This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flibertigibet

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took the Texas Jurisprudence Exam a few days ago for Texas licensure.

We did not have an 'in house' crib sheet at my program for this exam, and I couldn't find much on the forums, so I decided to put this together to help those of you who need a bit of guidance with study strategy and resources.

The exam is 60 questions, for which you have 100 minutes. All multiple choice with many including "all of the above" or "none of the above" as a final option. You will schedule the exam with Pearsonvue online. Bathroom breaks are allowed, but the clock does not stop, so pee quickly.

With the following guidelines, I was fortunate to overachieve, finishing the test in about 30 minutes and scoring a 98%. If anyone has any corrections or additions, please feel free to PM me or comment directly in the thread; I will update as appropriate.

Overall thoughts:
The exam is, at its essence, a collection of exceptions, deadlines, and crime classifications. Much of it is not well organized by any of the resources out there (the TJP tried in one of their updates, but still came up short). As such, I have included a summary of exceptions, deadlines and crime classifications that I made myself later in this post. The TJP website repeatedly makes the point that knowing specific classification of misdemeanors is not important, but they test it in their own material, and the classification is definitely on the exam.

Study guides:
Different reviews have different strengths and weaknesses. None is complete in and of itself. Reviewing them, I found several discrepancies between the texts, which I have also summarized later in this post. The Zerris prep is available on Quizlet, as are some other high yield notecard sets. In brief:

41s1dXAqNFL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

- UTMB Galveston Texas Jurisprudence Study Guide (3/5) $$ - The text was written by JD/PhDs and is the most comprehensive resource that I used in prep. This is an outline format study guide which goes through all of Texas law to an insane level of detail. The major strength of the text are the questions at the book finale.

While the book is about 400 pages, the last 70 are multiple choice questions with the answer key referencing the part of the book text that explains the correct answer. These are incredibly high yield, and resemble about 50% of test content -- many of them were taken by the TJP website for their own questions. The only way I was able to go through this text without falling asleep too much was by doing the multiple choice first, then retrograde reading the appropriate sections. Afterwards, I quickly skimmed the text antegrade. The major negative, which is significant, is that the text is mind numbingly boring, with huge sections of text cut-and-paste repeated, and with little shorthand.

logo.png

-Texasjurisprudenceprep.com (3/5) $$$ - This is a decent resource written and prepared by two Texan ER docs. The course is somewhat costly, and essentially consists of a flash powerpoint presentation with the course creators speaking over the slide followed by 6 short quizzes. Their humor is a bit annoying (ie. hearing the joke the first time is cute, but can be trying when hearing it again and again with each review), but they convey their points succinctly.

Regarding the course content, it is decent. The highest yield portions are 1) the last slide of the entire presentation which is an overall review and 2) the quizzes, many of which are copied from the UTMB Galveston study guide almost word for word. The authors stress Quizzes 5 and 6, but all are helpful, and can be done fairly quickly a few times. They apparently have done their best to duplicate questions on the exam, and they do a decent job of it, with about 30-60% overlap. With a minimum passing score of 75%, this website can take you much of the way there.

41vngnDOCsL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

-Texas Jurisprudence Study Guide by Zerris and Smith (2/5) $ - This is a bulletpoint question and answer book written by three Texan neurosurgeons, one of whom is also trained as a JD. There are two great things about this study guide and a few bad things. First, it is available on Kindle. As such, you can quickly go through it on your phone running around the hospital or while in line running errands till the answers are memorized. Second, the final chapter is a summary of several of the dates and misdemeanors that need to be remembered, and is the most useful part of the entire text. I have included most of the information from that section later in this post. The negatives of this book are that is has quite a few discrepancies, is out of date, and does not provide much context. Whereas the Galveston study guide is overly detailed, this text is too sparse. The book is available for free online via Quizlet (just google Texas Jurisprudence Prep study cards).

Shorthand:
- MHIP = Mental Health InPatient
- Galveston = UTMB Galveston Texas Jurisprudence Self Study Guide, 13th edition 2010 (http://imh.utmb.edu/resources/jurisprudence-study-guide)
- Zerris = Texas Jurisprudence Study Guide by Zerris and Smith (available on Amazon)
- TJP = Online review course texasjurisprudenceprep.com
- TJP updates = The TJP website has updated its information a few times and made charts of important deadlines and penalties. These can be found for free (at the time of this post) by googling the pdfs.

