am sorry...not my proudest response to misreading a post. Been wanting to give that Ted talk for awhile and was maybe a little too trigger happy...

• Haha
Marry another doctor then if you want to split hairs about it?

Either way 200k+ a year is a lot of money.
I'd argue it would be smarter to marry someone in business or CS, preferably before residency. That way your family income starts high and only gets higher, doubling, tripling, or more once you graduate residency.

You can start saving for retirement at a reasonable age (one of the biggest complaints) and start seriously paying down the loans during residency.

Plus, both business and CS have a wide variety of schedules, and can often work a LOT, so schedule matching is still quite possible.

I'd argue it would be smarter to marry someone in business or CS, preferably before residency. That way your family income starts high and only gets higher, doubling, tripling, or more once you graduate residency.

You can start saving for retirement at a reasonable age (one of the biggest complaints) and start seriously paying down the loans during residency.

Plus, both business and CS have a wide variety of schedules, and can often work a LOT, so schedule matching is still quite possible.

Idk, I think the most financially sound way to do this is to finance all education with military service, get the wife to homeschool, get the only good pension that still exist, and make the kids enlist if they want to go to college. Just my plan and 2 cents.