How to overcome low GPA??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyFutureBH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a pretty low cumulative GPA sitting around a 2.8 and my pre-req GPA sits around a 3.3-3.4 depending on the school. I'll be taking my GRE in a few months and I also just recieved my degree in Health Science while playing Football for all 4 years as well.

I'm currently working as a rehab tech at a skilled nursing facility getting plenty of experience as well as observation hours in other PT settings like: Home Health, Neurology, Inpatient, Pediatrics, & Outpatient.

What schools would you suggest I apply to? If anyone has similar stats that has had success with getting accepted I would definitly appreciate some advice. Thanks!:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Most everyone is going to tell you to retake your prereqs. Doing that will bring your prereq gpa over 3.5 and your overall gpa above 3.0.

Only a handful of schools will consider you with a gpa below 3.0, and they are apparently very expensive and lots of people in your situation apply, so it is just as competitive as anywhere else.

I say get that cGPA over a 3.0, crush the GRE and apply. Research to find schools that accept low stats / you can fulfill their PRs. I few off the top of my head are: Touro U. Nevada, U. St. Augustine, NYIT.

Members don't see this ad :)
...by THE POWER of Grayskull!

On a serious note... What is your last 60/90 GPA? I would concentrate on the schools that consider the last 60/90 AND destroying the GRE. I would also contact schools for exceptions since your pGPA is decent. Depending on your academic progress, retaking courses may be a waste of your time - consider only if you received a C or lower in any one of them.

Look into the University of Pacific in Stockton, CA.

Last edited:
That's correct. PTCAS recalculate original and retake grade. But the positives are that when your retake is an A, the school sees that you have matured, you are dedicated to wanting to become a pt, and that you are capable of obtaining an A.

I have a question about retaking pre-reqs. When the PTCAS calculates your GPA don't they count the original and the retake grade? So retaking pre-reqs would still raise the GPA especially on transcripts but not as much on the PTCAS?

Some schools will consider only the highest grade, rather than averaging the two. They may do their own calculations rather than using the PTCAS ones. You can research the individual schools you are interested in to find out whether they average the two or just take the highest grade.

I have a pretty low cumulative GPA sitting around a 2.8 and my pre-req GPA sits around a 3.3-3.4 depending on the school. I'll be taking my GRE in a few months and I also just recieved my degree in Health Science while playing Football for all 4 years as well.

I'm currently working as a rehab tech at a skilled nursing facility getting plenty of experience as well as observation hours in other PT settings like: Home Health, Neurology, Inpatient, Pediatrics, & Outpatient.

What schools would you suggest I apply to? If anyone has similar stats that has had success with getting accepted I would definitly appreciate some advice. Thanks!:xf:

Hey MyFutureBH,
I'm not sure if you'll be looking back at this forum, of if you've already gotten into PT school, but I thought I could maybe help you out, or maybe give some hope to people who are also in your situation.
GPA: First of all, I wouldn't get bogged down with your cumulative GPA. Maybe retaking or just taking a community college course will give you a little boost in your GPA, my cumulative GPA was a 3.09 after undergrad, and I took an additional course in community college to bring me to a 3.12 overall. My pre-req GPA was very similar to yours (between 3.2 and 3.4 depending on the program).

GRE My GRE is what helped me. I had a combined score of 311 (new version) or 1200. If you have a low GPA its worth retaking (my score has improved every time).

Experience, Experience, Experience I think you're definitely headed in the right direction with boosting your experience, and working as a rehab tech. Schools love that you're doing everything you can to understand the field you're getting into.

If at first you don't succeed try, try again If you ran/run into a situation like mine, and you have to apply multiple times, make sure you do something new, even the smallest thing (like taking an extra course) to improve your application. Schools see these "new" things as a sign of your dedication to becoming a PT.

They want to know YOU Do your best to write a killer essay. Cram in as much stuff about yourself as you can, while still answering the question...the schools want to know who you are, and how that ties into your desire to be a PT.

From looking at other forums I've heard that University of St. Augustine (a non-PTCAS school) has lower GPA requirements. Hope that helps! Best of luck! Feel free to contact me with any questions/comments!