--
Discrepancies:

1. CME
- Zerris - 6 CMEs from volunteering, 12 CME 1 category, 24 total
- Galveston - 50% from volunteering - 50% of category 2 credit is the correct answer

2. NP/PA supervision
- Zerris - 3 PAs
- Internet and TJP update - 7 PAs - 7 is the updated answer

3. Secondary practice sites
- Zerris - 60 miles
- Galveston - 75 miles - 75 is the updated answer

4. How many days can NPs and PA prescribe
- Zerris - 90 days / 30 days
- Galveston - 30 days
- TJP update - 90 days - 90 is the updated answer

5. How many abortions per year for facility to be licensed
- Zerris - 50/year
- Galveston - 100/year (p. 346)

--
Time:

Immediate
-Verbal report abuse (professionals/nonprofessionals; professionals have 48 hours for written report)
-Report to State Dept re: anthrax, botulism, cholera, smallpox, diphtheria, rabies, polio, plague, typhus, yellow fever - "outbreak" diagnoses (1 day for tb/pertussis)
-Gunshot and overdose reports
-Notify DFPS about abandoned infant

1 hour
-Time to evaluate restrained patient as to need for restraints

4 hours
-Time to spend looking for next of kin with organ donation
-Time within which to notify MD of MHIP discharge request and after which MD must examine w/i 24hrs

24 hours
-Department of Protective Regulatory Services investigates report of suspected child/elder abuse
-Notice to pt re: impending abortion
-Time to evaluate non restrained patient for involuntary POC/court ordered (12/48 for initial assessment/eval of need if just MD and involuntary) mental health admission; have till 72 hours for probable cause, no longer than 90 days total
-Inform re: pertussis and tb
-<24 h death of nursing home resident after xfer to hospital has to be reported
-Inform mental health pt of rights (72 h for written bill of rights)

48 hours
-Notice to parents of minor re: impending abortion
-After emergency detention, time for probable cause hearing (MD far less power than courts)
-Report child abuse
-Length of time pt has to discuss psychoactive rx w/md

3 days
-Pharmacist can prescribe emergency prescription for this long if provider cannot be reached
-Time frame for probable cause hearing after point of custody for drug/MHIP; set date of judicial hearing within 14 days from date of court ordered detention (as opposed to 12/48 hours and 14 for emergency detention)

4 days
-Time from a sexual assault that victim can still have a useful rape exam (ie. residua)

5 days
-Nursing home abuse confirmation in writing (oral report immediately)
-Birth report
-Days within which MD eval has to be done for inpatient mental health protective custody hearing; follow up probable cause needs to be w/i next 3 days

7 days
-Days of Schedule 2-5 rx with which you can discharge a patient from hospital
-Time for MD to mail emergency rx to pharmacy when it's called in (i.e. same length of time for which rx can be filled)
-Inform re: communicable diseases like gonorrhea, syphilis and salmonella
-Inform DPS of changes to info (strict; 30 days in TJP update)

10 days - Death and taxes
-Death report (by funeral director; by MD it is 5 days)
-Itemized bill if patient requests (15 days for medical records) - per website; vs 30 on Zerris
-Time for pt to pay for requested medical records
-MD has to visit underserved clinic q10 days
-Time TMB has to update profile in response to complaint about inaccuracy

15 days
-Report anesthesia office complication (admission to hospital in 24h or death in 72h)
-MD to provide requested medical records (calendar days for hospital; business days for MD)
-Blood bank to pay for blood
-Time board has to report on website information given to them about physician incompetence from hospital/professional society
-MD to review board reported info on first release (then it is 30 days within each yearly release)
-Time from petition for indefinite stay petition that hearing must be held
-MD to respond to board requests for medical records or question responses about renewal application
-After involuntary admission by protective order custody/court order, time from detention for final judicial hearing in drug abuse/MHIP (14)
-Days before xfer of embryo/sperm that gestational agreement has to be signed (14)

TMB hospital <--> board communication
-Time hospital committee has to report disciplinary medical actions to TMB (for restrictions greater than 30 days) [hospital:TMB]
-Time board has to give data to hospital requesting it [TMB:hospital]

30 days
-Terminate physician patient relationship / sexual abuse of patient / Time to notify Dept of Health of 3rd trimester abortion / Send itemized bill to patient after request / initial hearing screening (f/u till 2 yrs; book says during birth admission)
-Time to have hearing regarding psychoactive rx by MD
-Time after 3rd trimester abx for written explanation
-Provide bill for nursing home inpt (same amt as time to discharge)

