How to organize a binder?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CnCnds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How to organize a binder?

Can you post a picture of what you think a good example is?

How do you organize so
- minimize redundant info
- make info as compact and easy to read as possible
- make it as easy as possible to find things
- be able to make the binder while spending a reasonable amount of time on it

Members don't see this ad.

just stuff your things in the binder
post-it notes seem to help

Digital. Win.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
My binders were just the powerpoints/handouts for each class, with colored and labeled tabs dividing each lecture.

Step 1: Put notes in binder
Step 2: Put dividers for High Yield and Low Yield
Step 3: Turn on gas stove
Step 4: Light binder on fire
Step 5: Put binder in sink and watch it burn along with your social life
Step 6: ?????
Step 7: Profit

OneNote.

Or Evernote, if you have a Mac.

omg i tried using a binder for one week and it just got out of hand. i couldn't organize anything; it was too much. now i organize electronically. there is no way i can organize paper copies of notes. some people still do. i just think it's too cumbersome.

I'm not advising but since you ask...I use these colored folders and just stuff everything (handouts/my notes/little fascinating tidbits on post-its) related to that topic/class in its designated folder. Then when studying I grab that folder and sort it out.

You learn quickly that less is often more.

I only ever used a binder to hold class powerpoints. I took sticky notes, cut them up, labeled the ends with the lecture name, and used those as tabs so I could find the appropriate lecture easily. The sticky notes were color coded, so I could find it even easier. You can either order them by class (so all the colors in the same spot) or chronologically. In the front of the binder, I put our class schedule. Ta da. The end.

I take my own extremely shorthand notes from the powerpoint before going to or listening to the lecture. (I just type them up and print them.) I bring these to the lecture and highlight/annotate as I go. If I read a textbook or anything in addition, whatever notes I take get added in to the corresponding section also. This way, everything is in one place. Then I just use those white sticky labels as tabs, labeled for each lecture. I separately label any really high-yield chart or process that I know I'll need to find again.

Sounds complex, but it allows me multiple quick passes through the material, and gets it to stick much faster the first time.

- minimize redundant info
- make info as compact and easy to read as possible
- make it as easy as possible to find things
- be able to make the binder while spending a reasonable amount of time on it
These are all completely subjective. You have to do what works for you. I have a classmate with a learning disability who has AMAZING binders that would not work AT ALL for me.

I use Microsoft Onenote to stay organized, and I really love the program.