For the record here are my "stats":

Undergrad: The College of William and Mary
Major: Kinesiology and Health Sciences
GPA: total 3.12, undergrad 3.09, pre-req 3.2-3.4
GRE: 157 V, 154 Q, 4.0 W...a 1200 on the older scale

Hours: 90 outpatient ortho, 44 SNF, 30 pediatric outpatient, and worked a little over a year as an inpatient rehab tech

Extra-curricular: Led and participated in service trips for Students Helping Honduras, along with other mini service things
Applied: Western Carolina University (2nd time applying), UNC-Chapel Hill, Emory (2nd time applying), Mercer, Elon
Rejections: UNC-Chapel Hill, Elon
Interviews: WCU
Acceptances: WCU! (I haven't heard back from Emory or Mercer yet)

Hey MyFutureBH,
I'm not sure if you'll be looking back at this forum, of if you've already gotten into PT school, but I thought I could maybe help you out, or maybe give some hope to people who are also in your situation.
GPA: First of all, I wouldn't get bogged down with your cumulative GPA. Maybe retaking or just taking a community college course will give you a little boost in your GPA, my cumulative GPA was a 3.09 after undergrad, and I took an additional course in community college to bring me to a 3.12 overall. My pre-req GPA was very similar to yours (between 3.2 and 3.4 depending on the program).

GRE My GRE is what helped me. I had a combined score of 311 (new version) or 1200. If you have a low GPA its worth retaking (my score has improved every time).

Experience, Experience, Experience I think you're definitely headed in the right direction with boosting your experience, and working as a rehab tech. Schools love that you're doing everything you can to understand the field you're getting into.

If at first you don't succeed try, try again If you ran/run into a situation like mine, and you have to apply multiple times, make sure you do something new, even the smallest thing (like taking an extra course) to improve your application. Schools see these "new" things as a sign of your dedication to becoming a PT.

They want to know YOU Do your best to write a killer essay. Cram in as much stuff about yourself as you can, while still answering the question...the schools want to know who you are, and how that ties into your desire to be a PT.

From looking at other forums I've heard that University of St. Augustine (a non-PTCAS school) has lower GPA requirements. Hope that helps! Best of luck! Feel free to contact me with any questions/comments!

For the record here are my "stats":

Undergrad: The College of William and Mary
Major: Kinesiology and Health Sciences
GPA: total 3.12, undergrad 3.09, pre-req 3.2-3.4
GRE: 157 V, 154 Q, 4.0 W...a 1200 on the older scale

Hours: 90 outpatient ortho, 44 SNF, 30 pediatric outpatient, and worked a little over a year as an inpatient rehab tech

Extra-curricular: Led and participated in service trips for Students Helping Honduras, along with other mini service things
Applied: Western Carolina University (2nd time applying), UNC-Chapel Hill, Emory (2nd time applying), Mercer, Elon
Rejections: UNC-Chapel Hill, Elon
Interviews: WCU
Acceptances: WCU! (I haven't heard back from Emory or Mercer yet)

Thank you , I just PM you!!

Another way to increase your chances is to volunteer with research...even if you help collect data for a project or two...being able to say that you participated in research goes a LONG way...plus it can land you a prestigious LoR on top of it!

To repeat what everyone said above, different schools interpret admissions criteria differently. Some average retakes, others take the highest grade, etc.

If you have questions about a particular school, call the school and ask to talk to somebody. You could possibly review your accomplishments, and get an idea of how likely you are to be invited for an interview.

...by THE POWER of Grayskull!
Depending on your academic progress, retaking courses may be a waste of your time - consider only if you received a C or lower in any one of them.

I agree with this with some additions. Don't just consider, actually retake any pre req you got a C in. Bs are fine but accepting a C grade doesn't look good.

As for raising your overall consider taking some courses that aren't on the pre req list but look good and are usually recommended. These could include exercise phys, micro or cell bio, extra psych classes, biostats. If you commit yourself to working hard and excelling in some of these tougher science courses you will prove to an admissions committee that you will be able to handle the PT curriculum.

And schools DO look at those GRE scores, especially the analytical and verbal!

Good Luck!