TMB communication license/lawsuits/files/appeals/penalties
-Days prior to expiration of license that TMB notifies you; also how long you can practice without renewing and still have a license
-Report lawsuits moral turpitude, drug abuse, to TMB
-Time to appeal board disciplinary action; pay administrative penalty, MD gets file from board
-How long in advance the board tells MD of pending hearing
-Time board has to report to NPDB/MD/medicare suspension/restriction of physician or malpractice claim (board more time than hospital committee to board; report to hospital of MD next work day)

-TDH needs to update online list of post partum depression counselors
-Time frame ahead that 2 physicians need to agree before final hearing for chemical dependency eval or court ordered MHIP (only one of MDs has to be w/i 30 days for MHIP)
-PD to tell that someone did not show up for residency (vs 7)
-Police run a "monthly check" on physicians (Zerris)
-After allowing Schedule 2 phone rx in emergency, send written report to DPS (7 days for rx to pharmacy)

45 days - law and corporate payout
-Time to provide medical records to suing attorney
-Time for HMO to pay after receipt of bill from MD (either regular bill or workers comp)

60 days
-Age until which ER can take possession of abandoned infant
-Notice for sexual assault charges (longer to write the report)
-Advanced notice (letter of intent) of lawsuit sent to MD - give time for settlement
-Min time for indefinite commitment hearing for mental health inpatient stay

75 things
-75 days - notice letter extends statute date limitation for lawsuit
-75 miles - distance a secondary practice can be from primary practice site

90 days
-Length of time for which PA/NPs can write rx
-Physician in training has to submit permit 90 days before beginning training
->this late for child support, suspend license
-30-90 days is temporary mental health involuntary admission; 90-365 is extended stay; need to have re-hearing at 60 days for extended/indefinite
-Pt requested amendments to their record are accepted or denied
-Frequency that DPS checks on physicians
-How often MD updated on complaints filed with TMB

95 days
-Time after workers comp injury that MD needs to submit bill to insurance; insurance then has 45 days to respond; if denied, MD has another 45 days to appeal

120 days
-Expert findings for liability must be filed w/i 120 days of a malpractice claim
-Results of NBME examinations to examinees

6 months
-Board reports disciplinary actions on MDs

270 days
-Time that non licensed MD can have provisional license while awaiting licensure, but only if good standing license in another state and sponsored by native TX MD

11 months
-Time to bill patient for services

1 year
-DPS license renewal (stricter than DEA; where rx sends Schedule II records)
-After license expiration that it is cancelled and requires reapplication
-Update of core credentials on board website (30 days after publication can submit correction; 15 days within first posting)
-Pharmacy license to prescribe renewal
-Abortion clinics and private hospitals submit yearly reports to TSDHS
-Private psychiatry hospital report

2 years
-DPS keeps drug records (increased to 3 years per TJP update)
-Keep copies of ads
-Medical license renewal
-Min pt age for which PA/NPs can write rx
-Follow up period for hearing screenings that is covered
-Hospital queries NPDB q2yrs

3 years
-DEA license
-HMOs provide health risk assessment to subscribers
-Length of time to keep DPS records (extended from 1 or 2 years - discrepancy between TJP handouts)

4 years
-Time insurance adjuster has time to bring lawsuit for fraud

5 years
-Records of xferred patients
-Time limit to self report intemperate use of drugs/etoh to board and still be considered self admission
-Board has to remove complaints from website after 5 years if no action taken on MD license as a result of complaint

6 years
-immunizations paid for by insurance
-<6 yo death leads to inquest with JP or ME
-Time to keep record of PHI disclosures

12 years
-Minimum age MR child can donate kidney (with consent of ward)

14 years
-Less than this age, abuse is classified 'child abuse' and a criminal offense
-If pt pregnant <14 yo, suspect abuse

16 years
-Can self admit as MHIP

17 years
-Donate blood (not compensated till 18)

18 years
-Min age organ donation

65 years
-Over this age, need 2 physician approval for ECT

100 years
-Time after which medical records declassified for historical purposes

--
Fetal age:
-16 weeks - until which can do outpatient abortion
-20 weeks - after which must report fetal death (or 350 grams)

--
Committees:
- TMB - 9 3 7
- District review committees - 3 1 3 - 4 total in Texas
- Medical competence 3 / 3 (only physicians)
- Medical disclosure panel 6 / 3 (MDs and JDs)
- Rural medical education board 3 / 3 (rural MDs / citizens)

--
Felonies and misdemeanors:

Felonies: Kevorkian (encourage pt suicide & successful), malicious child abuse reporting (not reporting is class B), kickback repeat offender, manufacture/sale dangerous drug (possession=class A); practicing without license (3rd), falsifying birth/death certif (3rd), xfer child for $ (3rd), malicious reporting of child abuse, promoting suicide if successful, solicitationx2 (3rd), manufacture/sale of dangerous rx; practicing medicine in violation of MPA (3rd); sexual abuse nursing home pt (2nd); accepting money that affects care of patient; surgery while drunk (state jail felony); MR sexual assault (2nd degree); 2nd time cosmetics violation

Class A Gossiping, unauthorized drug tx program, unlawful possession of dangerous drug, gossiping, cosmetics (2nd time, felony); moving dead body, solicitation/payment for referral, possession of dangerous rx; elder abuse/malicious reporting (except outside nursing home=B, give the benefit of the doubt for kid ratting on parents/grandparents). Secretly tests for HIV before procedure. violation of Texas FD and cosmetic act (ie. manufacture/sale/advertisement/distribution/dispensing; alteration drug labels). Violation of medical practice act. Tampering w medical record (heavy bc almost impossible); tampering with TMB documents. Alteration of advanced directive. Operating drug tx program sans license. Dissect/disturb corpse. Ignore court order to stop spreading disease. Running drug rehab program sans license. MPA violation (other than practicing sans license); EMTALA B/A depending on if injury or intentional A/felony (intentional or injury each upgrade it a class); unlawful disclosure of physician investigation by board; mental health abuse treated like elder abuse not child abuse (class A not B); failure to report MR abuse

Class B Unapproved medical claim; not reporting communicable disease (w/i 7 days). Fake DEA registration or use of suspended DEA registration; child abuse failure/malicious (per TJP website; Zerris says malicious felony 2nd), illegal autopsy (invalid order); concealing infectious disease exposure or quarantine device/control measures (refusal of entry is class A)

Class C KDS knowingly do not notify of inquest for death; doesn't file death certificate properly and encourages suicide but fails; prescribes morphine using DEA; consensual sex with his elderly patient; poor birth report filing (mistaken, not falsified)

Unauthorized release of medical records is "misdemeanor". PHI fines below.

--
Fines:
-EMTALA = 50k
-Anti-kickback = Civil $50k/Criminal $25k + 5 years jail
* Violation Kickback = 10k per violation
* Up to 250k/physician or 500k/hospital
-Civil False claim $10k / Criminal False Claim $25k 5y / Fraud Statement $250k 5 yrs / Rico $25k 20 years in prison
-Violation of MPA class act $5k
-Abortion on minor without calling $10k
-HIPAA - negligent violations $100/violation up to $25k
-PHI 50k/1 year for violating
-$100k/5 yrs if committed under false pretenses
-$250k/10 yrs if for profit
-Fraud $50 - 500 - 1.5k - 20k - 100k - 200k - Class A misdemeanor to 1st degree felony; if multiple crimes, get upgraded a degree from the most serious of them

--
Misc:
-48 CME can be carried forward, 24 CME applied retrograde
-Diseases that need immediate report to TSDHS: Anthrax/SARS, yellow fever/plague/rabies, pertussis/measles/smallpox, polio, hepatitis, diphtheria
-Microbiology immediate report to TSDHS: VRSA, VRE, Neisseria, HIV
-Toe tagging: AIDS, anthrax, avian flu, brucellosis, cholera, CJD, hanta, hepatitis, plague, Q fever, rabies, relapsing fever, RMSF, SARS, smallpox, tb, tularemia, viral hemorrhagic fever (ie. dengue)

-Dangerous drugs not in sched 1-5: procaine
-Schedule I: LSD, heroin, quaaludes
-Schedule II: Codeine, demerol, cocaine, amphetamines, barbiturates
-Schedule III: Anabolic steroids, tylenol #3
-Schedule IV: Valium chlordiazeoxide clonazepam (klonopin)
-Schedule V: antitussive anti-diarrheal

-Child vaccines MMR DTP + Hep A and strep
-Organ donation allowed for xplant, hospital research, forensic program at college

The exam is essentially rote memorization, equivalent to about 1-2 days of medical school. Start with TJP online and this text on your phone. If you want to be completely safe, purchase the Galveston review, but do the questions in back first then retrograde read the text based on the page numbers in the answer key. Do all of that, and you should be golden. Good luck!

PS. I am selling my UTMB Galveston study guide. The text is in used condition, but has appropriate highlighting based on the TJP website. Questions in back are untouched (aside from errata amendments from Galveston that I updated in the answer key).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
You're welcome. I (hopefully) will never have to learn this again, so figured might as well pass along the notesets I made.

Here are some specific points from the various preps that were good to know:

-difference in penalty for falsification DEA practice vs expired DEA
-difference in birth certificate falsification vs error/delay submittance of certificate.
- 30 days to inform board re: address change
- Practicing medicine without license - misdemeanor or felony?
- Physician + non physician can't form business - Can perform abortion to protect mother if fetus has severe neurologic deficit
- What is required if license expired 3 yrs?
- Board disciplinary actions on MDs are public record not private
-Alzheimer's, AIDS, alcoholism and epilepsy are not mental illnesses.
- Restrictions on HIV positive MD; whether restricted from all procedures or only exposure prone ones and whether HIV positive MDs can do exposure prone procedure if pt is unable to give consent or denial (i.e. trauma, incapacitated)
- Time to give medical records to pt vs. attorney
- Mental health inpt exceptions to minor admittance
- What schedules can PAs and NPs rx (II as well, per latest update)
- Need to be rural for MD to make money prescribing medication
- How long to keep pt records
-Do you need special license to perform a rape exam?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Do NOT spend money on the online test prep course. The Texas Medical Jurisprudence Exam: A Concise Review by Ben White (available on Amazon as a digital book for $10 or less) is all you need. I unfortunately paid over $200 for the online course before stumbling on Ben White's concise review. I think the online prep course added a few points to my score, but I passed with plenty of room to spare.

Reactions: 3 users
I know a few people that failed this exam by underestimating the level of detail asked. Superstar types that never failed anything ever by a wide margin. Don't take it lightly and don't assume you'll do fine with minimal prep.

--
Il Destriero

Reactions: 4 users
This update posted on behalf of a user who wishes to remain anonymous.

------------

I took the TX medical jurisprudence exam in early 2017 and wanted to update a few things in this otherwise really excellent and helpful thread.

GENERAL INFO
The test is now 50 questions to be answered within 90 minutes. There are NO BREAKS ALLOWED. If you take an unscheduled break for any reason, your testing session is ended and your test is automatically scored at whatever point you stopped. You still get your score immediately after completing the test, and you are still required to score 75% or better to pass. You are also still required to schedule the test at a Pearsonvue center. Make sure to bring TWO FORMS OF ID (like driver's license + passport) and your testing permit with you when you go to take the test, or they won't let you take it.

RESOURCES
  • "The TX Medical Jurisprudence Exam: A Concise Review" by Ben White (e-book, $10) - excellent book at just the right level of detail, read four times
  • TX medical jurisprudence flash card set - created from the Zerris book, can be found online for free, a bit out of date and probably not sufficient prep on its own but a good adjunct resource, went through four times
  • Texasjurisprudenceprep.com offers ten free practice questions on their site, which I also went through four times. I did not buy the course, and I don't think it's necessary to do this - just as a matter of principle, I have to object to spending three times as much on a prep course compared to the test fee.
  • For practice questions, I used a new TX Medical Jurisprudence Exam practice question app, which offers 234 questions for $10. You can buy the app on Amazon or through the Apple App Store. I took a bit of a risk on buying this resource since there were no reviews on Amazon or on Apple (the app just came out a couple of months ago), but I think it fills a niche for people like me who want to have quality practice questions at a reasonable price. The questions were very representative of the real exam, and I went through them four times as well. If you're going to use this resource, make sure you're buying the physician version for $10, not the PA version (which was a few dollars cheaper). There is also a study guide app written by the same author, which I didn't buy after seeing several reviews that said it was essentially compiled from the Ben White book and flash card set mentioned above.
  • SDN - I skimmed through the times and crimes listed in the first post in this thread the morning of the test. It's a good review, but it is way more detailed than what you need to know for the test.

STUDY SCHEDULE:
I'm an AMG who has been practicing in another state. Since I didn't do any of my training for med school or residency in TX, I spent about 20 hours total on prep over a period of two weeks. This was probably overkill, because I ended up "peaking" a day or two before I was scheduled to take the exam. I scored 94% on the exam using this plan. It took me 20 minutes to answer the 50 questions and another five minutes to review my answers, for a total of 25 minutes. In hindsight, I probably would have studied for 10-12 days total (about 15 hours) and gone through all of the materials listed above three times.

Reactions: 1 user
I just read the Ben White book twice, a couple of chapters two more times, an hour here or there over two weeks. Maaaaaaybe 10 hours total studying. Passed no problem. I am a good test taker, some people probably need a little more time, some probably need less time to study. I didn't do med school or residency in Texas. This is not the USMLE or even the board exams, it is probably about as hard as an easy college test.

I'm currently a PGY-2 IM resident. I am a Texas resident who is out of state for residency. I plan on returning upon completion of residency. I have started the licensing process as I've heard its quite tedious. A PGY-3 colleague who just signed contracts in Texas gifted me what was left of her online course at
Texasjurisprudenceprep.com. Since it was expiring Feb 8 and I knew there was a 3 attempt rule, in an effort to save $210 course fee I decided to prep for the few days I had left and take it. I prepped for 4 days. There is a 4 hour powerpoint video presentation and 6 quizzes. I simply did not have time to read books, do flashcards, etc. as my schedule won't be letting up anytime soon. I just did what I could after work.

Day 1: 2 hours of the video powerpoint
Day 2. remaining 2 hours of the video powerpoint
Day 3: quiz 1-3
Day 4: quiz 4-6
Day 5: Took the exam and scored a 98. only missed one question.

The course was well worth it. Extremely representative of the exam. And I'm so relieved that I didn't have to do more. In general I'm not a good standardized test taker. But this is not a standardized exam. Very straight forward exam. It didn't cost me anything as it was gifted to me but I'd pay if I had to just to minimize my prep time.

Hope this helps someone.

Reactions: 1 users
To bump the thread.
I took the test a week ago and got a 90%.
I studied intensely from scratch for 1.5 days (after work 1 day and the full day before the exam at noon the following day)
I agree with the posters who say save your $.

The updates above are still relevant as of 2018 and there are some free flash cards links floating around on this forum, as well as that free 10-question quiz on the TJP study website.

MEMORIZE these (^^ is ALL I STUDIED FOR FREE; ended up going over everything 4 times and used google to clarify things that confused me or had discrepancies), and use "common sense" (e.g., knowledge you have picked up from medical laws in your state) and you will more than pass (remember you just need to pass, not EXCEL, this is not Step 1)

I finished the test in 20 mins and took another 20 to recheck my answers (bc I really did not want to take it again, only changed one question). I found that the questions are not tricky for the most part- either you know it or you don't.

Good luck, looking to get my TX license soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Just took it. - Summer 2018
Read Ben White's book x2, the notes above x2 and reviewed a bunch of questions available for free on quizlet. Maybe 7-8 hours of studying over the course of 3 days. Passed with an 88. Definitely don't need to spend a ton of money on the online course. My husband took it 2 years ago and said the online prep course was great and highly recommended it but I didn't want to spend that much.

Hi, i am planning to write exam but i checked amazon and ben white book is unavailable. If anyone has soft copy and can share with me, I would be highly obliged.

Just passed the exam with minimal effort with all the great advice on this forum.

This is ALL you need:
1) The Texas Medical Jurisprudence Exam: A Concise Review by Ben White - $12 on Apple store, took an hour to read
2) TX Medical Jurisprudence Exam practice question app, which offers 234 questions for $10 on Apple Store, took 3 hours to do and review all questions
3) Reviewed both a second time
4) Looked over first post (big help)

I'd say total 6 hours the day before, and one hour the morning of exam -> 92

Thanks for your help guys!

I just took my exam today 10/2018, and thanks to all the advices from above I scored a 92. These are what I used to study

1. The Texas Medical Jurisprudence Exam: A Concise Review by Ben White- read it 1 time thoroughly and slowly to try to understand it, and then skimmed through it 2x after that
2. TX Medical Jurisprudence Exam practice question app, 234 questions- did it the first time slowly and read all explanations, cleared all answers and retried all questions again for the 2nd time, and then the 3rd time I only tried the questions that I had previously missed
3. The 10 free quiz questions on the jurisprudence prep site- went through it 2x

I’m not a good test taker but I think if you use the resources above, they would be sufficient enough to give you a passing score, I was ecstatic with my 92!

Found some discrepancies in HOW MUCH CAN YOU CHARGE for MEDICAL RECORDS. This seems to be the answer from most of the prep questions: $25 for up to 20 pages, then $0.50/page after that. Then I'm seeing that the madness below might be another answer. HELP!!!
(1) a basic retrieval or processing fee, which must include the fee for providing the first 10 pages of copies and which may not exceed $48.10; and (A) a charge for each page of: (i) $1.62 for the 11th through the 60th page of provided copies; (ii) 79 cents for the 61st through the 400th page of provided copies; (iii) 43 cents for any remaining pages of the provided copies; and (B) the actual cost of mailing, shipping, or otherwise delivering the provided copies;

Found some discrepancies in HOW MUCH CAN YOU CHARGE for MEDICAL RECORDS. This seems to be the answer from most of the prep questions: $25 for up to 20 pages, then $0.50/page after that. Then I'm seeing that the madness below might be another answer. HELP!!!
(1) a basic retrieval or processing fee, which must include the fee for providing the first 10 pages of copies and which may not exceed $48.10; and (A) a charge for each page of: (i) $1.62 for the 11th through the 60th page of provided copies; (ii) 79 cents for the 61st through the 400th page of provided copies; (iii) 43 cents for any remaining pages of the provided copies; and (B) the actual cost of mailing, shipping, or otherwise delivering the provided copies;

Just go with the first answer.

Don’t stress this. I recently took this exam and if you are worrying about page costs you are overthinking this exam.

Just go with the first answer.

Don’t stress this. I recently took this exam and if you are worrying about page costs you are overthinking this exam.

Thanks! Will let you know if any other discrepancies come up. Just slamming in my requisite two days of studying, I take it tomorrow! :)

How heavy were they on the test for penalties (Misdemeanors, Felonies and $$$ amounts)?

How heavy were they on the test for penalties (Misdemeanors, Felonies and $$$ amounts)?

$$$ amounts I didn’t have any, but classifying certain things yes. All I did was the Ben White book a couple times and do the review questions on the app you can buy in the App Store a couple times. And the free questions on texas’s Website. I finished in 30 mins and passed.

They might have had 1-2 dollar amounts or penalties on the whole test. So don’t fret too much over these! They did have quite a few things on duty to report, diseases, and a lot on what is or isn’t legal (hence, “jurisprudence” exam). I didn’t buy anything. I studied the big 500 cardset on Quizlet, the smaller 150 cardset on Cram.com, and this thread. Studied these for about 15-20 hours solid, and took the free quiz online 3 times. Made an 86 on the test today. Thanks for everyone’s help.

Just took the test and passed with 88%. Only resource used was the little Ben White ebook. I read it twice in the 4 days before the exam. Some tricky questions, but the Ben White book honestly had everything you need. By this point we should all be proficient test takers, so use those test-taking MCQ skills and you’ll be fine.

I used Texas Jurisprudence Prep and that was more than sufficient. The exam isn't difficult, but random details that you are unlikely to know unless you actually studied form the bulk of the exam.

The Ben White book was recommended to me (his wife is actually faculty at our institution and provided us with an initial, pre-publication draft of the text), but I much prefer AV presentations over a book, which is why I went with TJP.

Just took my test today, scored 96%
Downloaded : ben white book- read X2 2 days before exam
Did all the questions on the android app JP Practice ( gold color icon that has JP in big blue letters) - did this 4 hours before exam, once.

Ben white book did NOT have everything i needed for the test- maybe 5-6 qs.. but i just used my best guess for those.
20-25 min to run through the test the first time, another 20 to re-read questions. I changed 2 answers .. make sure you dont miss silly things like "is" vs "is NOT".

I passed by using resources gained though this thread, so thank you.

Bump

Any recent tips? I think you can take online now.

I cannot find Ben White book on Amazon. The official prep materials cost 100 bucks.. Any other ways to prepare?

Bump

Any recent tips? I think you can take online now.

I cannot find Ben White book on Amazon. The official prep materials cost 100 bucks.. Any other ways to prepare?

It isn’t on amazon, you have to buy it from his website. It is $10.

Has anyone taken the new online test? Is it now open book from comfort of living room? Have the questions or study material needed changed?

Has anyone taken the new online test? Is it now open book from comfort of living room? Have the questions or study material needed changed?

It's the same material. You can take it now unproctored at home, which is a great change. The TMB does now offer their own materials, which you can rent for a hefty fee. They are not necessary.

Agreed. I only used the Ben White book and everything went well.

I just passed. This study guide above and some common sense is sufficient.

@rolen05 I am about to take my exam and starting my prep. So Ben White book was enough, it seems? And is this an open book test?
Thanks

You're welcome. I (hopefully) will never have to learn this again, so figured might as well pass along the notesets I made.

Here are some specific points from the various preps that were good to know:

-difference in penalty for falsification DEA practice vs expired DEA
-difference in birth certificate falsification vs error/delay submittance of certificate.
- 30 days to inform board re: address change
- Practicing medicine without license - misdemeanor or felony?
- Physician + non physician can't form business - Can perform abortion to protect mother if fetus has severe neurologic deficit
- What is required if license expired 3 yrs?
- Board disciplinary actions on MDs are public record not private
-Alzheimer's, AIDS, alcoholism and epilepsy are not mental illnesses.
- Restrictions on HIV positive MD; whether restricted from all procedures or only exposure prone ones and whether HIV positive MDs can do exposure prone procedure if pt is unable to give consent or denial (i.e. trauma, incapacitated)
- Time to give medical records to pt vs. attorney
- Mental health inpt exceptions to minor admittance
- What schedules can PAs and NPs rx (II as well, per latest update)
- Need to be rural for MD to make money prescribing medication
- How long to keep pt records
-Do you need special license to perform a rape exam?
Thanks Can you also post the answers

Just took it and wanted to update. I used the Ben white book. Read it 1x and made Anki cards from it. Went through the card deck twice. Took the test after a total of about 3 hours studying. Got a 90%.

I'd say about half the exam is common sense, and nearly all of the remaining half is in the Ben White book. Maybe 4-5 questions that were not in the book.

You don't need any other resources, or to spend a ton of time worrying about this exam :)

90% with just doing those free flash cards. OP did a great job organizing a lot of the information in this post.

Also want to give +1 to the Ben White book. Read it through once and immediately took the exam, passed with a score in the upper 80s. As others have said, this is mostly common sense.

How long did it take for you guys to get your Texas medical license after submitting all of the required documents? Did it really take up to 6 months?

How long did it take for you guys to get your Texas medical license after submitting all of the required documents? Did it really take up to 6 months?
No. I'll get it at the end of this week about 6 weeks after, and I think it would have been faster except there was a page that one of my program directors had just forgotten to sign when they turned in their packet.

Naturally, if you have any red flags or need to explain anything it could take longer.

Google (texas admin code physician in your search string or Texas Medical Board) / passed 82%

I did not bother with resources / studying first time around, I figured if I failed I could then spend another 34 dollars +few hours studying + 10 dollar ben white book

I'm taking the TMB JP exam soon. Any free resources / ANKI cards /Quizlets to use? Do I really have to purchase Ben White's book? Is the exam open book? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I'm taking the TMB JP exam soon. Any free resources / ANKI cards /Quizlets to use? Do I really have to purchase Ben White's book? Is the exam open book? Thanks in advance.
It’s not an open book exam, you really do have to learn the laws and penalties

Thanks. Is Ben White's book enough then. Any other resources?
It’s been a long time since I took this test so the study guide I used is certainly out of date, but the others above have studied more recently & given good advice.
The other good thing is you just take this test once at your initial licensure

I took this weeks ago and studied briefly for it (quizlet flashcards and the guide in the OP).

You do not need to study. It is open book/open internet. Do not pay for any study materials. You can copy and paste the questions directly from the test website into google.

Of course I didn't do this because I am an honorable fellow and totally believe in the necessity of passing the JP exam of my own merit.

Good luck all.

• Haha
I took the exam yesterday passed w 90 score first attempt after reading TMB study guide once (3 hrs). Unfortunatelty, I bought it ($100) before I stumbled on this post. You surely can do without it as most recommend. Least expensive strategy is to use the study guide mentioned in this post ($5 on Amazon), Quizlet flash cards (free 7d trial) and high yield point outlined in this post. Exam is straight forward and common sense. Good luck!